Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Salas & Ricardo,

Measured both silver mica: one 46,3nF & the other 46,4nF, so as all supposed I need to add more capacitance: 0,7nF & 0,6nF

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So I need to buy:
1 cap 270pF + 330pF = 600pF
2 cap 100pF + 270pF + 330pf = 700 pF

I have several silver mica at home to fine adjustment due to the fact tolerance of these silver mica caps is 1%

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas & Ricardo,

Measured both silver mica: one 46,3nF & the other 46,4nF, so as all supposed I need to add more capacitance: 0,7nF & 0,6nF

So I need to buy:
1 cap 270pF + 330pF = 600pF
2 cap 100pF + 270pF + 330pf = 700 pF

I have several silver mica at home to fine adjustment due to the fact tolerance of these silver mica caps is 1%

If your measurements are good and there is no tendency for less in your LCR bridge (have you got any cross checked cap on another instrument to compare?), then Ricardo's a little more mids is explained with nominal caps. He added a bit of value by ear. I have also found the Riaa caps of other types (MKP, MKT radials) a bit less in the past. Never more.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
If your measurements are good and there is no tendency for less in your LCR bridge (have you got any cross checked cap on another instrument to compare?), then Ricardo's a little more mids is explained with nominal caps. He added a bit of value by ear. I have also found the Riaa caps of other types (MKP, MKT radials) a bit less in the past. Never more.

No I don't have another instrument to compare the cross checked cap. Mine LCR is very sensitive: measuring pF with or without cables don't measure the same is better without cables: normally cable add some few pF, so I trust in mine LCR, also everytime that I do a measurement with cables 1st I measure without cap & after with cap so the difference is the real value, when I measure without cables the display read always 0.

No I don't trust in mine ears I prefer measured caps for RIAA.

What's your opinion about polysterene caps MKS for RIAA?

--------

Rcruz

Ricardo if you want I can measure your RIAA caps to fine adjustment.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Sometimes DMM readings are inferior to real value.... I did not need 1700p but only 120p // 47n for C2 (My DMM reads 45,3 on these caps)

On the other cap 15.720n I settled on // 270p.

The resistor values also affect the curve so I know this is a compromise but it sounds really good now.

As usual, I experimented with numerous other values and found the following trick:

For C3 (16n) one must choose the lowest possible bypass value (450p, 330p, 270p, 220p) that does not produce a metallic shin on the sound (270p in my case)

After that you increase C2 (47n) bypass until you loose the excesive high freq forwardness while not loosing "snap".

Ricardo

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sometimes DMM readings are inferior to real value.... I did not need 1700p but only 120p // 47n for C2 (My DMM reads 45,3 on these caps)

On the other cap 15.720n I settled on // 270p.

The resistor values also affect the curve so I know this is a compromise but it sounds really good now.

As usual, I experimented with numerous other values and found the following trick:

For C3 (16n) one must choose the lowest possible bypass value (450p, 330p, 270p, 220p) that does not produce a metallic shin on the sound (270p in my case)

After that you increase C2 (47n) bypass until you loose the excesive high freq forwardness while not loosing "snap".

Ricardo

Thks for sharing Ricardo,

Interesting opinion, I try the same like you as point to start RIAA tuning:)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I used to tune my guitar by ear.... (never got a diapasão).

This comes a long way....my mother had a piano at home and I used to "detune" it when very young.... maybe now I will have another go :)

Nevertheless, regarding riaa cap tuning I guess I got to the maximum.... I can not lower 16n bypass any more because the sound gets edgy and metalic.... On the other cap I can not go higher because I start loosing "snap" and spatiality.

Ricardo

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I used to tune my guitar by ear.... (never got a diapasão).

This comes a long way....my mother had a piano at home and I used to "detune" it when very young.... maybe now I will have another go :)

Nevertheless, regarding riaa cap tuning I guess I got to the maximum.... I can not lower 16n bypass any more because the sound gets edgy and metalic.... On the other cap I can not go higher because I start loosing "snap" and spatiality.

Ricardo

Take note, thks again:)