Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I bought the silver mica following your kind advice;)

Several pics for fun: Wavetek Meterman LCR55, measured silver mica caps & Vishay-Roderstein MKP1837.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As you can see I have 4 silver mica marked 2% & 4 marked 5%, 3 caps 2% are 330,1pF & 1 cap 324,1pF (all reach 2%) so I have 3 matched caps, 4 caps 5% are from 320,1pF till 337,1pF all 4 with differents values (all reach 5%) but no one of these can do any matched pair, but it's not necessary due to the fact that is to add to other caps to reach total capacitance.

About Vishay-Roderstein MKP1837 marked 1% tol. you can see I have 3 caps under 9,90nF so don't reach the 1% tol., the other 7 caps all reach 1% tol. (I got 2 matched pairs 2 caps 9,91nF & 2 caps 9,90nF) the others 3 caps are differents values.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
It is important to match caps so you get the same subjective loudness / tone in both channels.

I always do it.... but I can not rely on my DMM capacitance readings for absolute value determinance. (It gives differences between 3% and 5% depending on the state of the batterie :(

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Caro Nicoch46,

Yes I know also is better Toshiba Jfet's, but mixing with LT I don't know how will be the results.

I suppose that if it's better semi Toshiba I hear better the sound using them, but also it's very important how is implemented the jfet in the circuit so in mine case I don't know will be the best solution.

Cari saluti e grz per la risposta

---

Salas, could you let me know your opinion? thks

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So you raccomend me Toshiba 2SK170GR for Q6 with 100R R17, ok?

The circuit for you is drawn with 10.5mA Idss everywhere. But you said you have a couple of low ones too. Presumably GR(een)? So if you make R17 from original 220R to 100R I roughly calculate that you will get about 2.5mA current to run your LEDS still. Because the B+ is rather high for LowMC versions we need to moderate the current in the LEDs CCS (Q6) to keep the dissipation on it in control.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
After a long listening session I found 270p not good to bypass 16n.
The sound became slightly harsh so I reverted to my previous choice: 330p // 15720p.

This combination produces sweet highs with very good detail and attack.

Now focusing in the 47n bypass, I am listening to //300p styroflex.

Plus:
The bass tone is very good
The bass is potent
No harsness aparent in the mids and highs
Less presence in the mids
More even overall presentation

Minus:
Lost cinemascope spaciousness
Surface noise is much more aparent ! (I believe this is due to the recessed midrange... To hear the mids at the same volume and "snap" as before I crank the volume up and I hear more surface noise:))

Ricardo

PS these mods take a long time to verify because the hear has to become used to the new presentation after every change.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Looks like your main 47n cap is full to its nominal value enough. Or just needs 100-150p to complete it maybe. If you don't have those, maybe you have more 300p to put first in series and then parallel the whole to the main cap, so to ear where that would take it. HP digital bridges with DF etc are not on every DIYer's desktop.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas

Reduced 47n bypass to a small 120p styro and the magic came back (for some reason, the styro works better than a smica here... maybe because I am using a film cap as 47n).

Now I lost the edginess but still can taste the big stereoscopic effect.

I believe the lean sound comes from the power amp and not from the riaa.

PS:
Today I completed the psu + shunt section on the 57dB riaa (during that move I had the frightening experience of an exploding fuse "bad connections on the main switch :(" ... As I was using a 3A fuse, the short was explosive....... must be very carefull :))

Ricardo