My DIY Teres Turntable - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2007, 02:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My DIY Teres Turntable

Hi. I received the Teres acrylic platter and bearing assy today in perfect condition. I bought them from an other user, randytsuch. It was very well packed. Thanks Randy.

My teardrop wood base is in the making at a furniture maker shop. He will charge me only about 50-60$ to make the complete base and armboard, all made of dried maple, laminated and ready for finishing. It doesn't worth to do it myself ;-)

I'm planning to put bird-eye maple veneer on it and nice lacquer finish.

I have 3 diamond cones feet on order to put under the turntable.
I already have my own version of Mark Kelly Maxon battery supply motor controller already built and ready to go.
One of my contact in Europe will build me a nice pulley for the new mylar tape drive as used in the new Teres. He can also get me the Maxon Motor.

I'll start the motor enclosure in the next week. It may well be a BIX turntable motor casing with a custom top plate to fit the Maxon motor.

Finally, I'm planing to build a DIY Shroeder tonearm to go with it. A lot of fun in the making.
Old 5th October 2007, 02:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here the platter. I'll buy the Teres record clamp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the platter.jpg (62.4 KB, 5116 views)
Old 5th October 2007, 03:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The main bearing. The oil was missing, but an other user that help me a lot so far mentioned that the oil that Teres use is the "Marvel Air Tool" oil. It is available from amazon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the bearing.jpg (30.3 KB, 4670 views)
Old 5th October 2007, 03:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

And the accessories. I'm trying to get the original Teres 1/2 Mylar tape pulley but didn't get any reply from Teres Chris Brady so far. I would like to buy the original pulley if possible. More on it latter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the parts.jpg (55.3 KB, 4513 views)
Old 5th October 2007, 03:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: My DIY Teres Turntable

Quote:
Originally posted by Algar_emi
Hi. I received the Teres acrylic platter and bearing assy today in perfect condition. I bought them from an other user, randytsuch. It was very well packed. Thanks Randy.

My teardrop wood base is in the making at a furniture maker shop. He will charge me only about 50-60$ to make the complete base and armboard, all made of dried maple, laminated and ready for finishing. It doesn't worth to do it myself ;-)

I'm planning to put bird-eye maple veneer on it and nice lacquer finish.

I have 3 diamond cones feet on order to put under the turntable.
I already have my own version of Mark Kelly Maxon battery supply motor controller already built and ready to go.
One of my contact in Europe will build me a nice pulley for the new mylar tape drive as used in the new Teres. He can also get me the Maxon Motor.

I'll start the motor enclosure in the next week. It may well be a BIX turntable motor casing with a custom top plate to fit the Maxon motor.

Finally, I'm planing to build a DIY Shroeder tonearm to go with it. A lot of fun in the making.
Hi
Good, glad everything arrived safely.

Good luck with your project, sounds like you will have a really nice TT when you're done, I am sure it will rival some high end tables.

Glad you're making better use of the stuff than I did.

Randy
Old 5th October 2007, 03:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

FYI:

I used synthetic oil in mine: 5W30 IIRC.

The Teres clamp is excellent - I have the delrin one and its very good in operation - you know the way its used, right? with the spacer under it etc?

Chris can be a little slow to respond to emails, try ringing him.

Teres also have a brass thrust plate that the ball at the bottom of the bearing runs on - it has a little dimple of teflon or delrin at the centre. If you don't have that, ask Chris about it too.

I'm sure you'll be happy its a great TT.

Fran
Old 5th October 2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: My DIY Teres Turntable

Old 5th October 2007, 03:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm really counting on your community help to get this project up and running. Yes, I got the Delrin pad (white little disk) with the rest of the bearing parts. I'll try to call Chris, thanks for the tips.
Old 5th October 2007, 05:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The black disc is the spacer between the platter and record then clamp. The white disc (teflon) goes into the bearing.
Old 5th October 2007, 08:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Oh yeah, I see that white disc now. I don't think thats the best solution for your thrust plate. If you're talking to Chris, get him to send you a new one - its brass and a lot more rigid.

Fran

Hide this!Advertise here!