Need help with the NE5543N opamp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Leon08 is offline Leon08  Germany
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
I have a strange problem , I attached 20V+ to pin 7 and ground (0 ) to pin 4 .

I messured volt on pin 7 and he has 0 DC volt and 1.5 AC volt .

may be there is problem in my circut I cant understand what is it
It needs dual power supply +15V -15V and you are using single.It does not work this way.
If you want to use single supply you need to create a "virtual ground" between +15V and 0V or Ground.
Old 17th April 2012, 12:34 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I just blew up the chips ...

never mind my qeustions I have to get another opamps ..
Old 17th April 2012, 01:07 PM   #13
Simon B is offline Simon B  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Your circuit, as drawn is getting there, but the signals you're inputting swing +ve and -ve with respect to ground (0v). If the op-amp doesn't have a -ve voltage supply it can't produce an output that's -ve.

There are two possible solutions to this:

Either provide twin rail power supplies, ie a +ve and a -ve, say 10-15v +ve, on pin 7, and 10-15v -ve on pin 4. Not too much, the Texas Instruments 5534 can only take +/- 20v, ie a total of 40v, dc max, and when you rectify ac to dc, its voltage can end up higher.

Or, keep the single +ve power rail, and let the signals going through the op amp swing around a point half way between V+ and 0v. You could do this by adding another two 100k resistors, one to each channel, from the junction of the input capacitor, the 100k resistor and the 1k resistor to the +ve supply.

Unfortunately though it seems that you have a more serious problem to deal with first.

If you're feeding the chips what ought to be +20v, to pin 7, and what you actually measure is 0v dc and 1.5v ac, then something is definitely very wrong. I think you need to disconnect your power supply from the preamp, and see if it's working ok - what are you using to provide power?

It's clear that you're quite inexperienced. We all were once, though mostly we like to forget about the sort of frustrations we suffered through ignorance and bad soldering. There are quite a few things you could be doing wrong and because you don't know what to look for, it's frustrating for people on here who might help you, so keep your brain plugged in, think about it, try to provide as much relevant information as you can when you do ask a question. Try to read around the subject, with the net you have a big library to look in.

Old 17th April 2012, 01:11 PM   #14
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Remind me?

Does a 5534 blow up, if the +IN & -IN & Output are all connected to -ve rail?
Old 17th April 2012, 01:16 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
........I want the preamp to have gain of X5
then,
for a non-inverting topology the ratio of the feedback resistors should be 4 to 1, i.e. 39k & 10k gives X4.9 and Rin = 39k

If you use inverting topology then the feedback resistor ratio should be 5 to 1, i.e. 51k & 10k gives X5.1 and Rin = 10k

Last edited by AndrewT; 17th April 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 17th April 2012, 01:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Remind me?

Does a 5534 blow up, if the +IN & -IN & Output are all connected to -ve rail?

I should think it would do, though I can't see that he said that he'd done that. Some of them at least are on thin ice when fed 44v as opposed to 40v - think about it, and don't take the p*** too much - pride cometh before a fall, as I never stop finding out myself

And please, pretty please, let him get the thing working a bit before we try to get his gain up from 4 to 5 - first things first!
Old 17th April 2012, 01:18 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Simon, I don't know who you are directing all that diatribe at, but it seems to me to be inappropriate.

The schematic shows all those PINs tied to -ve rail.
I don't know the answer to my question and that is why I asked. I have probably read or been told the answer, but I don't remember. That is why I led in with "remind me".

Last edited by AndrewT; 17th April 2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 17th April 2012, 01:25 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Simon, I don't know who you are directing all that diatribe at, but it seems to me to be inappropriate.

Ah relax Andrew - come on! Diatribe? Nah!

Quote:
The schematic shows all those PINs tied to -ve rail.
I don't the answer to my question and that is why I asked. I have probably read or been told the answer, but I don't remember. That is why I led in with "remind me".

You might possibly be right about the output being shorted to ground, I was hoping he saw those "100k straight lines" as resistors, not wire links - maybe a bit over optimistic of me!

The inputs look ok to me though, not tied to ground at all! I hope we're looking at the same schematic....hand drawn, bit feint and blurry?
Old 17th April 2012, 01:38 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
The inputs look ok to me though, not tied to ground at all! I hope we're looking at the same schematic....
there is only one schematic.

A quick mental arithmetic on the 3 PINs gives me about 500mV on +IN and 500mV on -IN and this results in about 1500mV on OUT.
That confirms all these PINs are tied to -ve rail.
Old 17th April 2012, 01:42 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Yes it blew , allot of smoke came out of them .
I give up and threw the opamp to the trash

Quote:
pride cometh before a fall
Yep , true , as written in the bible in hebrew " לִפְנֵי שֶׁבֶר גָּאוֹן וְלִפְנֵי כִשָּׁלוֹן גֹּבַהּ רוּחַ "
i dont know how it written in english bilble

thanks for all the replays , have a nice day .

Hide this!Advertise here!