Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My DCB1 is working fine, but I have a few questions.....

I'm running 10 ohm R's (200ma config) with two separate 60VA 12V single secondary transformers (so 120VA total). My DC output voltages are +10.04 and -10.11 and the unloaded transformer voltages are about 13.2VDC. I understand that for most of the various hot rod configs at least 15VDC/50VA is recommended. How do I test/verify that I have enough voltage headroom with my transformers? Should I measure the DC output voltage stability with a 5K or 10K load on the outputs at full input signal?

I'm also measuring 2V across the 10R on the IRFP240 side and 1.75V across the 10R on the 9240 side, so 200ma and 175ma. I understand this is the quiescent current for the shunt part of the PS.

Is it normal to have 25ma different between the + and - sides? I am assuming that it is, and is probably no big deal.

VAC on secondaries you probably mean. Measure DC across DCB1's filter capacitors. If it is >VDC rails by 5V even in your lowest mains expected, then you are OK. Signal demand is a minute portion, the PSU setting is the constant current hog.
Its normal to have differences in non Vgs matched MOSFETs especially when opposite sexes like those in opposite rails here that have more Vgs differences than in same sex batch spread. That leads to some (inconsequential) quiescent dif. You may trim that by the setting resistors but to no perceptible gain.