Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sure thing is to measure I max with A meter in series and then fuse, but I am not recommending messing with the mains especially in A mode, don't do it, especially with non well protected DMMs which are the majority. If with no HRC fuses, flame containing etc. like Flukes are, they may blow in your face in case of a mistake. Better try a couple of fuses incrementally for your circuit that will contain the trafo's surge current.

I am hoping to do something with tubes for the preamp. And I do have some of your HV boards. I am just being a bit cautious as I don't want to put money into something that is going to degrade what I have now after spending the time and money on it.

The Salks by the way I was not prepared for. It was such a good deal I got on them. And a friend with a pair of HT2TL's so I knew I really liked Salks. I also had an opportunity to hear a few other Salks before this deal came around.

So do you have any suggestions??

How about going dual mono by using two hypnotize boards, and populating only one channel of each buffer? This solves the mechanical problem of attaching a monster heat sink, although at the expense of nearly doubling the parts.

I don't think that hotrodding two boards to 600 ma will be appropriate with an 80 va toroid. 160 va would be much better.

How about going dual mono by using two hypnotize boards, and populating only one channel of each buffer? This solves the mechanical problem of attaching a monster heat sink, although at the expense of nearly doubling the parts.

I don't think that hotrodding two boards to 600 ma will be appropriate with an 80 va toroid. 160 va would be much better.

Mine are at 600mA (using two for balanced) and using 100VA transfos on each. The transfos don't even get warm. 80VA ought to be more than enough

Do

Joined 2006
Paid Member