Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2010, 08:12 PM   #211
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxTurbo View Post
Would anybody see any reason not to use a Mundorf Silver oil in the .22uF position? Other then the size issue obviously.
You use what you like best. We had a member testing some and he was keen on the Wima as a safe widely recommended and logically priced bet, that's all.
Old 30th August 2010, 08:13 PM   #212
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was also looking at doing Caddock TF0's in the 220K position instead of the TX2352's.
Any thoughts?
That's what I use, and an MK-132V in 1M position, like dvb.
I think the money is best spent on the 220R position myself, being in direct signal path.
It is most influenced in the signal path, and resistor swapping in general here WILL yield results in sonic character.
To me, the Z foils are worth it.
I paid about $10.00 each for mine for 4 qty.
I am planning to put some in an F5 signal path to see what happens...
Salas Boards 2014 #2 SHIPPING |F5TC board and power supplies available PM | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits available PM |Mesmerize kits available (no boards)
Old 30th August 2010, 08:39 PM   #213
CxTurbo is offline CxTurbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice Salas and Tea-Bag.

I think I will have a knock out pre combining Hypnotize with the Lighter Note attenuator and the AMB Gamma 2 DAC\Sigma 11 PSU.

Tanks again for the advice.
Old 30th August 2010, 08:47 PM   #214
diyAudio Chief Moderator

The final combination of parts could end up individual to the set, we can not foretell what suits best in a total. Silver oil could be too open in a ''fast'' parts neighborhood for instance. I would check out some parts after break in. There is always a higher ''high''.
Old 30th August 2010, 09:01 PM   #215
diyAudio Member

lol, could not agree more. I will start with the wima and move on from there. I have always been partial to Mundorf so that is why I naturally started in that direction. I also took part in DVB's group buy on the 4700uF PS caps.
Old 30th August 2010, 09:02 PM   #216
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What value capacitor is recommend at the output as niether my Aleph 5 or unfinished F5 has an input capacitor? I seem to remember reading this somewhere but can't seem to find it again. Thanks in advance.

Keith
Old 30th August 2010, 09:15 PM   #217
diyAudio Chief Moderator

2.2uF would work even down to a 20k Zin amp.
Old 31st August 2010, 12:48 AM   #218
diyAudio Member

Quote:
lol, could not agree more. I will start with the wima and move on from there. I have always been partial to Mundorf so that is why I naturally started in that direction. I also took part in DVB's group buy on the 4700uF PS caps.
Here's another opinion to further obfuscate the issue

There are better places in a circuit to use the lauded 0.22uf Mundorf SIO as opposed to a bypass cap in an LED chain! Besides, when you look at the size of the cap and the space you have on the board...it starts making even less sense. Save that cap for another project!

I've started and most likely will stop with the WIMA in that position. The critical parts are the resistors and Jfet in the buffer circuit, the PS caps (4700uf), the attenuator and I/O section (RCA's or XLR's in my case). Salas has done all the work with the shunt regulated PS so that's nice. I'm using TX2575 for the 220 ohm resistors (matched to 1%), Caddock TF020's for the 220K resistors and either Caddock TF020's or Caddock MK132's for the 1 megaohm resistor. Again, I am building a differential version so matching of the key components in the buffer circuit can make a difference.

Anand.
Old 31st August 2010, 12:56 AM   #219
mach1 is offline mach1  Australia
diyAudio Member

qusp,

RS Australia has the relay:

RS Stock No. 369-696 Manufacturer Omron Manufacturer's part number G6H-2-100 12DC. Price A$13.90 ea + GST. Free delivery.
Old 31st August 2010, 02:25 AM   #220
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycavsr2000 View Post
Here's another opinion to further obfuscate the issue

There are better places in a circuit to use the lauded 0.22uf Mundorf SIO as opposed to a bypass cap in an LED chain! Besides, when you look at the size of the cap and the space you have on the board...it starts making even less sense. Save that cap for another project!

I've started and most likely will stop with the WIMA in that position. The critical parts are the resistors and Jfet in the buffer circuit, the PS caps (4700uf), the attenuator and I/O section (RCA's or XLR's in my case). Salas has done all the work with the shunt regulated PS so that's nice. I'm using TX2575 for the 220 ohm resistors (matched to 1%), Caddock TF020's for the 220K resistors and either Caddock TF020's or Caddock MK132's for the 1 megaohm resistor. Again, I am building a differential version so matching of the key components in the buffer circuit can make a difference.

Anand.
Good advice.

Thank you sir.

Exact direction I have decided on.

Hide this!Advertise here!