Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

I have a question regarding the use of an aluminum case to sink the heat. The case I'm using is approximately 31x41cm and it is in raw unfinished aluminum. Will having the inside and outside of the case painted affect its ability to dissipate the heat? I could leave the bottom panel unpainted if necessary.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Salas, from the build guide
____
2. MATCHING THE LED STRINGS
Your goal is 9V total for Vref string and 5.4V total for CCS string.
So match your Vref strings by testing your leds with 5-6 mA.

__
Should we be using 10-20ma LED's? I think I've been using 2ma type, or whatever is in blog.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
To do the 600mA hotrod version with a constant heat dissipation in my case,
i had to find a solution to get the heat from my heatsinks also to the 3mm aluminum bottom of my case.

Here is what i´ve done

I have made three 15mm copper blocks.
These goes under the heatsinks of the shunts and the rectifier diodes.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here one mounted with "Arctic Silver 5" thermal conductance paste under the shunt sink.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

No the blue goes on top the 10mm spacer and i fix the copper blocks on the bottom of my case.

I think an optimal solution.

:cheers:

nice work, I have also been doing the same thing for my ackodac/D1, I get my copper from A&E metals and am building a copper/al wall down the middle of my dac and covering the floor ;) except difference for me is I am bolting the devices directly to the copper, which is then bolted through to the alloy, copper to breathe the heat in, alloy to breathe it out

Last edited: