Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think for the 600mA Version we must also think about the cooling of the rectifier diodes!

The diodes are on pcb's edge for a reason. In case heavy PSU only for other applications, or heavy hotrod are going to be engaged. Though their little voltage drop starts them hot much later than the Mosfets. I would mount mount them to the chassis floor soldered under board. Silicon pads again of course. Aim for no more than 50C on any sink or metallic surface.

Lucas

Just to re-assure you, the R-cores you mention are actually very good. I have been thinking the same as you and will get one for my DCB1 build. I already have one of the R-cores for a DAC and it works well.

The R26-34 is the one. The secondaries are slightly higher than stated, so it will be something like 2 x 0 - 11V / 2 x 0 - 17V

They are slightly cheaper here:

DIYCLUB

Hi Rich, those secondaries being higher - is that attributable to the primary voltage rating of 220 or 230v AC and our mains being 240v AC. Transformers for the world market are always a touch higher voltage here, but normally only over the rating by about half as much as what you've stated there. I would have expected about 15.6v & 9.4v.

Anyway, I'd love to go for a group buy, if only to save on postage. Bear in mind that whoever takes delivery then has to post out, so there is a further cost...but it's still a massive bargain.

Hold on a minute....will it be any cheaper us buying together? Is there a minimum order for free shipping, or what?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Fired up the DCB1 tonight. Sounds very nice indeed. I have it integrated with Uriah's Lightspeed running off 4xAAs and a Mezmerize switcher section. Very nice indeed. I need to give it a proper crank tomorrow in the daytime though...

Don't tell you got 100dB sensitive horn speakers like DVB also! The key is to have enough gain as a whole so not to lose max comfortable power if with a buffer control unit. See about that tomorrow.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The diodes are on pcb's edge for a reason. In case heavy PSU only for other applications, or heavy hotrod are going to be engaged. Though their little voltage drop starts them hot much later than the Mosfets. I would mount mount them to the chassis floor soldered under board. Silicon pads again of course. Aim for no more than 50C on any sink or metallic surface.

Sure.
I have thought about another extremely nice looking solution to get the Rth of my heatsinks down.
If i am ready, i have no problem to use the 600mA version without calling the ambulance if i touch the sinks! :cheerful:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Just to confirm, I've ordered that R-core from DIYClub. It was free shipping for just the one, so it will be the same for all of us...no group buy needed! Thanks for the sourcing tip!

Lucas are you sure its free shipping. I was going to place an order but part way through one of the pages states in red letters that the price does not include shipping but the shopping cart only shows the item price. I've emailed them to see what they say as a guy in HK on ebay was charging more for shipping than the cost of a transformer!
While on the subject of Diyclub has anyone experience of their remote control attenuators.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
-High End Volume control board , Mono Mono Design
-Japan made Resistor : Tokyo Den-On Resistor
-Super stable output impedance design
-Pure resistance feedback, No sound distortion
-Seperated Power Regulator Board, minimize interfance
-with relay switching between different resistance value
--99dB ~ 0dB / 1dB per step , totally 100 steps
-4 relay input channels, Blue LED Display, Remote handset
-suitable for DIY Gene preamplifier/amplifier chassis/case
-R2R design, impedance varies from 22KOhm ~ 7-8KOhm when you change step.

Would this work with the DCB1.