Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2009, 12:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default "...the best preamplifier ever made" says Mr. David Price, Hi-Fi- World

today I have discover this:
Music First Audio : : Welcome to our website and
Passive pre amplifier
A special version with auto transformer for step-up
Are there any experiences about sound quality in different chains?
What about large distances of connection lead (connection wire) to the power amps?
Thank you for your comments.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Hope you didn't buy it, as Lightspeed Attenuator was compared with it at a gathering of audiophiles in Melbourne, and the Lightspeed Attenuator was unanimously the winner in every way.
The Music First Audio TVC Reference: sells for £8,995!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where the Lightspeed Attenuator sells for the equivelent £276 posted!

Cheers George
Old 15th December 2009, 11:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've heard one in a high end very revealing system and I would say that yes, it is very good indeed. However, I don't think its the best preamp ever made by a long shot. My own aikido valve pre was at least as good. The pass DCB1 with standard parts would probably be as good as well. I find it very hard indeed to move from an active preamp. In factit severely calls into doubt Mr. Price's listening experience or credibility if he said that.

So not worth the cash I would think. FWIW, the copper based model is somewhere around STG£1200-1500 and the silver based one is more at about STG£2500 I think. Not sure exactly what the reference has that the others don't with the exception of remote control for selection and volume. Handles nicely though and they will custom wire things like home theatre pass throughs etc etc. I just don't know about long lead lengths etc

Georges Lightspeed is so incredibly much more value its not funny.

Fran
Old 15th December 2009, 11:56 PM   #4
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post

Georges Lightspeed is so incredibly much more value its not funny.

Fran
and 1/8th the price too!
Old 16th December 2009, 12:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Well, the comparison is not that simple. The TVC can actually work as stand alone preamp, offering 6dB gain, high input impedance and low output impedance, it can be wired for phase reversing and unbalanced to balanced (and opposite) conversion, all without any additional active circuitry.

Can your Lightspeed do all that?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 16th December 2009, 01:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
The comparison, sound wise it was that simple.
For the extra £7,500 I think I could get it to fly to the moon @ Lightspeed.
Who needs gain anyway a CD players output is capable of overdriving into clipping about 99% of poweramps out there.

Cheers George

Last edited by georgehifi; 16th December 2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 16th December 2009, 01:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

As I've been using those transformers for last 5 years, I can assure you that comparison is not that simple.

The sound of particular units varied and depended not only on the version (MK1 - MK3) but also on production run, wiring etc.

In sound wise comparisons, the associated equipment had substantial influence on overall effect. Some people didn't like it at all with SS amps while raving about applications with tube electronics. BTW, copper version sounded much better than silver, I had both and both had been reviewed by 6moons.

£7,500 is irrelevant here, those transformers cost approx $500 directly from a source, if you can still get them. Whatever else is done with them is up to end user.

Who needs gain? Well, whoever uses amps with low gain or low efficiency speakers, and not everybody uses CD.

In my application, 6db is exactly what I need (12dB on the amp and 95dB on speakers, output stage bypassed in a DAC)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 16th December 2009, 02:00 AM   #8
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
As I've been using those transformers for last 5 years, I can assure you that comparison is not that simple.

The sound of particular units varied and depended not only on the version (MK1 - MK3) but also on production run, wiring etc.

In sound wise comparisons, the associated equipment had substantial influence on overall effect. Some people didn't like it at all with SS amps while raving about applications with tube electronics. BTW, copper version sounded much better than silver, I had both and both had been reviewed by 6moons.

£7,500 is irrelevant here, those transformers cost approx $500 directly from a source, if you can still get them. Whatever else is done with them is up to end user.

Who needs gain? Well, whoever uses amps with low gain or low efficiency speakers, and not everybody uses CD.

In my application, 6db is exactly what I need (12dB on the amp and 95dB on speakers, output stage bypassed in a DAC)
would you buy one right now Peter ? I think what he is trying to say is that 7500E, is a little pricey.
Old 16th December 2009, 02:20 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I already have 3 of them (although built differently), don't need another one
Old 16th December 2009, 02:38 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
Not sure exactly what the reference has that the others don't with the exception of remote control for selection and volume.
Well, from a review it looks like the new design has double the steps (46 instead of 23), 25% more Permalloy in their cores and some new geometry.

George I didn't catch it initially, did you actually compared the new Reference model?

Hide this!Advertise here!