Yet another Volume controlers and source selections - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2010, 12:20 PM   #181
danzup is offline danzup  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnose View Post
Danzup,

thanks for the answer.

But I do understand that bigger displays will (physically) not fit the PCB without modifying. Could you kindly confirm ?

Cheers,

Max
There is no need to fit in size if the interface connector is the same !
( no problems if the LCD is bigger if the connector fits well on pcb )
Old 13th May 2010, 02:28 AM   #182
diyAudio Member

project nr.3 looks like just what I've been looking for!

I'm new to all this so I have some questions, anyone can help I would greatly appriciate it.

I plan on using it as a passive pre-amp for some chipamp.com gainclones, would it be suitable as is or would it need any modification?

If i did need to mod it do I just need to change the firmware on the atmega chip? I think I have a few atmega16's and a parallel port programmer from wii project so that would be handy

Surface mount scares me a little as I've only ever done through hole but etching my own boards doesn't as I know I can get help with that. Is it better for me to make my own or are there through hole pcbs available? I'm happy to buy kits, I just don't trust my surface mount ability.

Thanks for sharing these designs with the community!
Old 13th May 2010, 04:17 AM   #183
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehead1 View Post
project nr.3 looks like just what I've been looking for!

I'm new to all this so I have some questions, anyone can help I would greatly appriciate it.

I plan on using it as a passive pre-amp for some chipamp.com gainclones, would it be suitable as is or would it need any modification?

If i did need to mod it do I just need to change the firmware on the atmega chip? I think I have a few atmega16's and a parallel port programmer from wii project so that would be handy

Surface mount scares me a little as I've only ever done through hole but etching my own boards doesn't as I know I can get help with that. Is it better for me to make my own or are there through hole pcbs available? I'm happy to buy kits, I just don't trust my surface mount ability.

Thanks for sharing these designs with the community!
That project do not need modifying for gainclones.
You can make your own through hole pcb as the schematics is there .
If you want some changes in firmware , based on my free time I will try to do the changes . The parallel port programmer is perfect !
Here some pcb with r-2r project made as through hole with some bigrelay and big pcb : Picasa Web Albums - suzuki-san - atenuator
I made this for a user that have a tube amplifier and that user want only the volume part . That is for your inspiration .
Old 14th May 2010, 02:02 AM   #184
diyAudio Member

@ sparehead1 :
This Solder side and component side you ask.

Didiet
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PCB Volume.pdf (118.8 KB, 547 views)
File Type: pdf Comp - Volume.pdf (92.6 KB, 467 views)
Old 14th May 2010, 03:07 AM   #185
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by didiet78 View Post
@ sparehead1 :

Didiet
Thank you didiet7, that will help me a lot
Old 14th May 2010, 07:41 AM   #186
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by didiet78 View Post
@ sparehead1 :

Didiet
Congratulation my friend !
That are good looking PCB !
Old 16th May 2010, 04:28 PM   #187
diyAudio Member

@Danzup
I've built volume controller in January (page 9 of this thread). I had some problems because it was my first microcontroller project, but when I fixed all my mistakes, now it works perfectly, like Swiss clock.
I have only one problem. When I sit in my chair to listen to the music, I'm far away from preamp, so I can't see clearly volume setting, numbers are small or my eyes are weak, it doesn't matter. If I used LED display, I could have bigger numbers, but LCD is more "fancy".
Now I have an idea, but I don't know to realize it, so I need your help.
Instead of 2x16 LCD display, I want to use 4x20. All text will be displayed at upper two lines. Bottom two lines will be bar grafic display. Each 7x5 matrix will be one bar, so if I use 16 bars in each of two lines (it's more simple than to use all 20), I'll have 32 bars for 64 volume positions. Each odd or even volume position will add one bar more. I think it will improve this project and will be more attractive for other builders.
Is it possible to realize? Is it simple? Are there enough place in memory?
You must answer these questions. If you have time to write program, I'll be very happy and thankful.
Old 17th May 2010, 01:52 AM   #188
diyAudio Member

@Dobrivoje : what about using VFD instead of LCD?You can still use 16x2
Old 17th May 2010, 03:11 AM   #189
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrivoje View Post
@Danzup
I've built volume controller in January (page 9 of this thread). I had some problems because it was my first microcontroller project, but when I fixed all my mistakes, now it works perfectly, like Swiss clock.
I have only one problem. When I sit in my chair to listen to the music, I'm far away from preamp, so I can't see clearly volume setting, numbers are small or my eyes are weak, it doesn't matter. If I used LED display, I could have bigger numbers, but LCD is more "fancy".
Now I have an idea, but I don't know to realize it, so I need your help.
Instead of 2x16 LCD display, I want to use 4x20. All text will be displayed at upper two lines. Bottom two lines will be bar grafic display. Each 7x5 matrix will be one bar, so if I use 16 bars in each of two lines (it's more simple than to use all 20), I'll have 32 bars for 64 volume positions. Each odd or even volume position will add one bar more. I think it will improve this project and will be more attractive for other builders.
Is it possible to realize? Is it simple? Are there enough place in memory?
You must answer these questions. If you have time to write program, I'll be very happy and thankful.
This have been done in another personal project made by me and posted in the romanian forum as you see in the attached picture . So only need is my free time to add this for that project .
Also a VFD work perfectly in place of LCD , as this is something i have successfully tried already .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCD_tda.jpg (135.7 KB, 962 views)
Old 17th May 2010, 10:24 AM   #190
evansp is offline evansp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Delivery and Supply costs

I would like to purchase pcb's and pre programmed controller etc what are supply status and costs please (to UK)

Hide this!Advertise here!