Yet another Volume controlers and source selections

found the post its post #111, page 12 mostly

the you have on LCD VolR=xxx VolL=xxx xxx is the vol 0 to 182

I did a quick fix now it just show R=xxx L=xxx
the Zip file here
I see in bas file the volume is max 184 but in balance its 255
thats why you see 2 diffrent values
I must check datasheet for PGA to see if balance & volume have max 255 then we just changes vol max to 255

Last edited:
hats off thanks
i will be assembling my amp again, now ith pga2310 and this firmware and TDA7294 as the amp, what i really wana do is a class damp, around 125 or 150 watts max and to make the cabinet as slim as 2 or 2.5" with power supply - 32volts /10 amps

Its Nice, I dont know alot about bulding a amp so my first try will be with
LM3886 & r2r, cheap and its seems easy to make.

Not sure whether this is the right thread, but here goes...

I've just bought the volume/selector boards from here vicol audio : r-2r volume controller. The pcb are unpopulated.

I don't have a problem with soldering SMD, but the ATMEGA16 device is somewhere I've never been before. I've built speakers, through-hole amps and pre-amps before, but never programmed a microprocessor device like this. So, I have a few fundementally stupid questions:

I assume that I can flash the .hex file through the six pin ISP6 interface.
Would a simple hardware connection like this Atmel AVR ATmega16 / ATmega32 Programmer - Cheap Parallel Port Programmer do the job? What do other people use?
Would the device would require power from the programmer or from the volume control board that this device is attached to?

I'm a complete newbie at these devices, any help would be greatly appreciated.

hii i have a problem i dont know whats wrong but when i turn the encoder in one direction the counts go properly , when the encoder is turned in reverse direction it behaves eraticaly, some times showing 90 or 10 or 40, instead of where it was earlier ,
could this be the fault of my encoder or is it some other problem. like the caps going to ground on the encoder pin.

hii i have a problem i dont know whats wrong but when i turn the encoder in one direction the counts go properly , when the encoder is turned in reverse direction it behaves eraticaly, some times showing 90 or 10 or 40, instead of where it was earlier ,
could this be the fault of my encoder or is it some other problem. like the caps going to ground on the encoder pin.

When you have something like this it means you en error on connecting the pins on encoder : check revers connect for A , B or C pins of encoder .

Not sure whether this is the right thread, but here goes...

I've just bought the volume/selector boards from here vicol audio : r-2r volume controller. The pcb are unpopulated.

I don't have a problem with soldering SMD, but the ATMEGA16 device is somewhere I've never been before. I've built speakers, through-hole amps and pre-amps before, but never programmed a microprocessor device like this. So, I have a few fundementally stupid questions:

I assume that I can flash the .hex file through the six pin ISP6 interface.
Would a simple hardware connection like this Atmel AVR ATmega16 / ATmega32 Programmer - Cheap Parallel Port Programmer do the job? What do other people use?
Would the device would require power from the programmer or from the volume control board that this device is attached to?

I'm a complete newbie at these devices, any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can use whatever programmer is supported by Bascom AVR .
Currently i use also an simpler programmer like this (beside my old STK 500) :
Programming an AVR microcontroller
and I use for 6 years also this programmer :
AVR Pony-STK200 Programmer Schematic | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Yes the device must be powered for programming with or without volume board attached .

Do not forget to write fusebit : disable Jtag , Internal 8 MHz RC oscillator .

i like the knob look on the front plate, and i have seen home theaters having 3 knobs all encodrs , it gives it a feel of a analog,,,,
one thing i noticed is when that volume reaches 100 the display shifts, the right volume digit goes of the screen, and when the volume value goes below 100 the display looks normal,
i would like to suggest a change and tha would be lets keep just just volume 50% or volume 50db in the secondline , and when it goes in to balance mode show two different values as per the channel

can i do it by // one line for left channel and rename the right one, as the data sent for both channels is same.

i also found some gitters in the knob , how to deal with it, what i mean is when i turn the shaft volume digits went high and low , when the shaft was turned at a low speed ,
is it my encoders fault or is it some hting else -- noise

I have give you some hints about encoders !
Some line A or B or C are not correct attached or maybe you must check the encoder (try another type /supplier ) as there are many cheap and crappy encoders made in China this days !