ZM's (not) F5 thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Case in point, why NOT a thread entitled "Biasing the F5"?
Hmm... I think that would attract a gazillion comments and questions and you'd be back to square one. A Wiki, as suggested earlier, would probably work better. After Noobs have soaked that up, remaining questions could (hopefully) be answered in...
...succinct, well defined, and relatively short-lived threads.
So anyway, are we allowed to talk about F5 racing in this thread?
:Pawprint:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
can there ever be too many F5 threads :note:

but sure, it could at times be of avantage to search if there is a thread already, and post in that, if it matches your post

well, to read all there have been posted is too much to ask, really
but I would certainly advise to try and 'follow' as many threads as possible
even if the info you want isn't there right now, it may be there next week
or other members may ask the question you didn't know to ask yourself
there's always good info to find
patience is good

that is if its not drowned in .......

btw, if our own search engine doesn't give the answer, google may help you
many google searches lead directly back here
try to google F5 bias, and its first on the page

but I sure hope there will still be questions asked 'here'
I think its ok to guide people to read a bit more
but preferably in a more friendly manner

Seriously though, I don't hang out in Papaland much but fwiw...
In general, I don't have a problem with people starting new threads about whatever. Imho, there's just a couple of things to avoid.

Firstly, don't start multiple threads on exactly the same topic.

More importantly, don't ask random, unrelated questions in the middle of someone else's thread. e.g. A "How to bridge an F5" thread is really not the right place to ask where to buy parts for your F4. Rather start your own "Where to buy XYZ" thread.

Also... different people answer questions in different ways, and different people want different kinds of answer. e.g. Some people will appreciate being told how to work out a component value, while others just want to be told what part to use.

So... If you don't get the answer you want, or the kind of answer you want, there's no point getting angry about it, just try again or rephrase the question or try to be more specific about what you want.
:)
p.s. Is it OK to mount the heatsink sideways so I can fry my breakfast on it?

Hmm... I think that would attract a gazillion comments and questions and you'd be back to square one. A Wiki, as suggested earlier, would probably work better. After Noobs have soaked that up, remaining questions could (hopefully) be answered in...

So anyway, are we allowed to talk about F5 racing in this thread?
:Pawprint:

Good Godfrey! (Or I guess that should be "Good, Godfrey!")..... THe wiki idea makes good sense to me..... would be nice if that could also be factored into the "rules of etiquette" for the Forum. I lke the idea.....

As for F5 racing--as long as you don't show any "bias", I guess it would be OK. Although, actually, REAL auto racing died when Can-Am Racing died.... (sigh....)

So we should post bias questions in the food thread now?
I have no bias against food. I am glad you mentioned that thread. It's become one of my favourites. But I think you knew that.

Hi Cal
Is there a problem of space?
Nope, just doing my job as the librarian/janitor

Any more questions?

to complain about the usefulness of the search engine and then say starting multiple duplicate f5 threads on related subject matter is ok, is to completely miss the point; and somewhat ironic. the search engine is no worse than any other and who says you have to use the forum search engine to search on the forum? boolean terms on google works excellently.

the thing that gets me is people asking very general and even subjective questions and wondering why they get flooded with a world of 1000's of different answers when they just want to be tyold what 'the best' 'insert random part, or technique here' is. complaining when they are told to build several variations and report back

f5 wiki ftw. i want people to have a great resource, but i also want people to use the knowledge to better their own subjective and technical judgement, rather than putting together a happy meal toy from the instructions

imo the best projects are the ones that give you the tools to work it out for yourself, which is why the pass articles are so excellent and i wonder why there is such a lack of interest in reading all of them when wanting to build pass amplifiers. if you dont find or understand the answers from there, then i'm sure people will be more than willing to help, but wanting to skip the learning and go directly to the best outcome from that learning i think is what matybe gets at people. some just want to show how elite they are no matter what, but you get that everywhere and in real life, but i have found people to be very help[ful when i have shown i am willing to put in the hard yards

Last edited:
Part of the problem may be unrealistic expectations by newbies. Why get involved in questions or discussions about modifying or "improving" a Pass design when the first hurdle is to build the standard version.

There are clearly forum members with the expertise and desire to work on taking one of Nelson's designs to another level and equally clearly members that are challenged by the most basic stuff. Frankly, based on questions sometimes asked, I worry about some people being let loose near mains AC.

Build the standard design everyone knows works before pushing your personal envelope.

And to expand on a point that others have made, how about identifying and maintaining threads as either related to the standard build or for discussing modifications. Could make it easier for people to know where to start looking for stuff, avoid confusion, easier to stay on topic, stop the kids on trainer wheels playing on the freeway and hopefully no-one gets offended or hurt.

Quote >stop the kids on trainer wheels playing on the freeway and hopefully no-one gets offended or hurt.

Jimbo51
What are you saiing?

You want me to stop posting?

This started with a couple of bad post by FLG we had our scrap on the play ground and as scraps on the play ground end I seriously hooping that we became best friends.

Call Weldon already said that there is not a space problem so what is yours?

Agree that at times people loose near the mains and such.

But who do you call a Kid and Newbie?

And who gives you the right to do so?

Sorry but the bit about stoping kind on trainers wheels realy get me.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
And that's why it belongs in the Lounge.

Open season gentlemen. Anymore comments on the relocation and I will do bad things with my feet and your posterior. :D Let me do my job and let's move on. Fair enough?

nope

I should obey only if you throw something heavier at my head

:rofl:

Attachments

• air_kiss.gif
    air_kiss.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 86
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
seems that I'll ban few serious posters from this thread :rofl:

seems that my intention with this non F5 thread is exactly wrong taken by same ones

seems that same ones have too much rules in "real" life so they - either want too much rules , or no rules - on public forum

lighten up - this is place where you are free to be best version of you - to share , learn , build , have fun , and - most important factor for that is - to squeeze ego to minimum measure .

F5 is just amp ; just amp , even if - brilliant amp

most important thing anyone can gain from messing with it is - not having built one , or tweaked one , but - to grasp measure of that brilliance

use that F5 koan to live with it some time , then share results with others ..... then proceed to next koan

you can't do that being too ooking serious and vain

I don't know much about electronic , but I know much about pleasure and learning .

so - I don't want to make rules , force anyone to obey them , but I can and want to be flippant whenever I can ( at least that's area where I have certain experience , if not with serious electronic )

:cheers:

edit : and - please - whenever you open new thread about F5 - do that with smile :D ......... it will became a habit ........ good one

Last edited:
Bksabath,

Guess you don't get where I'm coming from.

Firstly newbie is a term used by many to describe themselves. I'd call myself a newbie. It seems to be generally used to indicate one who has limited or no prior experience in building audio equipment. It doesn't relate to length of time on the forum. You could spend years on the forum and still be a newbie if you haven't built your first amplifier.

I wasn't directing the term at any specific individuals - it was a general comment.

The expression about kids and freeways is an old one used in many different contexts. The point I was trying to make using the expression was that I don't think it is productive for either themselves or those trying to help when someone with limited experience (yes, a newbie) initiates a discussion about design changes or "improvements" to a Pass design before they have completed the standard design. Hence my suggestion to clearly identify standard build threads from those involving modifications. That way a newbie won't be so distracted and confused that they never get to finish building an amp.

Just my observations on a good way to climb the learning curve. YMMV

( ZM, sorry to contribute to the seriousness - let's resume normal programming :D:drink::hypno2::idea:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.