Zigmahornets on their way..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Air tight seal Problem. Need help.

Originally posted by Sylver300B would Blue Tack be right to use as a vibration absorber, around the magnet/basket joint??

Blue Tack is a reasonable duct seal substitute... it is probably more expensive (my local supplier sells the same ductseal as in the link above for $2.50 CAD/pound), but it is more colorful.

Every HVAC wholesaler/supplier should have some variety (an HVAC installer without ductseal is like an electrician without electrical tape). Here is Victoria, i buy it at Westburne.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Josephjcole said:
It sounds like the driver hole is not quite big enough, the driver should be able to sit flush on the baffle. Unless of course it was designed to be mounted from the rear of the baffle.

The 103s mount best from the back, but mount fine from the front too.

If for some reason you cann't get it to sit flush, they do sell speaker gasket tape stuff.

Weatherstrip ... my home depot has at least 20 different sizes & types. I like the black closed cell neoprene stuff.

dave

First listen at home

I plugged the Zigs on the Se amp.. Dimmed the lights and put Holy Cole.

Well, there actually "is" some music getting out of these boxes. Nice coherent images, but gee, everything sounds "small". Double bass has shrinked and the lowest octave at least, is gone.

I'll try to play with placement tomorow, and may be try my bedroom, wich is much smaller than living room.

For now, only real criticism is the low end. So little of it that the mids sound prominent. Sounds unbalanced, but very coherent

More later

Zigmas experiments

Well, first trial was terrible, as I said before. Pulling the cabinets backward, close to the wall, brought "some" bass and a slightly better tonal balance, though a suck out in the midbass remained, and a peaky treble. (Foster 10RG11) Using the Behringer Ultracurve brought another improvment..

Then, I tried the YDD-103 (unknown maker) and then, there was a real change. Much much better and extended bass, humble but articulate. The mids are perfect, less peaks and dips all over the mid and treble band, but with a little less treble extension. Fun to listen to. I suppose that a Planet 10 phase plug could bring this little driver up there, among the better ones.

There is hope, after all. ;)

As for the Fosters, I imagine they are better suited to a real TQWT. I'll try to live with them on a longer period and see. Their treble is peaky, I find. Could a phase plug bring some improvment on that score?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.