Zen Variations 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The blue /grey powercon will be used one on the amp and the other on the psu. the colors should be the same in the amp.

I'll use 25V PSU, don't know how much bias yet:(

I'll try it out

If the heat is too high, I'll turn it into a monoblock one fet /sink.

Lets wait and see...

Hey Pedro!

Cool sims... :nod:

i know that building enclosures is the hardest part of DIY!

...if only we could upload that CAD file into a machine that
could spit out the finished product down to the last spec!

the author Neal Stephenson describes such machines in his
book "The Diamond Age"

m.

Battery Based Power Supply

I may test this circuit (or a similar circuit) using lithium battery packs (no grid availability) of plus/minus 48VDC. It seems that I would need to retain the regulator circuitry of the Fig. 8 power supply. The battery pack may have an internal resistance of about 300 milliohms. If the power supply capacitors have lower ESR than the battery pack then I imagine I should retain the entire LCRC network? Or just the capacitors?

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
no need for reg with litiums , but 48Vdc rails are damn high

read F5 Turbo article , to grasp how to cascode input JFets , to keep them safe and sound

also , whatever rails are , with F5-like construction , I wouldn't go bellow 1A Iq , because with lower Iq THD is rising

so - plenty of heat , but A class envelope is small

frankly , with batteries , and especially that high rails , I wouldn't bother with A Class

Thank you again. Perhaps the lithium battery management takes the place of the regulator. Or perhaps I should give up efficiency, build an amplifier with a traditional power supply, and power it from the inverter. Save me from lugging batteries around in my long past grey haired stature. I have read the F5 Turbo article, but I must study it. Or bag the whole project, buy another HPA-1/XA25 and configure one heck of a storage facility. What a 1 KW solar array can't handle can be finished up by the propane generator. I can't take it with me. I need to reach a compromise between the slide rule and the soldering iron. You have been greatly encouraging. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
use these rails , but choose an amp which will work and sound nice with shallow A class

why wasting energy in that special case ?

or , if you have it plenty , use switching step down converters , to go down to 24-ish rails and make any of regular FW format amps

or choose one having single 48V rail (cap coupled , yes)

or accommodate one with originally dual rails - to use one 48Vdc rail

plenty of possible choices

Again, thank you. I am beginning to grasp the parameters. The reason for 48VDC is that the inverter is based on a 48 volt bank. But I could series two portable 24VDC packs and lug them into the cabin at night. I have much to work through. For now, the cabin is not accessible due to snow. Probably not until April/May. I have some time to gather my thoughts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.