Zen V9 J-fet poweramp finished.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Complete amplifier in just few days.
The ZenV9 was in the planning for a while, so Most of the chassis was done at the time you posted the board layout;) Thanks again. I had all the parts on hand allready so it was just a matter of putting it together. No sweat:D
And those heatsinks look swell. Are they getting hot?
I was concerned about the vertical fins, but wanted to try them for the cosmetic impression. They do get hot, but so did every Zen I made, even the Zen8-9 mix with the big big heatsinks
was getting really warm after a couple hours. This new ZenV9 is thermally stable, but I wouldnt like to use smaller heatsinks.
BTW, I was lucky to get those heatsink at work. They were sitting in a powersupply for some welding gear, that was thrown out.
I have 4 more, a little smaller, that would be perfect for a pair of Aleph-J monoblocks:) You know, Choky's Babbelfish:cool:

Steen:)

Attachments

• heatsinks.jpg
    heatsinks.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 2,594
Do you know the rating for power dissapation for the heat sinks you used?
Thanks Richard. No, unfortunately I dont have the rating. I wouldnt use anything smaller than those on the pics, as they do get hot. After the above posts on the subject, I set out to monitor the temperature on the sinks. After more than 3 hours being turned on, the temp had settled around 63,5 deg C. Measured right above the cascode fet, so I guess this is the hottest point. Thats a bit too much for my liking. I am considering to modify the chassis at this point. If the sinks with horisontal fins (not vertical as I said above) are cut in half and each half turned 90 deg. they would be able to dissipate more heat. So there goes the F-amp look I wanted;) But what, better safe than cooking;)

I have connected the fets through leads and placed them evenly on the heatsinks. That helped a lot. I have to admit that the boards of PD and Veteran invites you to place the fets close to the topend of the heatsink. In this case it was a nono!!! Placing the fets at around the middle line of the sinks did the trick:) Aftermathing on that: its pretty obvious isnt it?

Steen:cool:

PS. Looking at PassDIY I realised that there wasnt any ZenV9 present!!! Too bad I thought, and send a note with some pic's to the webmaster. Hope they accept it. The ZenV8 and 9 came out some time ago now and its weird that noone posted yet??

steenoe said:
Thank you very much:cool:
You will find the picture's in the start of this thread.
Yes, its a pair of selfmade Proac Response clones. I veneered them with Elm tree.

Well they look REALLY good. :) I like them. I hope that i can get my speakers that im building done some day. :)

Well they look REALLY good. I like them. I hope that i can get my speakers that im building done some day.
Thanks J':) I am sure you will finish them someday. As always when building something, you want to finish tomorrow:) But it rarely goes that way, does it! With a little patience, you can achieve your goal. Here is another piccie of the speaker, as you can see the veneering sheets were selected so that the front veneer fibre markings, continued on the top;)

Steen:cool:

Attachments

• finer.jpg
    finer.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,074
Nice Speaker Steen

Nice Speaker Steen

Zv9 has know problem driving them the sensitivity of then in the high 80
I am building similar design to those I think I am going to need more power though
I am thinking of building a Aleph 5 but have to fine some heatsinks

Regards
Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.