Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter

IMHO your warm-up issue is more related to the current bias of the TDA1541 DAC, rather than the IV circuit itself.

When using DACs like PCM1704 and AD1865, where such bias is taken care of and stabilised internally inside the IC, we have experienced no such warm up issues. The IV circuits play to their full glory from T=0s, and we have no drift or output DC issues at all.

This is why I suggested you to try out the MAX6126A based current source. The MAX6126A is well compensated for thermal drift. You only need to make sure that you do not spoil that stability by using a drifting resistor. If cost is no issue, I suggest you use the likes of Vishay S102 or Caddock TF020. But at least Vishay Dale CMF60-T2 (50ppm/°C).

(I am assuming of course that the TDA1541 itself is thermal-drift stable.)

Patrick

have you tried the linear tech lt3092 for ccs? I've been meaning to try it out . its a 2 terminal low noise low dropout adjustable CCS

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
The LT3092 is a versatile part for many apps but it doesn't appear to be either high impedance or low noise, compared to more conventional approaches. And although the noise can be reduced by bypassing Rset, they point out that in many applications this will introduce another significant pole and require additional components for compensation. And these will further reduce output impedance.

It does make a low-parts-count and reasonably temp-stable source, but definitely has significant drawbacks.

The LT3092 is a versatile part for many apps but it doesn't appear to be either high impedance or low noise, compared to more conventional approaches. And although the noise can be reduced by bypassing Rset, they point out that in many applications this will introduce another significant pole and require additional components for compensation. And these will further reduce output impedance.

It does make a low-parts-count and reasonably temp-stable source, but definitely has significant drawbacks.

oh yeah sure, its not sub nV low noise, so your right its not ideal, but i do think its a part worth exploring for audio that hasn't really had any airtime here, which surprises me given how versatile it is. I did note the outputZ issue, thanks for the feedback, i still think i'm gonna grab a couple to play with.

In the LT3092, 4 factors determines the output current thermal stability :

1. the reference current source
2. the current setting resistor
3. the output resistor
4. the opamp input offset voltage

Taking the values from the performance graphs on P.4 of the data sheet, the thermal coefficients of (1) is about 20ppm/K.
That of (4) is about 4ppm/K, assuming 2V voltage drop across the resistors.
We can assume that we use good resistors of say 5ppm/K for both 2 & 3.
The worst case thermal drift for (1)~(4) combined is ~ 30ppm/K.

On the other hand, the thermal drift of the MAX6126 current source depends on the tempco of the voltage reference (3ppm/K) and that of Rout (5ppm/K).
It is not difficult to see which has better thermal stability.

As to output current noise, the MAX6126 has 1.3µVp-p for 2.048V. Assuming we need a bias current of 2mA, then the current noise (excluding Rout noise) is 1.27nAp-p. If my sums are correct, the LT3092 has about 200nA noise for 2mA output current.

And the MAX6126 requires one reference resistor less.

So it still gets my vote. ;)

Patrick

Last edited:
haha yeah just a little different, but like i said just a bit of fun and its the versatility and simplicity that i like; plus i'm just addicted to linear tech, coz i love the fantastic app notes.

i've got some of the LTC6655 on the way too 0.25ppm p-p 0.1hz-10hz noise, 2ppm/c max drift. that plus lme49990 and lme49610 will be the new clock reg for my portable. been doing lots of battery power stuff, thus the LT love as efficiency is off the charts generally

The output voltage of the "Easy-to-build I/V stage" is not well-determined without at least some resistor at the junction of Q2 and Q4. However, the voltage swing will be limited drastically if the resistor is small and tied to ground.

You would think a resistor is needed there, but really it isn´t. Just a little tweaking of the current sources and it works and sounds fine.

Best
Alex

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
BTW slogged through the Jocko thread and realized that there was a lot of commentary about the circuit, including the concerns about d.c. levels, already. So I'm sorry to rehash that. The various results reported present a number of puzzles, but no need to get into that now.

So this should work, but you have to try, as I don't have a TDA1541 handy.

The bias current of the MAX6126 itself is about 0.5mA, but it is temperature stable (about 1uA/°C). It is also stable enough against Vin. So in theory, you can wire the current source circuit such that the collector of the BJT and Vin of the MAX6126 is connected to the +ve power supply (say +5V). Then connect the "Gnd" of this circuit to the "Load" -- the current sink of TDA1541. Since the output pin of the TDA1541 should be at, or close to 0V, this will provide a virtual Gnd for the MAX6126 current source. The current through the BJT has to be reduced by the bias current of the MAX6126.

Else we can also make up a similar circuit using a -ve rail voltage reference (like TL431). But they are by no means as high spec.

Or try Jeremy's solution with the LT3092.

Patrick

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
So this should work, but you have to try, as I don't have a TDA1541 handy.

The bias current of the MAX6126 itself is about 0.5mA, but it is temperature stable (about 1uA/°C). It is also stable enough against Vin. So in theory, you can wire the current source circuit such that the collector of the BJT and Vin of the MAX6126 is connected to the +ve power supply (say +5V). Then connect the "Gnd" of this circuit to the "Load" -- the current sink of TDA1541. Since the output pin of the TDA1541 should be at, or close to 0V, this will provide a virtual Gnd for the MAX6126 current source. The current through the BJT has to be reduced by the bias current of the MAX6126.

Else we can also make up a similar circuit using a -ve rail voltage reference (like TL431). But they are by no means as high spec.

Or try Jeremy's solution with the LT3092.

Patrick

Perhaps a Wilson mirror using PNPs and with sufficient emitter ballasting to ensure low noise, fed from the 6126-based current sink?

Davide,

Many DMMs have hfe measurements built in.
You just need to plug in a BJT and will get a value.
Since you are using a high hfe part, it will give you 3 digits (e.g. 453).
So your uncertainty is well below 1%.

Failing that, you can also match using the circuit in P.7 of the data sheet of BCM846s.
It needs a bit of setting up, but is not so difficult.

For the current source, you have to calculate the required current by :
I_ccs = 2x I_bias / hfe

So if your BJT should each see 4mA bias, and you expect hfe of say 500, then I_ccs = 16µA.

Hope it is clear,
Patrick