ZDL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It might be prudent to consider the phrase "Three strikes and you're out.".

Dave

If there is some violation or a post offered in poor taste, that would make sense. But simply posting quotes of someone contradicting themselves shouldn't offend the censor unless the quoted party and censor have an improper relationship. :)

In any event, this particular line of "debate" is certainly not very enlightening or useful even for entertainment value. Maybe it would be "prudent" to give Joachim back his thread.

Yeah, why don't you?

I tried suggesting that we end the current line of discussion a few hours ago while posting the above contradiction, but the post and repost got deleted. Whether you care to acknowledge it or not, improper censorship should be exposed wherever and whenever it should happen to occur. I'm clearly through "debating" with Johnk and have no further interest questioning him on any of his points.

Instead of criticizing people, admonishing them for engaging in a questionably pertinent side debate, why not post your own observations about what you think the thread should now focus on or what you think Joachim might want to discuss. It's easy to criticize and tear down. Being creative and positive - apparently not so easy.

My aim is to optimise this speaker mechanically and pneumatically, use linear drivers in their optimum frequency range and then make a passive crossover with the least amount of parts that do the job well. So my aproach is very minimalistic. If that works to my satisfaction i will try the UE when it is awaillable.

That's an approach that anyone should be able to embrace. The best engineering solutions tend to be the most elegant and simple. So are you tapering the tube behind the midrange or not. If not, why or have you not consciously thought about that particular aspect?

fntn, what i am doing right now is to tune the tube as an anti resonator to control the fundamental resonance. Then i build another tube with an optimised volume that is closed.
Then i build a passive crossover for both. Then i connect the drivers directly to the amp and put the rossover cap before the amp. Then i try to make all transfer functions the same. Then, when the acostic frequency response is hopefully the same i will make distortion measurements at high volume with a multitone signal. So it is 4 experiments in total. The tube of cause should be as short as posible because it contradicts the ZDL idea. On the other hand a very short tube is maybe not optimum for the required resonance parameters. Do you understand now why i am so slow and carefull ?

Last edited:
fntn, what i am doing right now is to tune the tube as an anti resonator to control the fundamental resonance. Then i build another tube with an optimised volume that is closed.
Then i build a passive crossover for both. Then i connect the drivers directly to the amp and put the rossover cap before the amp. Then i try to make all transfer functions the same. Then, when the acostic frequency response is hopefully the same i will make distortion measurements at high volume with a multitone signal. So it is 4 experiments in total. The tube of cause should be as short as posible because it contradicts the ZDL idea. On the other hand a very short tube is maybe not optimum for the required resonance parameters. Do you understand now why i am so slow and carefull ?

Joachim, slow and careful is a sign of someone who knows what the heck they're doing ;) Did Jeff Joseph just pop on the scene with a loudspeaker that won Best of Show at RMAF two years in a row or did it take some time for him to master his craft?

Just curious, do you have a target chamber volume for the midrange in mind yet? How are you calculating Q?

George

I am rather surprised that you don't know the problem with this statement. Sure EQ can clean up the CSD at any partiicular point in space, that is well known (how audible this is, is another question), but the problems off axis are not always the same as the ones on-axis, so what corrects the problem at one point can make a problem significantly worse at another point. So instead of "killing two birds with one stone", you just winged the first one and scared the other one away.
We shall see. I go into a test session next week. :xfingers::D

3 liters i think is ok but the sphere or the tube also baffle the tweeter. See my earlier measurement. I simulate with LSP-CAD and measure with Praxis. At work i use Klippel and DAAS but this a sparetime project so i will use affordable stuff as tools.

To maximally load your first three resonances, if your fundamental is 100hz, you're going to need a 22.5 inch long tube, right? :eek: Maybe some Nautilus shaped thing would work if you did a translam type set up with lamination slices oriented vertically? What was Fs or what post were the measurements on ?(already up to 750 posts!!:eek:)

I wouldn't get too worked up about taper. I should think the overriding concerns would be creating a throat behind the driver that is minimally reflective (and avoiding folds), keeping volume low, and maintaining optimal tube length. A really strong taper shouldn't have much of a detrimental affect.

To maximally load your first three resonances, if your fundamental is 100hz, you're going to need a 22.5 inch long tube, right? :eek: Maybe some Nautilus shaped thing would work if you did a translam type set up with lamination slices oriented vertically? What was Fs or what post were the measurements on ?(already up to 750 posts!!:eek:)

I wouldn't get too worked up about taper. I should think the overriding concerns would be creating a throat behind the driver that is minimally reflective (and avoiding folds), keeping volume low, and maintaining optimal tube length. A really strong taper shouldn't have much of a detrimental affect.
Interesting approach.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.