You might be an audiophile if...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
There is a lot of music lover snobism - even on this forum :eek: - that wants us to believe it is all about the music.

I love audio. I love sounds. The screeching, screaming sound of of the Metro train going around a corner, the tiny buzz of a fly on the leeward side of a tropical volcano, the echo in the courthouse stairwell...

Sounds to me like audio snobism talking again. :D
Sure you don't love chainsaw's audio too, or do you?
There are musical sounds and unmusical ones.

Back to snobism: first, the composer; second, the musician; and third - the tech. But the real king is the listener, that is, ME.

Eight out of thirteen...I agree 100% with Panomaniac....I love all sounds... down here going into Spring the birds are dialing up their racket as the sun comes up now.
A V12 Merlin, a snarling two-stroke, Thunder echoing off the mountains, howling wind, even the incessant chattering of teenage girls. The sound of an old Coke machine (Find one & listen!).........Where do you think they came up with sound sources for sci-fi movies & series? I'm still trying to find the source of the sound used in Star-Trek, Next generation. I could listen to those sounds for hours.
Perhaps I missed my calling in life...as I so do love this stuff. Does half a dozen worn-out cheap RS irons count??

________________________________________________________Rick....

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Nope. Funky old cloth covered late 50s stuff. Was there already, I just use it. Real fuses, too - not circuit breakers. Maybe it goes well with my vintage gear. ;)

Back in the '70's I rewired a house my mother purchased in Mass. - it still had bare wires on ceramic standoff's up in the attic!! :eek:

Believe it or not - that old wiring does deteriorate over time and will cause problems. Been there - done that - have the t-shirt.

You ARE an audiophile if you care about the singer not standing at the center precisely. (Sometime they just aren't, but at the position in line with your left or right eye instead... )

You ARE an audiophile if you keep a forbidden zone between you and speakers, and constantly drive your families away from it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Anti-nature Snobism?

A little, due to its imperfections. But I get your drift, yes... life sometimes brings you pleasant sounds in a natural way, but not too often. And the meaning they come with tends to bore me. Novel sounds? Not many left.

Nature uses audio in a practical way, once you know what it's all about you're no longer interested. Compare that to the excitement of hearing a new record, all that new combination of cool sounds you have never heard before organized in that particular pattern.

Good music is the finest audio a man can hear, that's why we make music otherwise what would be the point? Same with any kind of art. Our senses need a nice escape from everyday life.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.