Yet another "Vinyl Records sound better than CDs" story

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The two signal paths have nothing in common, typically there are separate lasers to accommodate the different pit sizes (CD/DVD/Blu-Ray.)

My note has more to do with the analog section of this equipment, in CD playback in which the sampling rate gets down to 44.1KHz (Typical CD sampling frequency) after it conversion to analog, it would be amplified by a high quality analog preamplifier which has more bandwidth regarding frequency response.

44.1KHz Typical CD sampling frequency is restrained to 20KHz Max frequency response by default, and therefore one preamplifier capable for 44KHz it would not offer any negative influence over the amplified signal.
In simple English: What ever is on this CD Disc it would come out unchanged with a total harmonic distortion of 0.006% - JVC XV-N33SL specifications.

Last edited:
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Hey Frank. I use a Spin Clean - which does wonders for old and dirty vinyl. Works better than anything I've ever built or tried.

That looks very similar to Knosti Disco Anti-Stat:

KNOSTI Vinyl

You spin the record in a bath filled with cleaning liquid (in the case of the anti-stat it's soap based which isn't that great) and the brushes on the inside do the scrubbing for you.
It's fine for a while but it's a pain once your record collection starts growing though.

I made my own bitches brew using roughly 2/3 of demineralized water, 1/3 of isopropyl alcohol and a few drops of wetting agent as surfactants.
Best bought at a pharmacy for highest purity.

This is also what I used with a Keith Monks machine, later on all records were treated with LAST record preservative and so on.

This not only reduced ticks and plops into non-existence, it also reduced distortion and record wear no end.

On the Cd end I still use a pile of my good old SCSI Plextors which sound more than good enough to me (IOW, I don't feel inclined to invest too heavily in digital media).

Has anyone compared some digitally remastered Blue Note cds to their vinyl counterparts yet?
Say some RVG bebop re-issues for instance....

Cheers, ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I see the Stanton doesn't get much love. :D

Funny, a couple years back there was an excellent cartridge blind test on another forum. (AK?) I thought the 680 did very well. I'll have to try some other carts to hear if they are less susceptible to groove noise.

Does any one know how Stanton bite the bullet? Was it another stock-market accident?
Yes Stanton 680 head was damn good, and this caused tremendous income to Stanton, additionally the bragging rights was such high that even me payed extra for a Stanton (soft pillow plate ?) mixing assistance disc in both of my turntables and a carbon fiber brass.

But today in the dilemma of getting another new 6800EL or similar at 100$ there is no many braves.
In our times for 100$ you get an fresh CD Player and not just a cartridge stylus replacement.

Attachments

• Sanyo-25Q.jpg
    Sanyo-25Q.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 104
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.