• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Yet another 12B4 line stage, or is the 12B4 better than the Grounded Grid.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Shoog said:
Just a simple question. I am toying with the idea of building a 12B4 preamp. I have some big light ballast tranformers which I would like to try as plate chokes. I expect them to be good down to at least 400hz. The question is could I put a simple single transistor CCS before the choke (ie +B - CCS - CHOKE - PLATE) to take up the slack.

Shoog

Uhhh,

What do you think what’s left from the inductance when biased with the DC anode current? These ballasts are not designed for DC bias and probably driven into saturation right away.

Cheers ;)

4 channel Pre

Hi

I'm thinking of making a 4 channel preamp after my behringer dcx 2496. I have baypassed the analog section like this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As it is now, i run the signal directly into my 6 deck pot(I use only 4), and directly to each amp. The pot is 20k.
Would the 12B4 circuit have any problems matching the DACs (AKM 4393) output? Shold the pot be placed before or after the 12B4?

Cheers
bjorn

Re: Single or dual CCS?

BGcap said:
Hello,
My first time posting although have been reading for a while. I am building a 12b4 pre. Does anyone know if when using a CCS at the cathode it is best to have be one CCS for each tube or just one shared CCS for both tubes?
Tom

HI BGcap

Welcome! You must use one CCS for each cathode. Circuits with two cathodes sharing one CCS have an other function, namely phase inversion to drive PP stages.

Erik

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
Update!

I got it working on just one channel tonight but I did get them glowing. I need to get different resistors tommrrow at the parts store. Note the wrong basing at this site This was my problem. Should have been labeled pin 5.... not pin 4... there is not even a 4th pin on these tubes bases....

yup; wrong pinout
just go to Duncan's and download tdslpe..........
if you didn't already........

did you listen that solo channel?
:devilr:

Attachments

• 0d3 pinout.gif
    0d3 pinout.gif
    733 bytes · Views: 912
I saw some schematics here that use capacitor input and some choke input. For this particular tube (12B4), I'd like to hear the experiences and opinions as to the differences between these 2. I'm in the process of plannign a simple 12B4 preamp and am deciding on the secondary voltage of the power transformer. I already have a 5H 150mA (DCR <100ohms) choke from a previous project to use, and a 15uf motor run, and various 'lytics that I can use. I will be driving a EL84 PP with it, and will probably go with the LM317 on the cathode.

Pls advice, thanks! :)

Thanks Arnoldc for your inputs. This thread has gotten very long, and when I searched, it doesn't tell me the page where the search string is found, so it's pretty tedious to go through all the pages... :xeye: Is your PSU on post #230?

another thing, can I actually use this as a headphone amp as well, what modifications do I require to make this happen?

thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.