• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Yet another 12B4 line stage, or is the 12B4 better than the Grounded Grid.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SY, Your Initials are CORRECT!

SY,
You are correct in your initials. Your old happy hunting ground for tubes!
:D

Did you also say in another tube thread, that you went solid state in your rectification a long time ago and never looked back? The reason I am asking is are there pros and cons to keep the rectification tube?

Gabe has switched and now offers the Magnavox topology both ways.
http://gabevee.tripod.com/mag1515.html

Also, SY, concerning a past discussion concerning a phono stage. Would you suggest I look for a chassis large enough to include both the 12b4 linestage, AND a separate phono stage? I am getting a bit crazed with all the "gear" look, and if a significant other enters my life, she is not GONNA like the looks of a zillion boxes with 30 IC's running all over the place.
BillW was shocked by the quality of sound from the little Magnovox, but I think it being coupled to the 12b4 is what made the sound so sweet.
Lyndon

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
btw:
attachment.php

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! :bawling:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

in fact lack just few words : "good for 30mA".........

Yes but current is drawn from the stack of glowers, not a single one. So, if you use voltage dividers so the bottom one ignites first, than the second, etc. it can still be done provided the sum is 30mA or better.

I think the whole process is described somewhere in the RCA Tube bible should you have a copy. Either that one or that other one, the Cruft Electronics perhaps. Have a look, it's fun.....:D

Cheers, ;)

Re: SY, Your Initials are CORRECT!

LuckyLyndy said:
SY,
You are correct in your initials. Your old happy hunting ground for tubes!
:D

Did you also say in another tube thread, that you went solid state in your rectification a long time ago and never looked back? The reason I am asking is are there pros and cons to keep the rectification tube?

I do miss that place. After a while, the proprieter knew me well enough to just let me go rummage through the back. I still remember grumbling about having to pay $5 each for red base RCA 5692s. If I only knew then what I know now...

Vacuum tube rectifiers have a slow warmup which in certain situations could be an advantage. But when I actually look at the spectrum of power supply rails, I don't really see any difference between silicon and vacuum. And the silicon is more efficient, has better regulation, more reliable, less heat- hey, this is DC we're talking about and either the supply gives DC or it doesn't. All the internal measurements of rectifier currents and so forth are interesting in an academic sense, but bottom line is what appears on the rails. And I don't see any of the touted advantages of using a vacuum rectifier.

And before someone pulls the "just listen" argument, I have. The sag from a tube rectifier just doesn't cut it for me. I hear the compression and I don't like it.

Sy,

I am good friends with B. D. at that place. He treats me very fair but makes sure that those "other customers" building expensive tube amps out of his junk parts get charged many times over. Somehow... I donno but you missed the two Farnsworth Image Dissectors that were on the top shelf... I found those crawling along on top. Should we say I've been through there top to bottom! One now lives at the TV Museum in Ohio and the other is in the collection of one of the top Microsoft Executives.

Mark

Mark; I certainly did miss the image dissectors. I was too busy snarfing up boxes of Mullard EL37s and Genelex KT88s. Tube amps weren't a big thing then (late '70s) so BD was pretty bemused by my interest in that old junk. And it took him a few years to catch on what a treasure trove he had.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
fdegrove said:
Hi,

Yes but current is drawn from the stack of glowers, not a single one. So, if you use voltage dividers so the bottom one ignites first, than the second, etc. it can still be done provided the sum is 30mA or better.

I think the whole process is described somewhere in the RCA Tube bible should you have a copy. Either that one or that other one, the Cruft Electronics perhaps. Have a look, it's fun.....:D

Cheers, ;)

yep , you're right-but I like it in old fashion way-straight ,without dividers (often possible for stack of just two gass).....

I know what you say from several domestic books (both really domestic and some McGraw..... translates) and also from RDH4 .....

another reason for keeping it without aditional bleed is regulation even for worst case scenario - minus 10% in mains....I was used on that in the past......especially in winter months . now is different ,but old habit is strong
;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
hehe-regarding tube rectifiers-I like them still for preamps more than SS ones.........
anyway-I usually throw away at least 30% of voltage before any sort of reg....:clown: tnx to stash of old power xformers I have-mainly from old radios.......example is my preamp-starting with 2x260Vac xformer(per channel) and finishing with one 0A2 (150V).:devilr:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.