XSim free crossover designer

How do I use the active filter add-on with a miniDSP?

I see that the PEQ has a biquad export, but, how would I setup my miniDSP to use the filter block?

Also, I got the first revision of the XSim 3D, is there a second one? because I just saw the ImpulseAudio video, and it mentions the baffle sim, which I can't find in my version.

Minidsp PEQ section has an option for "Advanced", which lets you either paste-in or load a biquad export file. The "Filter" block in Xsim isn't a load-to-DSP thing (It's a analog filter), only the PEQ.

Look at the version number of your XSim (there's an "About" menu). Most recent is 2.0.06BETA.

There's also a Baffle menu. BTW, it doesn't simulate baffle effects or baffle step, it's for driver positioning and floor/ceiling/wall reflection simulation and off-axis response. A little different to use than past XSim simulation types, though, as it assumes driver measurements of each were done on-axis (or optionally a set of off-axis measurement supplied for each) -- so, not as straightforward to use for most people as it turns out. But it's good to see how the driver placement and spacings will effect a radiation pattern and to see how things like D'Appolito or line array work.

Ok, I got the 2.0.05BETA, I didn't see it went up one notch. I'll get it.

Ok, so, basically, the filter block combines what an online XO calculator would do? Just key in the frequency, the type and order, then it gives a theoretical curve?

If so, how would I use the filter block since in real life, it would never look like that?

I see one use would be to come up with a theoretical XO curve, click on hold, then import the frd file for the driver and use the PEQ to match as closely as possible the theoretical XO curve.

About the PEQ block, I got it to export the biquads to the Advanced tab in the PEQ section of miniDSP. I also found out I can't load a whole file, but only select PEQ tabs (1-2-3....10) and copy/paste one biquad at a time.

If so, how would I use the filter block since in real life, it would never look like that?

I see one use would be to come up with a theoretical XO curve, click on hold, then import the frd file for the driver and use the PEQ to match as closely as possible the theoretical XO curve.

That's pretty much how I would use it. The actual electrical filters seldom work well as crossover filters on their own, since those typically need to take into account drivers' shapes and built-in rolloffs. Another use could be with pre-made analog active crossover filter hardware to see how they'd do (and what might be done passively or with combined filters to adapt them to work)... for people who don't want to use DSP for whatever semireligious reasons. The "opamp" block could be used to develop actual analog filters with more versatility, though I'd caution to be careful (since XSim can't tell you whether an opamp feedback circuit you model will be stable, further insight or double-checking is needed to assure that).

About the PEQ block, I got it to export the biquads to the Advanced tab in the PEQ section of miniDSP. I also found out I can't load a whole file, but only select PEQ tabs (1-2-3....10) and copy/paste one biquad at a time.

There is a way (don't remember the steps offhand) to import a file of multiple biquads into MiniDSP. Check miniDSP's docs.

Looks like kimmosto already answered the question about showing phase on an XSim plot in that thread.

To look at phase of current through, or voltage across components, use Add Graph to select the plot type, and when you use the plot's Curve menu to select the component, also put a check in the box where it says "show with phase curve".

Been measuring the curves SPL/Imp and playing around with Xsim and it enabled me to further finetune the crossover in a way it would have been impossible via trial and error.

I am very very impressed by the software and UI. Is there a way to support the great work through a donation to stimulate further developments?