XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Maybe its better to make it absolutely perfect for everyone?

I'll be honest with you and say that I don't think there will ever be a product that is perfect for everyone. Electrical engineering is very much about making trade-offs between features, perfomance, price and complexity and at some point this must be accepted. I'm not saying it's not possible to increase the XO footprint size to accomodate for other clocks, but this might come at a price such as lowering the performance of the smaller footprint clocks because of added trace inducatance. Or making the PCB more complex, adding cost or lowering signal integrity around the XO, etc.

Furthermore, NDK clocks have excellent performance and they have some models that actually outperform the Crystek counterparts in terms of phase noise for example. So why do people feel the need to switch to them?

Probably today is Christmas for me as I received a gift from Santa (China) :eek:
PCB could be made better but, finally, it's soldering time... for another type of WaveIO, of course! :D
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

P.S. I'll be back later and answer to all your questions... now I'm eager to get some white smoke from this little card! :p

Last edited:
Lucian:
Congratulations on getting your new PCBs!

I must say that this brings up some questions. And please, I mean no offense and do not wish to second guess how you plan your products or run your business. You have many happy customers out here. I--and maybe others--are just getting a bit confused.

1) The PCB images appear to be of the new card you are working on--WaveIO "Note"--and not the daughter board for original WaveIO. Correct?

2) Since you previously explained that the daughter board will have some pads which have to be soldered to original WaveIO--also giving the impression that original WaveIO owners may want to send back their boards to have DB installed (a challenge in and out of Romania, and a lot of extra hand labor soldering for you)--why offer the offer the DB at all?
a) Your products are always so reasonably priced;
b) You appear to be further along with new "Note" board than with daughter board (I have not seen any images of DB, and just yesterday you decided to add S/PDIF--so more work).
c) It would seem likely that some people will experience small technical issues with DB (nothing ever goes perfectly for all users).
d) More of your time and energy will be spent of WaveIO/DB combo--manufacturing, updating, supporting, etc.

3) So unless WaveIO/DB combo will offer some performance that is more advanced than upcoming "Note"; and unless "Note" will be significantly more expensive than WaveIO/DB, or be harder to install in place of original WaveIO; then why not just concentrate on finishing "Note" and getting production and sales of that board?

I personally would rather purchase a product that is the sum of all a designer's current thinking and refinement--a clean and optimized design--rather than an update to an earlier design with the compromises and accommodations that may require (especially since the DB does not sound like something you just send out for a user to plug onto the original card--it all has to go back).

I know that some of what I say and ask above may be wrong. This is in part because we do not know all there is to know about either the daughter board or the new WaveIO "Note" product. Of course it your right and smart sense to keep secret some details of the new product until it is ready. But when you show us PCB images of it ahead of what we have been expecting soon (the DB), it creates speculation and doubt. That is why I pose the above questions and suggestions.
Those of us who have been using the WaveIO (and those waiting to try one) all wish for your success. We are as patient as we can be, yet we want to purchase the best product that makes the most sense for our application.

Bottom line: Fill that "Note" board with parts, tell us what it will do, and sell us the latest and greatest as soon as it is ready!

Most sincerely,
ALEX C.

A lot of questions and only few answers... so far

Lucian:
Sounds like the daughter board is growing to be larger than the WaveIO board itself!
Let's hope not still if I have to make it as larger as WaveIO to catch all my new ideas then I'll do it gladly.
So someone has convinced you to ad S/PDIF to it? I am sure you know that to generate a really good S/PDIF signal takes some care. There are a few ways to go.
S/PDIF does not interest me (at least for an internal USB>I2S board), so I just hope that whatever additional circuitry you include does not add noise or jitter to the I2S. Maybe you make it so that the S/PDIF can be turned off?
I was thinking to bring both worlds together: those who love to have SPDIF and those who don't like it. I mean, the parts related to SPDIF can be left aside if this protocol is not used anymore or the whole SPDIF stage be disabled by a jumper. Anyway, the second option is not so good as it will involve extra costs either way.
By the way, with the update/daughter board version, will you now have isolators between the XMOS and the clocks? The lack of them was John Swenson's only criticism of the WaveIO when he installed it for me. I also bought the Edel board from ABC PCB in Switzerland, and they did a good job with isolation (though the board has other issues--especially at high speed; and it also would not work in my DAC for other reasons).
Yes, it will have isolators between XMOS and the clocks.
I can't believe I forgot to ask this question earlier:
Will you be updating the firmware of the present WaveIO/DB to support 352.8/384kHz. The XMOS will support it and I am told that only a few lines of code need to be changed. I use Audirvana Plus with custom iZotope filter settings to upsample to 176.4/192kHz, and would love to go even higher.
While my PCM1704 DAC has no filters, most all those with S-D chip DACs are stuck with the compromised choices of built-in up/oversampling filters. But the higher rates you can feed such DACs, the more steps of the built-in filters you eliminate, and for most S-D chips, their own filters are essentially off when you feed 352.8/384kHz. I am sure that you and everyone here know all this.
Please do take a look at my first post of this thread and see if your card has the revision 0x0331 or higher. I should update those infos still, if you run into troubles or things are not going as described just PM me.

I'll be honest with you and say that I don't think there will ever be a product that is perfect for everyone. Electrical engineering is very much about making trade-offs between features, performance, price and complexity and at some point this must be accepted. I'm not saying it's not possible to increase the XO footprint size to accomodate for other clocks, but this might come at a price such as lowering the performance of the smaller footprint clocks because of added trace inducatance. Or making the PCB more complex, adding cost or lowering signal integrity around the XO, etc.

Furthermore, NDK clocks have excellent performance and they have some models that actually outperform the Crystek counterparts in terms of phase noise for example. So why do people feel the need to switch to them?
I'm fully agree with Emphrygian here but for the Crystek lovers (me among them, even if I didn't use their products so far), the footprint will be on the DB as well :)

Beautiful !!
I have signed long time ago for the new daughter board but seeing the new WaveIO card I was wondering if I should have signed for it as well ... what do you think ?
cheers and happy smelling !
Pepe
Thank you! There's no smell so far as I have to wait for few parts that I forgot about :eek: Before taking any further decisions, please let me finish this new card and see it fully functional. Until then it's just a prototype that still have high chances to be redesigned.

I already want one! :D

Let us know whats new with this new version

Ciao!
Do
Noted, thank you!

Lucian:
Congratulations on getting your new PCBs!

I must say that this brings up some questions. And please, I mean no offense and do not wish to second guess how you plan your products or run your business. You have many happy customers out here. I--and maybe others--are just getting a bit confused.
Thank you and no offense are taken!
1) The PCB images appear to be of the new card you are working on--WaveIO "Note"--and not the daughter board for original WaveIO. Correct?
Yes.
2) Since you previously explained that the daughter board will have some pads which have to be soldered to original WaveIO--also giving the impression that original WaveIO owners may want to send back their boards to have DB installed (a challenge in and out of Romania, and a lot of extra hand labor soldering for you)--why offer the offer the DB at all?
I experienced a moment in my youth, when I had ~18 years old, a moment fully tied to music. Maybe it's not fancy for most of us but was deep and obviously, profound to me. I had a chance at that time (a small one, giving the circumstances) to listen to Luciano Pavarotti on a highly respected audio chain. I cant remember the details (what loudspeakers, transport and so on).. I don't even remember the song as I was pretty shocked by what I heard. Nevertheless, I do remember the feeling! It ended up with few tears on that day and many years of debates regarding conscience, soul and other related 'stuff'. Hmm, all that from a simple song :eek:
Given this, all the products I made, without exception, have at their base, this particular experience which became a principle to me. Perhaps healing souls is a way better job to me than gathering money ;)

a) Your products are always so reasonably priced;
Perhaps... :)
b) You appear to be further along with new "Note" board than with daughter board (I have not seen any images of DB, and just yesterday you decided to add S/PDIF--so more work).
The only reason for which DB was delayed was because of this "Note" card. Even if I can be focused on more than one project at a time the results became "commercial" (whatever that means to me) and is not what I expect to be!
c) It would seem likely that some people will experience small technical issues with DB (nothing ever goes perfectly for all users).
I don't design perfect products (nor I want it to)! but please allow me the time needed to finish DB and then we could speak about its flaws later :rolleyes:
d) More of your time and energy will be spent of WaveIO/DB combo--manufacturing, updating, supporting, etc.
I am fully aware of that, thank you! Even so, I still want to do it! :)

3) So unless WaveIO/DB combo will offer some performance that is more advanced than upcoming "Note"; and unless "Note" will be significantly more expensive than WaveIO/DB, or be harder to install in place of original WaveIO; then why not just concentrate on finishing "Note" and getting production and sales of that board?
Note is close to finish. If it will not work now due to all kind of reasons then I'll drop the project until DB will be ready.
I personally would rather purchase a product that is the sum of all a designer's current thinking and refinement--a clean and optimized design--rather than an update to an earlier design with the compromises and accommodations that may require (especially since the DB does not sound like something you just send out for a user to plug onto the original card--it all has to go back).
Agree with you to some extent.

I know that some of what I say and ask above may be wrong. This is in part because we do not know all there is to know about either the daughter board or the new WaveIO "Note" product. Of course it your right and smart sense to keep secret some details of the new product until it is ready. But when you show us PCB images of it ahead of what we have been expecting soon (the DB), it creates speculation and doubt. That is why I pose the above questions and suggestions.
Those of us who have been using the WaveIO (and those waiting to try one) all wish for your success. We are as patient as we can be, yet we want to purchase the best product that makes the most sense for our application.

Bottom line: Fill that "Note" board with parts, tell us what it will do, and sell us the latest and greatest as soon as it is ready!

Most sincerely,
ALEX C.
I'll do Alex, that's a promise! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this!
Kind regards,
L

I experienced a moment in my youth, when I had ~18 years old, a moment fully tied to music. Maybe it's not fancy for most of us but was deep and obviously, profound to me. I had a chance at that time (a small one, giving the circumstances) to listen to Luciano Pavarotti on a highly respected audio chain. I cant remember the details (what loudspeakers, transport and so on).. I don't even remember the song as I was pretty shocked by what I heard. Nevertheless, I do remember the feeling! It ended up with few tears on that day and many years of debates regarding conscience, soul and other related 'stuff'. Hmm, all that from a simple song :eek:
Given this, all the products I made, without exception, have at their base, this particular experience which became a principle to me. Perhaps healing souls is a way better job to me than gathering money ;)

I felt touched by your words, Lucian, and kind of suspected that there was such a motivation behind the scenes. That is why I respect your work so much.

warm regards
Pepe

Thank you Lorien!

I wanted to ask if there is a GB for the new WaveIO board availavle yet?! I Dont want to miss it. I want to have I2S and SPDIF! Looking forward to your experience reports regarding the new Board!

Cant wait to add it to my DIY Music streamer based on a Dockstar and Debian Wheezy + MPD

thank you very much!

Greetings ron

Last edited:
Dear Lucian:
Thank you so VERY much for taking all that time to answer my many questions. I believe it was probably worth it since most are things many of your followers are wondering about.

A very few comments below your answers:

I mean, the parts related to SPDIF can be left aside if this protocol is not used anymore or the whole SPDIF stage be disabled by a jumper. Anyway, the second option is not so good as it will involve extra costs either way.

I do think ability to power-off/silence SPDIF circuitry is important as my engineers tell me it can add noise on the ground plane.

Yes, it will have isolators between XMOS and the clocks.

Wonderful. I will be fascinated to see how you can alter the whole architecture of the WaveIO with a daughter board. I guess they will be VERY close, mother and daughter, with connections between in multiple places. Seems a lot of work but we all applaud you for it!

Please do take a look at my first post of this thread and see if your card has the revision 0x0331 or higher.

Sorry, I never thought to look and see all those updates at the first post! My board (based on looking at revisions with my Mac OS X machine) appears to be rev. 3.30, so I guess no 384K for me until DB. That's okay.

I'm fully agree with Emphrygian here but for the Crystek lovers (me among them, even if I didn't use their products so far), the footprint will be on the DB as well :)

Wow, that is great news too. By the way, someone else here also mentioned liking some of the NDK clocks. My WaveIO currently has Fox XpressO, which is fine, but I would appreciate knowing exactly which NDK series you find has low phase noise at the reasonable price. I may want to get some for another project.

L

Very moving, thank you. Indeed, I think such experiences are why many of us got started--along this endless path--at a young age. Crazy, but I have many pictures from my parents of me from age 2-8, either sitting in rapture or clapping, in front of my dad's Fisher 500C. I began hanging around hi-fi stores at 10; then lied about my age to get a job helping in a high-end audio service department at age 13. There is much more to the story, but I'll stop there.

I know you will keep everyone posted on the progress with both the WaveIO/DB and the new WaveIO Note. Good luck with both!
--Alex

Which models are close to CCHD-957?
Dear Lorien I hope you would also answer to my doubts I posted earlier :p
BTW which model of NDK is used in WaveIO board?

Last edited:
Hi,
Sorry, I never thought to look and see all those updates at the first post! My board (based on looking at revisions with my Mac OS X machine) appears to be rev. 3.30, so I guess no 384K for me until DB. That's okay.

My board has also 330, but ask Lucian for an update. ;) Hope that my board is on the way back to me and the shipping will be fast. :eek:

Lucian, thanks for your support!

Regards Carsten

zibra and Superdad:

The NZ2520SD series is what you want to look at. It's "only" rated 50 ppm, but the phase noise is excellent. See below image (red line).

004.png

Granted, this is for the 22.5792 MHz part, but I expect the general performance goes for the entire series. If you compare it the the CCHD-957 22.5792 MHz part you'll see that it's at -97dBc/Hz at 10Hz, while the NDK is about 15dB better. The Crysteks are better as at high frequency deviation, but I don't think that's relevant in this implementation (correct me if I'm wrong here). Also note that the NDK graph extends a full decade lower than the Crystek graphs.

I can't say much about availability, but if you're interested in getting a few, try to contact chip1stop (google for them and you'll find them).

I'd also be interested in knowing what NDK part or parts are being used in the WaveIO.

Last edited:
Hi Lucian
As you know I have your WaveIO board. Please explain me few things:

1. Are you preparing two boards separately - new WaveIO board AND daughter board?
Yes, the new WaveIO got all my attention and after it's ready I'll move on with DB.

2. Is daughter board useful for BOTH old and new version of WaveIO? Or new wersion doesnt need that DB?
DB will be available only for old boards. The new one will act quite different and doesn't need some of the DB features (like full USB isolation and reclocking stage).

3. If I buy daughter board for old version do I need to send my WaveIO to you for new firmware and for "connecting" 2 boards together?
Most sure yes! I will be responsible for all the HW/SW changes and I want to be sure that will work as expected.

4. What about SPDiF output in such case - I would have it on both boards or what? In case of using SPDiF from daughter board - is that type of connection gather benefits from daughter board to converter?
Hm.. you killed me with this question. It's in debates now... As you know I cannot guarantee what it will happen even if my tech measures will be quite strong on that, nevertheless I am afraid that the changes could affect the sound quality of SPDIF output on the DB... maybe not in the "perfect" way as we all want :) You know that theory is different from practice...
Given this I like to offer the chance to revert the changes, at least for SPDIF... I2S is another story and cannot be switched back so easily. As I said, I'm thinking on it right now.

5. I sent my WaveIO as "tester" to few of my friends and they are interested in your product. Anyways some say it would be very nice to make pads for bigger oscillators like Crystek - I also saw someone mentioned it here. Can you please check such possibility? Maybe its better to make it absolutely perfect for everyone?
Is not such a thing like "Absolutely perfect" :eek: Anyway, as you read before, the Crysteks will be included.

Thank you Lorien!
I wanted to ask if there is a GB for the new WaveIO board available yet?! I Don't want to miss it. I want to have I2S and SPDIF! Looking forward to your experience reports regarding the new Board!
Cant wait to add it to my DIY Music streamer based on a Dockstar and Debian Wheezy + MPD

thank you very much!

Greetings ron
Hello Ron. The GB will have to wait until I'll have a finished product, yes? After that, we will speak about it.

BTW which model of NDK is used in WaveIO board?
NZ2520SD-22.579200M-NSA3449C and NZ2520SD-24.576000M-NSA3449C.
Even if there are better alternatives, I have to be pleased with these parts as the rest of them have ~35 days delivery time, way to much for my actual needs.

Hi,
My board has also 330, but ask Lucian for an update. ;) Hope that my board is on the way back to me and the shipping will be fast. :eek:
Lucian, thanks for your support!
Regards Carsten
Your board no longer has the 330 FW version, you should be aware of that now ;) It was sent today and I'll PM you with tracing number of your parcel.
Kind regards,
Lucian

Last edited:
Updating fw Waveio

Your board no longer has the 330 FW version, you should be aware of that now ;) It was sent today and I'll PM you with tracing number of your parcel.
Kind regards,
Lucian[/QUOTE]

Hi Lucian,

What time do you expect me to be without my card, in case I send it back to you for update to FW331?
I can't live without the card for too long!!! Silly me!

Ed

Thank you very much for answers Lorien. I know theres no "perfection" for everyone:)
New times are coming when its about computer audio but Im little worried theres only I2S possibility on new board as still many other components are being connected by SPDiF.
But I understand your worries also - just solder new card and test it. Old one is already very good:)

Hi Ed,

Hi Lucian,
What time do you expect me to be without my card, in case I send it back to you for update to FW331?
I can't live without the card for too long!!! Silly me!
Ed
If it back to me i can say it to you. ;-)
Facts: Send it to Lucian 30.05.13 morning, yesterday is it arrived, flashed and today morning on the way to me. The Hague is not so far away from Berlin. ;)

That is support!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Lorien

The new Wave IO Note looks very interesting. It addresses the comment I had in this post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...hronous-usb-i2s-interface-81.html#post3035606

One thing I would like to see added to the design is an input on the I2S interface. Is that something you would consider?

I have a MiniDSP USBStreamer, which can do this, but it needs additional circuits to isolate the I2S and to get a clean clock signal. I am working on such an interface at the moment. But if the Wave IO Note had an input as well this would definitely be a cleaner solution.

Personally I would prefer if an IDC connector was used for the I2S bus, making it easy to connect it with a flat cable, but that is a minor detail.