XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Connected the WaveIO board but laptop doesn't recognize.

Attachments

• WP_20160526_007[1].jpg
    WP_20160526_007[1].jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 270
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Lorien your link said:

"A. Like I said before, you can use any WaveIO available to you that has the
Revision ID higher than 0x0330 for the DFU functionality to work! The
0x0330 variants are not working (no DFU enabled in firmware) and will act as
a brick in your tests!
Revision ID can be easily found by plugging your
WaveIO into any free USB port and open "TUSBAudio Control Panel". There
should be an "info" tab on the right saying RevisionID and Serial Number.
Please ignore serial number, just follow the revision ID value."

As I can see by looking at that picture, it seems that you didn't install WaveIO's drivers. At least, there's no trace of any files that are related to this driver pack and usually are installed / copied to that directory.
Make sure that you are installing WaveIO drivers first and then copy the dfucons.exe to where the drivers are installed... usually C:/Program Files/WaveIO/USBAudio_Driver/

Felipe, as I can see, you have unpacked the files form the WaveIO driver's pack I gave you to exactly the same path where the installer will place the driver files.
So, the source of those files and the destination is the same. It's normal for you to get an error when you are installing WaveIO drivers.
Just delete this directory: "USBAudio_Driver" from the path:
C:/Program Files/WaveIO/UPSBaudio_Driver and forget it for now.

go to archive I gave you, unpack the archive to ANY directory you can think off except the one listed above and run setup.exe
After that we will move on...

I have some trouble with the waveio after 2 years of using without problems.
I get a message from foobar "could not create asio buffer". After power off and power on the wavio, all is ok, sometimes it works for days, but sometimes it happens very often at one day.
Firmware is V6.C7 driver 3.34 DAC is a buffalo III se. DSD works.
I don´t know want i should do. Windows 10 is fresh installed, all USB ports 2.0 or 3.0 have same problems. I used different USB-Cable, different asio parameter etc..
The only thing i haven´t done is to use another computer.
What can it be?
Thanks Frank

Last edited:
Hello Frank! It's most likely that 99% from your trouble is made by parasitic resistances. It's not the first time when I encounter this issue and it's basically, normal - unless you live in a vacuum. :)
Please remove the jumper on J12 and put it back there. Do this several times to clean up the header pins. As for the jumper, throw it and put a new one in exactly the same place. Do with with J8 as well, you never know...
Now, I'm not aware how often you have plugged / unplugged the USB cable from your WaveIO. If you know it's worth it, please try to clean up your USB cable or even change it with a new one. I doubt there's a chance to clean up the USB socket on WaveIO as well! Here I'm using isopropyl alcohol (spray) and does give some good results but my connectors / USB cables are used much too often to make a difference for a long period of time. Anyway, if possible, it's worth trying!
In case you're using the J1 USB extender header then try to clean up those contacts as well! In the end, check the connections on your external PSU (J13) screw them tight if it's necessary! A simple check on your external PSU is well recommended!

Two years :p ... I'm glad knowing this! The maximum longevity record I know is coming from Davide who bought a WaveIO in 2011 and he have use it powered 24/7 for five years in a row. I'm quite sad that I had to break this record by improving few things to it but anyway... never thought at such a long "distance" when I made my rather poor choices in picking jumpers in my designs!

@ Felipe: so do I have to understand that you managed to install your drivers but what revisionID does your WaveIO shows now? Check at TUSBAudio Control Panel => Info tab.

Last edited:
Felipe,

Can you outline your overall set-up ? It looks very strange to me that you are experiencing all these problems. I'll tell you my experience :
1) I bought the Wave IO in 2011 and installed in a Buffalo D1 dac. The board has been powered on with external power supply for 5 years without problems.
2) Recently I had Lucian updating the board to support DSD. I plugged the board back and played DSD64 and DSD 128 without any problems.
3) With the last Jriver I can also play DSD256, but the DAC does not lock it.
4) I am using the isolated output. Connection cables are 2 cm long.
5) Source is a MAC with Jriver media center or Windows 7 with the same software.
6) No fancy USB cable, using the on-board connector.

So my guess, as the board has been tested, is that there is a problem elsewhere.

Regards,

Davide

Hello Lorien,
thanks for your answer.
I think too, that the trouble is made by parasitic resistances. I cleaned the jumpers and the usb port. Is it better to solder the jumper?
But my computer is very old , it could the cause too. Sometimes i hear electrical clicks and pops more often then for years ago and i think it cames out of my PC.

Regards,

Frank