XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

This [E150HE-44] can work - just tune the vent length and area as of it were a reflex box.
Modeled in winISD as bass reflex:
I can't quite get the F3 I'd hoped for when using 2/3 Vas for the rear volume (5L) .
Increasing the volume to 100% Vas (7.6L) and lowering the tuning frequency (40 Hz) gets it to 40 Hz F3, but presents a port length challenge.
A reasonable 7" x 0.5" port will keep air velocity under 25 m/s at 100W power, but it's 22.5" long and that wraps three sides of the cabinet.

Port length seems to be a common issue with this driver which is probably why they offer a matching passive radiator. I probably won't be building an XKi for this driver.

sure - at least for some drivers - a slot vent could be retained in case at some future point a driver suitable is desired. The stuffed vent would also damp some reflections from the front chamber and possibly lower the magnitude of a cavity peak.

Alternately the rear chamber could be damped by driilling a series of spaced holes in the back of the cabinet then covering the holes with foam - perhaps "Scotchbright". Impedance and response measurements would help

FWIW I like the idea of a damped stub at the top of a K's chamber so a stuffed vent would help do some of that action.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
wish a sizeable damped stub, response should improve. Look at Ken Lehman's

"K8" RE with polycone 8" before and after the stub/cavity. was added.

Well the response without the stub is lost forever - it was rougher and Ken said the stub got rid of some "echoes" (high Q holes i think) besides cleaning up the impulse response.. The way the stub was done below adds volume to the front chamber so it should not be made too large. With 15" and 18" it might be good to try to get a front chamber reosnce of around 110Hz (K15 is ~ 'there" I think)

Attachments

• LEHMAN K8.jpg
    LEHMAN K8.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The stubs are great for suppressing a peak. They can’t do much for a dip. But to suppress a peak, find the frequency using a microphone and sweep or FFT program.

Calculate the 1/4-wave length of that frequency and make a stub of same length. Typically about 1in H x width of cabinet x depth of stub length. Fill with fiberglass wool etc.

For example, assume you see a 500Hz peak you want to smooth. 500Hz / 342m/sec = 1.46m. 1/4 of 1.46m is about 37cm or about 14.4in long stub.

Reactions: 1 user
- I need q quick decision - like in an hour - choosing between 8" driver XKi and 10" driver XKi

The 8 inch version would be XRK971's build for Beta 8cx and the 10 inch a Tymphany "Pro" woofer.

8" cabinet size - 11" x9" x 15" - - - - 10" cabinet size - 13" x 13" x 18"

Both tuned ~70Hz.

which would you choose ? Due to not knowing if I have 2-10cx anymore, the Tymphany 10 with a K-tube on top would be "it", while I probably do have a pair of Beta 8cx. Michael Chua gave good marks for the Tymphany 10 in the vocal range. I'd like it to sound decent by itself (without helper woofer/sub woofer) with drumkit.

I think the 10" will do better with drum transients but Beta 8cx might not be too weak.

Attachments

• 70HZ XKI COMPARISON - BETA 8CX VS TYMPHNY PRO10.jpg
    70HZ XKI COMPARISON - BETA 8CX VS TYMPHNY PRO10.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 55
  • TINY TEN DIMS.jpg
    TINY TEN DIMS.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
freddi,
I am by no means a speaker expert, but it would seem to me that the 10" would be better if you are more interested in the bass aspect, and 8" if you are more interested in the mid-range. I have a pair of 6.5" XKIs, and am quite satisfied with their sound, both in the bass and the mid-range. I added a tweeter for the high frequencies.

Hi jaxboy -

hanks for the input- - Please elaborate on your XKi 6.5 build, driver, etc. as 6.5" was originally the size wanted until my Denovo 6.5CX (looked like a CX version of Beta 6A) were poked "somewhere" back into a shed.

(I have a 0.62 scale K15 so all is not lost regarding 10" and also I very much like the PRV 10" 10FR300 fullrange but the PRV could benefit from a stronger motor.)

X's Beta 8cx size is probably larger than what can be tolerated by the other occupants of where I live. Beleive it or no the little K3.5 augmented by my Kube12/Kappa12A on with 2.1 $40 Kinter 3118 amplifier can deleiver some pretty good transients.

I also have Beta 8A which are smoother than 8cx and those could be used with K-tube on top such as my original Transyvania Power "The Tube" for fun treble.

A Kube "15" could make a nice helper woofer.

hey X - will it all fit with the original 13 inch internal height of the sketch ? 14" height would be awesome.

I get for a 10" x 0.75" high vent around 16cm length to tune to ~70Hz and that in practice could be around 15% shorter so around 6.3 inch vent length

Attachments

• 8 INCH XKI BUILD DIMS.jpg
    8 INCH XKI BUILD DIMS.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 65