x soz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi moe29

Glad you like the xsoz.
But if you are driving it with standard bsoz two diffrent things happens.
1) Too much (IMO) x-feedback because of the higher outputimpedance in the standard bsoz.
2) If you have 10 uF at the output of your bsoz, you will be down -3db at 18Hz. You need at least 100uF, then you will be down -3db at 1.5 Hz.

If this is the case you still haven´t got the full potential from the xsoz. I have been there.

Attachments

• bsoz versus xsoz and xsoz responce.jpg
    bsoz versus xsoz and xsoz responce.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,371
Henrik,

Thanks for bringing that up again. I will make the modification and
report back. Maybe my initial listening impressions were biased
because it's something i built? ;) Is there a specific capacitor you
are using for that part? Thanks again for all your hard work in
this area!

Paul,

You are right - there is a steep curve of diminishing returns when
you are dealing with the SOZ and output power. It's easy to be
seduced by the power of the watt :devilr:

x-bosoz gain

The gain at the original BSOZ an SOZ was controlled by R115 and R207, now it is by R120, R121, R122, R123, and R212, R213, R214, R215, all resistors in the X-feedbackloop.
I have kept the original gainlevel, and also this gave the best frequency responce.

Henrik:

I know the formula for original bosoz's gain is 20*log(R1+R2/R15). Is the gain for x-bosoz's gain calculated in this way:

gain=20*log[R1+R2/(R120+R121)//(R122+R123)] ?

Thanks,

Thomas

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Ralf,

I recently finished a 15W SOZ, with intentions of X-ing it at some point, and its absoultely one of finest amplifiers i've listened to. According to comments by NP in the ZV6 article, there isn't a seismic shift in subjective performance between SOZ vs XSOZ, or SOX as he calls it, but it is worth the effort if you've already built a SOZ.... "I certainly recommend that you run out and buy about 10 dollars worth of parts and upgrade it". I think a great amp is a great amp, no matter what era we're in. Toplogies aside between an amp like F5 and SOZ/XSOZ, the biggest difference in the last 10 years or so is the use of Jfets, either in the input or output stage, the latter being more difficult to obtain. A lot of the DIY efforts around here lately are of the First Watt types and typically in the ~25W range, and you can drive a wider range of speakers. The SOZ/XSOZ are more relegated to full range/horns. Don't forget the fact that a SOZ/XSOZ at 25W would be a major undertaking in power supply and chassis building i.e. Monoblock. With most of the FW offerings, you can buy chassis/PCB's/Fets at the diyAudio store, and have an amp built in hours, and you'd be quite happy. If it's a choice between F5 and SOZ/XSOZ...if you have sensitive drivers, SOZ/XSOZ would be my choice without a doubt. Hope that helps.

Regards,
John

Attachments

• art_zv6.pdf
    98.1 KB · Views: 86
Thanks, John

20 years ago i build SOX /BSOX, but while time passed i build may amps and speakers. best of them were Hiragas and many Class D amps.
now, i am back in Class A with Hiraga 30w and Hiraga Le Monstre and very pleased of them. somehow i stumbled over all the newer Pass amps and wonder if its worth to build one or some of them. especially the older SOX/BSOX, due to its aesthetic simplicity.
yes i have sensitive speakers.
i am thinking about it...

Hi Ralf,

I recently finished a 15W SOZ, with intentions of X-ing it at some point, and its absoultely one of finest amplifiers i've listened to. According to comments by NP in the ZV6 article, there isn't a seismic shift in subjective performance between SOZ vs XSOZ, or SOX as he calls it, but it is worth the effort if you've already built a SOZ.... "I certainly recommend that you run out and buy about 10 dollars worth of parts and upgrade it". I think a great amp is a great amp, no matter what era we're in. Toplogies aside between an amp like F5 and SOZ/XSOZ, the biggest difference in the last 10 years or so is the use of Jfets, either in the input or output stage, the latter being more difficult to obtain. A lot of the DIY efforts around here lately are of the First Watt types and typically in the ~25W range, and you can drive a wider range of speakers. The SOZ/XSOZ are more relegated to full range/horns. Don't forget the fact that a SOZ/XSOZ at 25W would be a major undertaking in power supply and chassis building i.e. Monoblock. With most of the FW offerings, you can buy chassis/PCB's/Fets at the diyAudio store, and have an amp built in hours, and you'd be quite happy. If it's a choice between F5 and SOZ/XSOZ...if you have sensitive drivers, SOZ/XSOZ would be my choice without a doubt. Hope that helps.

Regards,
John

thanks!
i am still thinking about...
for which woud you decide between X-SOZ/ X-BOSOZ combo and Aleph2 with Aleph P1.7?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm actually in the (sort of) middle of building an XSOZ/X-BOSOZ and a monster Aleph. I even bought a Dact CT2-10k-4 attenuator for my X-BOSOZ that I've been tryin to build for years. If NP would just take a break from churning out projects for us, I'd actually finish something :D. I have Aleph P1.7 pcbs, but they've been collecting dust. I had a custom 3000VA 35V toroid made for just the occasion, to be able to build both Aleph and XSOZ, which will be driven by the X-BOSOZ. I'd probably go with the XSOZ/XBOSOZ first. I listened to a 15W SOZ for a few months, it's excellent. But I feel I haven't listened to it properly with a proper preamp, was using a DRV134 to convert to balanced, being driven by a NAD 1155. Build it, and build it big!

-john

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Aleph spread.jpg
    Aleph spread.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 205
  • big trafo.jpg
    big trafo.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 217
hi John,

there seem to be further fanatics on this planet :D

similar, as you, i too have lots of big transformers and about 70kg of heatsinks, waiting for beeing installed in amplifiers.

do you have experiences with other amps than your 15W X SOZ?
why do want to drive alephs and X-SOZ with X-BOSOZ and not with Aleph P 1.7?
Do you know the gain of aleph x?

i hesitate a bit, because i wonder if its worth to build sooo big amps, which consume sooo much amperes and heat...:confused:

here is one of two of my tiny Hiraga Monoblocks, with "only" 2 amperes current per side. its about 1 meter length.
it really sounds very good, but i need to build further amps in boring Corona times.

Attachments

• Hiraga.jpg
    Hiraga.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 183
Holy capacitors! Did I count right 660 electrolytic's per channel? Wow that's impressive. Are they 100uf each or more? And are there more pictures of these wonderful amps I can look at for further inspiration?

@MEGAamp I am starting to get an idea of where your screen name came from, I guess it's better than "Dude with tons of GIANT heatsinks":) I am eagerly awaiting your Aleph X progress.

Jeffrey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.