World's Best DAC's

Hello Marce,

Yes you are right, but here there are some people who are more playing the provocation without saying what are the main devices they own.
Testimonials like Ostripper about materials or Andrea Ciuffoli's test on dac chips with à same layout test bench are too rare...

At minima some in this thread should say why they have what they have....

"better sounding DAC's" ??

At some point , they are equally pleasing.
My two , (Wolfson WM8766G and PCM 1792A)
sound the same.

OS
The two so called DACs you mention are DAC-chips , not the final product.
The analogue section, the filtering has as much (if not more) influence on the final sound of a finished DAC unit.
Also the ASIO and WASAPI are just two different ways of bypassing the windows mixer, in order to 'talk' to the DAC directly.
Why do some people on this forum are convinced that anybody who buys an expensive DAC must be an idiot with more money than sense (because they all sound the same)?
There was such a school of thought, back in 70's and 80's about turntables.
Some thought, the turntable is just a rotating platter, there is no way it could have an effect on the final sound, hell they all sound the same.
Now we know different, but then, very successfully and bravely manufacturers such as Linn and Roksan went against such grain, produced turntables that delighted many 'in the know' -
those turntables if serviced and setup right can still delight.

Hello Marce,

Yes you are right, but here there are some people who are more playing the provocation without saying what are the main devices they own.
Testimonials like Ostripper about materials or Andrea Ciuffoli's test on dac chips with à same layout test bench are too rare...

At minima some in this thread should say why they have what they have....
Here is my eq.
@Home: Ripped music on server, Leema acoustics elements DAC, home build OTL mono-block tube amps, Sonus Faber grand piano home speakers (rebuilt Xovers)
@Work: Teac UD501 DAC, home made EL84 based 15W poweramp, Sonus Faber Concerto's (rebuilt Xovers)
I also have had or still do, Asus Xonar pci sound card, Asus xonar essence one, Teac UD-H01, Benchmark DAC1, Audiolab M-Dac, PS Audio digital Link III, Meridian 208 CD player, Meridian 203 DAC, Chord (?) DAC which I did not like very much.

How do you know if they are better sounding or same when played at matched volume?
You and your level matched listening tests!
that's only part of the story.
For most, living with a piece of equipment matters, that why prudent people part with money, after a dealer allows them 'home auditioning' for weeks before buying.
In a controlled room, concentrating to pick up differences between A & B is not the same as listening to a device for sometime.
Level matched, blind or otherwise, listening tests are good engineers, so are specifications, graphs and numbers.
You don't buy a BMW because it has so many lb/inch compression in each cylinder, do you?
Nor do you buy a sports car, after just a quick test drive.
(if you do, lend us some money, you must have a lot)

KenTajalli said:
so all this 24/96, 24/192, DSD were all in vain
Probably, yes. Most people can't distinguish them from CD. In far too many cases, 'hi-res' material is simply processed CD.

planet10 said:
Where are the papers?
I saw this stuff in a 1960s book by James Moir. He describes how the technical requirements for hi-fi were established. Of course, we know a bit more now; sad that some people want to behave as though we now know less!

Eldam said:
bah, all this thread should be clearer if members wtitted their actual main devices on the baseline signature as some rare members did!
I am very pleased that this forum is generally free from such silly distractions.

Probably, yes. Most people can't distinguish them from CD. In far too many cases, 'hi-res' material is simply processed CD.
Those are the ones, people can not distinguish!
HDTracks.com do not publish any material, they find out to be CD quality, they do this by comparing the material against the CD, it must pass 24/88.2KHz at least.
BTW a lot of DSD's are the same.
Also a lot DSD's start life as 24/96KHz or 24/192KHz recorded and mixed.
Most recording studios do not have native DSD equipments yet.
It would be nice to check out a fully native DSD piece of music played back on a proper system.

Last edited: