Woden Designs Poplar Build (finally happening!)

I´ve built Poplars with Alpair 10.3 some years ago. They are still my reference FR speakers.
They have very small visual footprint in the room due to on wall design. Bass and fullness of sound is very surprising, yet this metal cone driver gives crispy details I prefer over paper cone FR drivers.
Lately Ive tried to study/learn from choices in enclosure and tuning that Planet10 and Scottmoose made to make them work so well.
My strong recommendations for them.

Heres pic when they were finished at garage wall.
Woden_Poplars.png

In attachment measurement package from 1m using my turning table and Dats V3 ZMA for Vituixcad sim if someone is interested.

Attachments

• Alpair_Poplar.zip
    470.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
Heres on axis, 15 and 20-degree off-axis. Theres no room gain included (measured at my turning table in the middle of room) I used them years like this/without notch filter in my cottage with joy. Recently in different listening space, I made notch filter which made them more relaxed.

Alpair poplar on axis.png
Alpair poplar Hor 15.png
Alpair poplar Hor 20.png

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Mitch!
I dont need any more treble even with larger spread /room /more off-axis.
Pic in above post was taken in strange angle and they look in it much larger they are. Ill post later when in home a pic when they are positioned beside with my Axiom 401´s so you can see their size better.

I dont have any measurements with room gain included but they dont boom. I tried to simulate them in Vituixcad´s enclosure tool and they have clever tuning: response starts droop earlier at approx 150-200hz (if remember correctly) and when positioned on wall everything clicks in place. But I think my sim dont tell whole truth because they are MLTL(?) and sim was with vented option. Think its still quite near.
Poplar plans included detailed description about stuffing and bracing and thought when building that maybe thats too much stuffing, maybe leave some out.. But fortunately I followed plans!

I remember how astonished many of my friends were when they heard them first time. For example with some show of tracks like Bela Fleck´s - Flight of cosmic hippo sounded really good with great bass you wouldnt believe to get from so small speakers at first place.

Reactions: 1 user