WM8805 upgrade board (cs8414 pins) - dissapointed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

You've successfully put your finger on the very reason I'm not an SPDIF hater like the rest of you :D That reason being minimal noise when done right owing to relative ease of isolation from nasty fast logic and CM hash.

No reason for I2S to not be isolated. You can even use SPDIF Transformers, if you know how to use them (and they do not have this stoopeed screen).

So I reckon the WM8805 is definitely worth persevering with.

Yes it is... But it's a major PITA in SW Mode. It is okay in HW mode only, bot no 176.4KHz.

Ciao T

Hello,

I'm configuring the WM8805 in hardware mode. Some pins are used for configuration AND output of error flags. According to the spec sheet if a pin needs to be HIGH for configuration it's connected to V+ via a 10K resistor. The same pin can then, I assume, output a low/high for the error flag.

Problem is that I need that pin LOW on startup instead of HIGH. How would I achieve this? A capacitor to ground? What value?

Anything wrong with grounding some pins for hardware config. even if these are supposed to output various error flags? Or should I use 10K to ground as well?

Thanks!

Last edited:
WM8805 in hardware mode works better !

I managed to put the WM8805 board in hardware mode and it locks into 44.1Khz SPDIF correctly and works well !

However it has trouble locking onto 24/96 which I find weird. I wonder if my pulldown resistor to ground on pin GP0 is working correctly since I also don't get the Error_Flag working either (shared on the same pin).

When fed 24/96 it sounds as if it is partially locking - like a radio that drifts every 2-3 seconds with some white noise in between stations and no bass. I assume this is a locking issue and not a 16bit vs 24bit output issue (pin GP0 again).

PS: Also the CEN I/V sounds better than the stock OpAmps.

Glad to hear it I hope you work out your 96kHz problem .

It seems others are more interested in talking about their personnel preferences of SPDIF instead of keeping on track and assisting in sorting this problem out which seems to be an ongoing theme in Diyaudio .

I think there should be less bragging and more helping from the more knowledgeable in this forum .

Hi,

I managed to put the WM8805 board in hardware mode and it locks into 44.1Khz SPDIF correctly and works well !

However it has trouble locking onto 24/96 which I find weird. I wonder if my pulldown resistor to ground on pin GP0 is working correctly since I also don't get the Error_Flag working either (shared on the same pin).

Plesase send me a message with your e-mail. I can send you an excerpt of the schematic of a DAC Board with the WM8805 in Hardware mode, which we did for an OEM Customer. This is known working, so you should be able to copy this. I cannot post the schematic due to copyright/IP issues.

PS: Also the CEN I/V sounds better than the stock OpAmps.

That should not really come as too much of a surprise, right?

Ciao T

Hi,

I'm reviving this thread because I've seen another wm8805 software controlled board available, which might pair well with AMB's y2 DAC, and I wondered if anyone had tried it ? Any thoughts on this design ? It seems quite similar to the implementation in a 4x TD1543 DAC. Anyone tried this ? Any obvious problems/upgrades needed ?
On Ebay
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Same on Taobao
¶à¹¦ÄܽâÂë½ÓÊÕÇл»°å ´ø4ÖÖÒôƵÊý¾ÝÊä³ö¸ñʽ-ÌÔ±¦Íø

And the DAC on Ebay
DAC TDA1543*4+WM8805 NOS USB, Optical, Coaxial input | eBay
and Taobao
TDA1543 4.0U ͬÖá ¹âÏË USB ½ÓÊÕ-ÌÔ±¦Íø

Same seller ?

Thanks for any comments.

Tom

Hi,

I'm reviving this thread because I've seen another wm8805 software controlled board available, which might pair well with AMB's y2 DAC, and I wondered if anyone had tried it ? Any thoughts on this design ? It seems quite similar to the implementation in a 4x TD1543 DAC. Anyone tried this ? Any obvious problems/upgrades needed ?
On Ebay
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Same on Taobao
¶à¹¦ÄܽâÂë½ÓÊÕÇл»°å ´ø4ÖÖÒôƵÊý¾ÝÊä³ö¸ñʽ-ÌÔ±¦Íø

And the DAC on Ebay
DAC TDA1543*4+WM8805 NOS USB, Optical, Coaxial input | eBay
and Taobao
TDA1543 4.0U ͬÖá ¹âÏË USB ½ÓÊÕ-ÌÔ±¦Íø

Same seller ?

Thanks for any comments.

Tom
This is from the same seller I would not buy anything from raindrop_hui as they do not know how to design audio electronics and have proven themselves time and again to be unreliable and un-supportive of their customers .

I have for example made the mistake of purchasing their 4 X Wolfson DAC which had the transformer bolts missing and the output capacitors were all installed backwards as well as the receiver would not lock on some 24/96 recordings (an ongoing theme with raindrop_hui) .

The second TDA1514A DAC had a faulty receiver chip .

And the current Wolfson WM8805 to CS8414 converter upon emailing raindrop_hui and informing her that the chip would lose lock after several minutes her first reply was to for me to completely redesign the power supply with her suggested design and then later on to say it was a waste of time to supply me with a working Wolfson WM8805 to CS8414 converter .

So from my experience and many many others keep well away from raindrop_hui designed audio electronics as they never work correctly or are faulty as well as you do not get support from raindrop_hui .

Hi,

Well what can I say ? I live in this part of the world so I'm very used to poor standards that would never be tolerated in Europe. Even my lovely Klipsch speakers had been assembled badly (in China...) and I had to fix them. Fair play to Klipsch though - they seemed genuinely interested in fixing QC problems.

I also have the delightful "limited warranty" rubbish here. I used to joke that you get a one-yard guarantee in Hong Kong, but Nokia don't even give this unless you buy their phone from one of only six registered retailers here. Sick eh ?

So I'm hopeful but equally prepared to be disappointed... and to need to fix it myself.

What would make me return it would be a fake chip.

I checked with the Taobao seller, and the clock is 3.3V but it is 12Mhz, and I really wanted 24Mhz or 27Mhz. Is it possible to switch without re-programming ?

Also do you know anywhere I can get a well designed WM8805 receiver board ?

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
How much are you prepared to pay for a well designed solution? I used to work in audio design and have done a few SPDIF recievers, however I coulnt put anything together that I would be happy with for less than $100 possibly more.

I can't see how you could put this together for $36 in low volume make some profit and use real parts. So whilst there is no excuse for shoddy design I am amazed you can get anything at all.

Regards,
Andy

Hi,

How ? Wages in China is the answer. It's shocking how hard people work and how little they get for it.

If you can do a board with an i2s input, 4 isolated bnc, toslink, adp151 regs or better, low jitter clock like Crystek CCHD-957... then yeah, tell me your Paypal ;-)

Is anyone else interested ? Group buy coming on ? :)

Last edited:
I couldn't even buy the parts in the uk, never mind wages. However I have noticed parts are easier to buy at high volume prices even in lower volumes in the Chinese markets.

If you are really interested I could do a rough costing to see what it's likely to come out at buying parts from Uk low volume distribution.

Andy

The answer is no, as you need to set registers (software mode). In hardware mode clock is default at 12MHz also.

Thanks. I guessed not but it is good to know.

I ordered one from Taobao and it should arrive in a few days, so I'll let you know if it is equally bad.

I noticed there is no buffer on the output (74VHC04 for example) so I think keeping the i2s connections as short and direct as possible will be very important.

An clean master clock seems to be critical too so I'm encouraged that this board isn't using an HC49 crystal, but something a little better, and will be easily upgraded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.