Wither Geddes Loudspeakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
augerpro said:
Earl there must be some way to get the good looks the hifi crowd wants without changing the design of the Summa. Have you looked at bamboo as the enclosure/layer/veneer? It's getting popular because it's cheap and made in china.

Also Mark Schifter at av123.com supplies OEM enclosures to others. He has factories in Brazil and China and the veneers he uses are just incredible. He's also a very enthusiastic and decent fellow.

I see exotic finishes as only adding cost to an already expensive system that appears to be too expensive for the market now. Thats why I went the other way - as low a cost as I can get while maintaining the performance.

Re: where ...

Bratislav said:
I gues that would be AI ...

http://www.ai-audio.com/contact.html

Earl,

would you consider selling the kits as 'parts only' (waveguide+foam+compression driver, bass unit and crossover/schematic) ? Having a box as part of kit will limit this to US only ...

The box is shipped unassembled and flat its probably insignificant compared to the other parts. The drivers would probably come local direct from the local B&C distributor. Not much is saved by elliminating a few pieces of wood. But yes, the shipping would raise the price of such a low cost product quite substantially.

Not having much success selling the assembled units, it dawned on me that the DIY, who Duke so correctly points out, is more open minded (sometimes) to new technology. The DIY wants to be part of the process, so I thought of a kit. But the old design was not kit material - it was far to complex to be built by a novice, even if they had some experience. So I will redesign the entire line around making it more affordable and easier to assemble, but retaining the majority of the Summa benefits.

I will start with the smaller box and go to the larger one. I am testing the 10" design today. This design is very compact at about 13" x 23" x 8". The 12" which is really the sweat spot in terms of performance will be next. It is more like 16" x 28" x 12".
Finally I may make the large 15" which is the performance leader, but gets pretty big.

I may do subs also - not sure. There is not a lot of value added to the sub for me and so I can't see a good business model for it as a kit.

You can see the expected performance andd sizes at www.ai-audio.com.

waveguide mfg.

How are you mfg. the waveguide? I've consulted / electroformed complex airfoil fiberglass layup mold masters for Boeing, instrument panel skin molds for GM, shower stall molds for Aquaglass, taillight lense assemblies for the auto industry, diamond turning blanks, etc. Can be a cost effective method for reproducing otherwise difficult shapes in large quantity, to high tolerances if necessary. easier than lost wax, etc. molding fab techniques.

Let me know if you'd like more info.

John L.

Re: Re: where ...

gedlee said:

The box is shipped unassembled and flat its probably insignificant compared to the other parts. The drivers would probably come local direct from the local B&C distributor. Not much is saved by elliminating a few pieces of wood. But yes, the shipping would raise the price of such a low cost product quite substantially.

Most of the players (including USPS) have abandoned surface mail options for overseas destinations. 20 kg of box material becomes horrendously expensive via air ... I was quoted by Parts Exress 500$ US for shipping four speakers that were on sale (RS315 subs) valued less than that !

The difference between purchasing plans+waveguide and having to buy complete kit could prove to be make or break for overseas customers/DIYers.
My down under 2 cents.

gedlee said:
I have got the crossover done yet. The slpes will depend on tradeoffs. I usually use third order, but sometimes second.

Ok. I was just wondering what was generally usable for the 10" waveguide since I'm interested in buying either those or the 12" when you get them shipped over here. I'll be using a B&C DE250 and crossing to a B&C 8NDL51, hopefully around 1500Hz.

Paul I agree. My experience so far says implementation is about 2/3 of the sound quality, and the drivers themselves are the remaining 1/3.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.