Wither Geddes Loudspeakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:

I guess it is a matter of value -- i think that building MDF boxes is a waste of time... it is not a suitable material for loudspeakers.

dave

I beg to differ, MDF is almost ideal. Its dense and well damped, its easy to work with, takes a finish well and is low in cost. Composite plastics can be better in performance, but high in cost, but next to those MDF is my preference. "Natural" woods are too resonant.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
gedlee said:
MDF is almost ideal. Its dense and well damped, its easy to work with, takes a finish well and is low in cost.

That is certainly the myth that has been perpetraited on us all... the only real attribute is low cost (the preceding 2 points can be lumped in there too)

dave

(the off-topic conversation which started after this post id her http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121614 :cop: )

>My idea was that if I made a really great loudspeaker at a very attractive price that I could end run the marketing.

Hi Earl - Catching up before this thread spins off too .... The above is pretty much what Ted Jordan tried in the 70s. He had a better speaker which has done okay but it didn't take over the world. I'm afraid marketing has it all these days.

Bruce Edgar also seems to be doing okay on a similar non-marketing route.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.