Winter DIY OTTAWA MEET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just to update...I'll try to make it both days as well. Knowing that there's some headphone set-ups, maybe I can bring something after all. I've got a Little Dot 1+ amp that is configured for headphones in 32-ohm territory. I also have some old AKG 240 sextette headphones, but no dedicated amp for them...they're around 600-ohms, if memory serves me correctly.

And an extra request for Owen (now that I noticed that you'll be attending):
You seem to be bringing a bunch of items, but if you happen to have some time, you mentioned that you might have some parts to populate the Moskido boards that I got from you at the last meet. Perhaps we can make a deal. If not convenient this time, don't worry about it, since I do not expect to tackle that project anytime soon. Thanks.

- Ron

Please see post #66 for the details of the Winter Ottawa DIY Audio Meet & Demo

The List (updated 14/1/11)

1. Rick (ripcard)---Sat. & Sun.---Bringing CSS Quartet 15 Sub-woofer, DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 (EQ for subs) and home built 8" Vifa two-way vented speakers of unknown origin for evaluation.
Would like to measure sub-woofer.

2. ? (gabdx)---I will demo a tda1541 dac from analogmetric, I will need a transport/amp/ speakers for that.

3. Mark (mwmkravchenko)---Sat. & Sun.---CBT line array with integrated dual 8" front loaded horn. 4, count them 4 subwoofers. All with the same driver complement (2 pcs Exodus Audio Anarchy 6 1/2").Front loaded, Tapped Horn, Vented, and Unhorn. You guys get to listen to them all and judge for yourselves what is what.

4. Pierre (PierreQuiRoule)---Sat. & Sun. ---Bringing amps this time. What types will be a surprise. I'll pass on measurements this time. I rather get in the mood for listening and enjoying good company :).

5. Dave (DDF)---Sat. & Sun.--- Look for the guy with bells on. Demo: passive pre-amp (a bit different than the usual) if there's time. A simple 2 way, if there's time. Mark and I have been discussing speaker measurement gear off-line.

6. Tony (Tony D)---I would like to attend also, $10 isn't a problem unfortunately I don't have anything to demo yet. Sorry guys.

7. Normand (normand)---I am new to this group but very curious about what is going on. I would like very much to attend.

8. John (bearberry)---Sat. & Sun.--- I hope to have ready some small speakers for use with a PC: Nano Neos, New Horizons, Zaph's project 18, and MicroFonken. Would like to make it for measurement session Saturday. And would like to hear any <$150 USB DACs anyone might have.

9. Ron (ronu9400)---Sat. & Sun.---I plan to be there, and my son might also attend. Shared the link with a couple of audio buddies, so perhaps they'll join us. I've got a Little Dot 1+ amp that is configured for headphones in 32-ohm territory. I also have some old AKG 240 sextette headphones, but no dedicated amp for them...they're around 600-ohms, if memory serves me correctly.

10. ? (MrSlim)---Sat. & Sun.---There are a few things I can bring (AMB Gamma 2 DAC, Headphonia CableDac, Cavalli CTH head amp, CK2III Head amp and a Panda Class A head amp (if I get the last two built over the christmas break), Senn HD580, AKG K601, and maybe a Salas DCB1. Unless someone has already identified a projector, I have one that I can bring, as long as my son isn't planning on using it..

11. Tyler (Redshift187)---I'll bring my LM3886 DC coupled amp and if it's finished a simple TDA1541/CS8412 NOS DAC.

12. Owen (opc)---I'll be there for sure. I can drag along the following:

1. Lynn Olsen's Ariel loudspeakers
2. Firstwatt F5
3. Pass Labs Aleph 2 monoblocks
4. My new headphone amp project "The Wire"
5. My "Finished" DAC project "New take on the classic D1"
6. Music Server (more stable this time)
7. A restored Dynaco ST-70 amplifier (there was no tube gear last time)
8. Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
9. AKG 240 MKII Headphones

I can also do a quick 30 minute presentation on SMPS design, and maybe a little class D amplifier design as well.

13. John (multisync)---I will bring a couple of things to give away and a lme49811 based power amp.(if I can stop modifying it)

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to say that I will be attending both days (sat and sun), and that I will indeed be doing a short 30 minutes presentation sometime on Sunday.

Ron,

I'll drag along the little baggie of parts that I have. I'm not sure what's in there, but it should be enough to get a start.

Cheers,
Owen

Hi,

I sent a bunch of stuff to Mark yesterday to give away in some fashion. We did inventory and kept finding stuff which probably won't sell so I hope some of you can make use of what will be available.

Bob

PS I'm planning to attend the show in Montreal at the end of March. Will likely be "attached" to the Solen room in some fashion.

I'll be there for sure, and I'd be up for helping both days if that's the way things go. I've got a whole acoustic measurement system as well, but I'm not sure if it's going to be needed with the two already up on offer. Let me know if I should plan to bring it.

As for equipment, I can drag along the following:

2. Firstwatt F5

Extremely interested in hearing your DIY F5.

Did you go with the current limiting on the F5 ? Dual or single supply ?

Wonder if one of the various Aikido tube preamps would be a good match.

Approx. what time will you be at General Burns ?

Last edited:

The List (updated 15/1/11)

1. Rick (ripcard)---Sat. & Sun.---Bringing CSS Quartet 15 Sub-woofer, DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 (EQ for subs) and home built 8" Vifa two-way vented speakers of unknown origin for evaluation.

2. ? (gabdx)---I will demo a tda1541 dac from analogmetric, I will need a transport/amp/ speakers for that.

3. Mark (mwmkravchenko)---Sat. & Sun.---CBT line array with integrated dual 8" front loaded horn. 4, count them 4 subwoofers. All with the same driver complement (2 pcs Exodus Audio Anarchy 6 1/2").Front loaded, Tapped Horn, Vented, and Unhorn. You guys get to listen to them all and judge for yourselves what is what.

4. Pierre (PierreQuiRoule)---Sat. & Sun. ---Bringing amps this time. What types will be a surprise. I'll pass on measurements this time. I rather get in the mood for listening and enjoying good company :).

5. Dave (DDF)---Sat. & Sun.--- Look for the guy with bells on. Demo: passive pre-amp (a bit different than the usual) if there's time. A simple 2 way, if there's time. Mark and I have been discussing speaker measurement gear off-line.

6. Tony (Tony D)---I would like to attend also, $10 isn't a problem unfortunately I don't have anything to demo yet. Sorry guys.

7. Normand (normand)---I am new to this group but very curious about what is going on. I would like very much to attend.

8. John (bearberry)---Sat. & Sun.--- I hope to have ready some small speakers for use with a PC: Nano Neos, New Horizons, Zaph's project 18, and MicroFonken. Would like to make it for measurement session Saturday. And would like to hear any <$150 USB DACs anyone might have.

9. Ron (ronu9400)---Sat. & Sun.---I plan to be there, and my son might also attend. Shared the link with a couple of audio buddies, so perhaps they'll join us. I've got a Little Dot 1+ amp that is configured for headphones in 32-ohm territory. I also have some old AKG 240 sextette headphones, but no dedicated amp for them...they're around 600-ohms, if memory serves me correctly.

10. ? (MrSlim)---Sat. & Sun.---There are a few things I can bring (AMB Gamma 2 DAC, Headphonia CableDac, Cavalli CTH head amp, CK2III Head amp and a Panda Class A head amp (if I get the last two built over the christmas break), Senn HD580, AKG K601, and maybe a Salas DCB1. Unless someone has already identified a projector, I have one that I can bring, as long as my son isn't planning on using it..

11. Tyler (Redshift187)---I'll bring my LM3886 DC coupled amp and if it's finished a simple TDA1541/CS8412 NOS DAC.

12. Owen (opc)---Sat. & Sun.---I'll be there for sure. I can drag along the following:

2. Firstwatt F5

I will do a quick 30 minute presentation on SMPS design, and maybe a little class D amplifier design as well.

13. John (multisync)---I will bring a couple of things to give away and a lme49811 based power amp.(if I can stop modifying it)

I would like to come. Sounds like a great opportunity to learn from you fellows.
I am interested in Saturday’s measuring results.
I am not really a DIY’er, so I do not really have anything to contribute.
Though I do make OC703 panels. I could bring some of them if it would help tame reflections off a back wall.
Now that I think of it, I would like to bring my Denon 5910 to see if any of you got any ideas in modifying/adjusting the HOP-1200S. Any takers?

You're welcome to come and please bring your panels. Room treatments is something we haven't explored yet. Can you make both days? Judging by your listed location, it'a a bit of a drive.

I'm not an electronics guy so I can't help you with your Denon but I'm sure others can.

The List (updated 16/1/11)

12. Owen (opc)---Sat. & Sun.---I'll be there for sure. I can drag along the following:

2. Firstwatt F5

I can also do a quick 30 minute presentation on SMPS design, and maybe a little class D amplifier design as well.

13. John (multisync)---I will bring a couple of things to give away and a lme49811 based power amp.(if I can stop modifying it)[/QUOTE]

14. Adam (Binary110)---I'll be there again. I'm gonna bring a dayton ma1240 (12 channel amplifier) and a behringer DCX2496. I wish someone had an Emotiva UMC-1 to throw into that mix so that i could see/use/hear one in the real world.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.