Wilmslow Audio - Prestige platinum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Two dogs isn't helping.

Not too bad though.

Attachments

• DSIR9592.JPG
    DSIR9592.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 294
To be honest I've given up with the shellac. It's great stuff for filling all the minor dinks and getting a perfectly flat finish but, when polished it looked terrible so I'm now using gloss paint in an aerosol.

I'm not surprised about the shellac but what sort of sealant and/or undercoat have you used? I have heard that mdf is a nightmare to paint because it is so absorbent.

I used an aerosol wood primer - only to keep away from bush marks.

Then I used an acrylic matt black base paint - the idea was to ebony shellac the black finish.

Then I used shellac. By this point the MDF is pretty flat, smooth and sealed.

I just couldn't get away from the application swirls of the shellac in the polished finish and by the time I'd polished them away I was wearing through to the primer in some places.

So, I just sprayed them with black gloss. Once that is fully dry I'll rub it down very lightly and polish them.

Or IT as it is at the moment - I've yet to build its partner.

I used an aerosol wood primer - only to keep away from bush marks.

Then I used an acrylic matt black base paint - the idea was to ebony shellac the black finish.

Then I used shellac. By this point the MDF is pretty flat, smooth and sealed.

I just couldn't get away from the application swirls of the shellac in the polished finish and by the time I'd polished them away I was wearing through to the primer in some places.

So, I just sprayed them with black gloss. Once that is fully dry I'll rub it down very lightly and polish them.

I was advised (by someone who paints F1 cars) to use Brasso (really) as a cutting agent to get a very flat finish, it worked very well. Also I used a super high gloss shoe polish (really!) to get a mirror finish. Oddly enough it doesn't come off on your hands, when you touch it, if it is polished out.

Or IT as it is at the moment - I've yet to build its partner.

Sure, anything in particular you'd like to know?

I'm using the 8x8 board taking a s/pdif digital in so acting as both DAC and crossover. I have it set up to use 6 of the 8 channels, 3 left and 3 right.

Crossover points currently 380Hz and 3.8KHz but still experimenting and will take some measurements at some point (when i get the mic) and see what EQ might be worth applying.

I can recommend the miniDSP, it makes life easier.

Sure, anything in particular you'd like to know?

I'm using the 8x8 board taking a s/pdif digital in so acting as both DAC and crossover. I have it set up to use 6 of the 8 channels, 3 left and 3 right.

Crossover points currently 380Hz and 3.8KHz but still experimenting and will take some measurements at some point (when i get the mic) and see what EQ might be worth applying.

I can recommend the miniDSP, it makes life easier.

I've just noticed the link to your other page describing the miniDSP. It looks quite complicated mechanically to get it into a suitable box. where does your spdif come from? Is it from a PC or from a PC via a USB/spdif converter, or from a hifi component? It seems to me that I might be able to do away with my DAC if I used one of these, it does the DAC and x-over all in one go. I must admit I find it difficult to imagine how s/w can sort all the bands of frequencies out!

10 000uF x 2.

I've opted for the older EI transformer for mains borne noise rejection.

15-0-15 (AC) into a pair of LM317/337 regs - should suffice I think.

Obviously the 15-0-15 is rectified, you can see the bridge next to the transformer.

There is additional filtering on the active crossover boards

Wow, that seems a lot. I have a power amp that only has 4700 x 2 per channel! You can't have too much I suppose.

I've just noticed the link to your other page describing the miniDSP. It looks quite complicated mechanically to get it into a suitable box. where does your spdif come from? Is it from a PC or from a PC via a USB/spdif converter, or from a hifi component? It seems to me that I might be able to do away with my DAC if I used one of these, it does the DAC and x-over all in one go. I must admit I find it difficult to imagine how s/w can sort all the bands of frequencies out!

SPDIF can come from anywhere, in my case as you mentioned from a USB to SPDIF converter out of my macbook.

You can buy the minidisp already cased up, in my situation i wanted to have XLR outputs so i put it all in a chassis to suit my needs. Actually the 8x8 has RCA outputs already on board, which can go straight to the amplifiers. Volume control with remote also.

The DSP chip does all the D to A but if you want to have your own external DACs (you're going to need 3 stereo DACs for a pair of 3-way active speakers), there are other digital only miniDSP products for that.

SPDIF can come from anywhere, in my case as you mentioned from a USB to SPDIF converter out of my macbook.

You can buy the minidisp already cased up, in my situation i wanted to have XLR outputs so i put it all in a chassis to suit my needs. Actually the 8x8 has RCA outputs already on board, which can go straight to the amplifiers. Volume control with remote also.

The DSP chip does all the D to A but if you want to have your own external DACs (you're going to need 3 stereo DACs for a pair of 3-way active speakers), there are other digital only miniDSP products for that.

I was wondering if you are using an spdif direct from a computer or if you had USB/spdif conversion, now I know. The reason I wondered is that I believe there is an advantage to be gained by using asynchronous USB, controlled by the converter not by the computer. I use all XLRs too so have the same requirement. You can use 3 stereo DACs but you can also use a single one with an analogue active crossover, this seems to be more common.

I don't have enough knowledge to comment on PCs but in the case of Macs - and their current Airport Express - they have a very good DAC chip built in. Unless you require additional facilities, they make an external DAC redundant. They output via optical or analog via the 3.5mm socket, with a suitable small converter plug for optical.

The miniDSP is a very neat, versatile box. There is a separate vendor thread on the forum here for more information on it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.