Wilmslow Audio Prestige Gold. Crossover help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
According to a poster considering the purchase of WA this type of kit is a significant part of the business and so they are getting bought. I suspect the OP for this thread and the previous one are more representative of their customers rather than regulars on DIY speaker forums. If WA returned to providing a competent basic crossover in the way they did in the past (I am guessing the current problems have arisen because they currently consist of non-technical sales person/people)

That was me. It's not going to happen though. After much consideration I decided against it. The value they and their agents placed on the company was just not a value which was bourne out by inspection of their accounts. A shame, I really wanted it to happen, I think what will eventually happen is that it'll just slip gently into the night. I have some other plans I'll talk about when I'm ready :)

Stefan

Ok, that's it I'm finished. I have had enough fiddling around.

GZXZjfI.png

QnsEolH.png

What about a phase plot?

Won't help much because there are no two-channel measurements with real acoustic and electric phase information.

The posted simulations are only a vague approximation of the real speaker.

Ideally the speakers should be measured individually in the box in two channel mode with corresponding impedance measurments.
When you don't change the microphone position you don't even need SEO data (in mm).

Could you probably post the boxsim-file?

Won't help much because there are no two-channel measurements with real acoustic and electric phase information.

The posted simulations are only a vague approximation of the real speaker.

Ideally the speakers should be measured individually in the box in two channel mode with corresponding impedance measurments.
When you don't change the microphone position you don't even need SEO data (in mm).

Could you probably post the boxsim-file?

No but at least we can see from a simm that the new circuit is at least on the right lines. Assuming the measurements that were used initially were reasonable ones we'll have a good idea. Are neither of the measurements used for the sim actual in box ones then?

Stefan

Oh, I had assumed some measurements had been taken along the way somewhere. Still if we assume at the crossover points the phase plots (without filters) are around the zero pole and if we make some assumption about the acoustic centres of the drivers we should have some idea if phase tracks reasonably enough to bother building the filters. Does boxsim allow you to get a measurement using a virtual filter? so you can see things track as expected.

Interesting Link (?)

I found an interesting item on the Solen site yesterday:

https://solen.ca/products/kits/solen-kits/pyramid/

Two Volts. One is powerful enough in a domestic environment! It seems extravagant.

A XO circuit diagram is there. Their crossover point is at 750Hz which is odd compared to ATC and PMC. Although, as we now know (see KatieandDad thread), Wilmslow XO appears to be higher than the 380Hz stated.

What does learned opinion think of this?

Sorry to hack your thread J.

From the looks of the published specs the mid bass crossover is closer to 450 which is where it really should be, looks like the bsc is being simmed into it in some way, pretty poor design really as it would imply the measurements aren't from the actual kit - very happy to be corrected on this. Yes two volt bass drivers is pretty insane for anywhere but a large control room.

Back to this thread.... everything here is pointless without actual measurements.

The poor design is really that the bass filter should be 4th. order for any real alignment with a dome mid. The crossover was always going to be around 600-700Hz. With a cone mid, the filters at second order would have worked.

The result of the second order bass filter and the Volt bass unit is heavy bass and some breakup IMO. I think that is why underzone is using his ears and upping the mid level to compensate. Nothing wrong with that, IMO.

With Solen's twin bass design, the 8 ohm mid and tweeter is getting pushed harder. I quite like impedance correction in some cases. But that's another topic. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.