Will linear deliver on promised lsj74

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Iv'e attached CSV files that contain 345 rows; a header row and then 344 JFET datapoints. Each datapoint contains VGS, IDSmeasured, IDSfitted, %error, and dIds/dVgs at that VGS.

%error = 100 * (fittedIDS - measuredIDS) / measuredIDS

Since they're CSV format, you can open them with Excel and plot the data just by clicking on the columns.

Fitted coefficients for the 8th order polynomial (with integer exponents) were
$coeff[0] = 1.3052375e-002 ;
$coeff[1] = -2.4183103e-002 ;
$coeff[2] = 8.4007222e-003 ;
$coeff[3] = 2.4333184e-003 ;
$coeff[4] = -3.5186917e-003 ;
$coeff[5] = 1.6250984e-003 ;
$coeff[6] = 5.5941643e-003 ;
$coeff[7] = 8.6130102e-004 ;
$coeff[8] = -4.2619386e-003 ;​

Fitted coefficients for the sum of non-integer-exponent terms (see post # 177) were
$coeff[0] = 1.3088344e-002 ;
$coeff[1] = -2.2937478e-002 ;
$coeff[2] = 9.7438075e-001 ;
$coeff[3] = 7.6904537e-003 ;
$coeff[4] = 2.1116741e+000 ;
$coeff[5] = 5.1756029e-003 ;
$coeff[6] = 5.8400235e+000 ;
$coeff[7] = -3.0127659e-003 ;
$coeff[8] = 8.1590383e+000 ;​

i.e. the exponents were 0.974, 2.111, 5.840, and 8.159.

Attachments

• fiterr_plot_2.png
    fiterr_plot_2.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 443
  • fitting_jfet_ids_then_differentiating.zip
    12.9 KB · Views: 38
LSJ74 / LSK170 vs. 2SJ74 / 2SK170

I/V Curve trace results of my Linear Systems LSK170B / LSJ74B (Thanks Jan Didden!) vs. Toshiba 2SK170 and 2SJ74:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Performed at V_GS = 0V, with 4 additional steps -50mV each.

-- xLoff

Attachments

• N-JFET.jpg
    N-JFET.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 559
  • P-JFET.jpg
    P-JFET.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 560
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Also there's not much hope of getting a sim to match real distortion performance, just the basics.
Oh, I don't know, folks seem perfectly happy to simulate distortion using LTSPICE BJT models, whose output conductance is similarly limited to a perfectly straight line with no curvature (d2Ice/d2Vce = 0).

Here's the BC550C BJT model from the Cordell website

Attachments

• cordell_BC550C_model.png
    cordell_BC550C_model.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 84
  • testjig.png
    testjig.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 92
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Right, Early voltage looks to be only 50V or so. Without cascodes these would behave very differently from the Toshibas. OTOH they are more triode like. :D

That's the spirit!! Although most of this is way over my head, my intuition tells me that people are concentrating too much on whether they are identical to the toshiba's and less on what the implications for real world applications will be :) Sure it might be a bit different, but can those differences be used to advantage, rather than be a hindrance?

Tony.

Oh, I don't know, folks seem perfectly happy to simulate distortion using LTSPICE BJT models, whose output conductance is similarly limited to a perfectly straight line with no curvature (d2Ice/d2Vce = 0).

Here's the BC550C BJT model from the Cordell website

The Level 1 JFET model deviates grossly from reality for these short channel FET's, which folks like to use in simple open-loop or minimum feedback circuits. Over much of their range bipolars are far closer to a straight line. BTW I couldn't get that extra JFET parameter in LTSPICE to do anything useful. The level 3 model uses the tanh fitting parameter (pic).

Attachments

• taki.JPG
    taki.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yep, a standard kludge people use to make long channel models, kinda sorta fit the behavior of short channel transistors, is to insert a source resistance. This causes the saturation knee voltage "VDSsat" to grow more slowly, and kinda sorta emulates carrier velocity saturation. When you go past the knee and get into the saturation region proper, the model will give a straight line with no curvature.

A fun project, maybe the scope of a bachelor's thesis, would be to build a simulation macromodel that combined a level1 JFET with a BSIM3 MOSFET, giving a 3 terminal black box with the same IV curves and same capacitances and same input impedance, as a short channel JFET.

Yep, a standard kludge people use to make long channel models, kinda sorta fit the behavior of short channel transistors, is to insert a source resistance. This causes the saturation knee voltage "VDSsat" to grow more slowly, and kinda sorta emulates carrier velocity saturation. When you go past the knee and get into the saturation region proper, the model will give a straight line with no curvature.

A fun project, maybe the scope of a bachelor's thesis, would be to build a simulation macromodel that combined a level1 JFET with a BSIM3 MOSFET, giving a 3 terminal black box with the same IV curves and same capacitances and same input impedance, as a short channel JFET.

Except with these FET's more than 25 or so Ohms mucks up the noise. I would make a "noiseless" resistor with a VCCS feeding back on itself, give it a poly function maybe you could get a great fit (thinking out loud).

I use this trick to make noiseless filters in sims.

Simulations with JFET´s have never been useful as circuits I have connected up and performs like expected do not simulate correct, and some of my circuits cannot be simulated at all without adding extra virtual components in the simulation circuit, but still not giving a result that have any real relation to the physical circuit.

Wow is the lambda (output impedance) of the LSK parts that bad? Transistormarkj, what values for the model parameters does this give?

Hi,

Could you or someone expand on this a bit for my education? Are you simply referring to "output impedance" as the inverse of transductance, or as a different parameter? And if a different parameter, what in the curves reflects the output impedance? If I sound confused, it is normal. Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.