• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Wiener group buy #2 - Stereo and PBTL editions available!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm eager to use my Pono player as a balanced source with the Wiener. Gmarsh was kind enough to offer a schematic for the balanced hook up. The Wiener card should arrive any day.

While waiting for my card, I finally got the nerve to do surgery on a pair of Klipsch X4s to render them "balanced" in the sense that left and right channels no longer share a common ground. The patient survived the surgery, The improvement in SQ is dramatic.

The first thing noticed is the need attenuate the volume compared to single-ended. The separation and depth of soundstage are spooky. The details are fantastic.

The balanced results with the Wiener and speakers are eagerly anticipated and will be shared.

Attachments

• balanced Klipsch X4s.jpg
    balanced Klipsch X4s.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Got my boards all soldered up. Love my reflow oven! Just waiting on a different output filter cap before I start moving electrons around.

Some questions (mine were not pre-assembled):

- What are the shipping/default/preferred jumper settings?

- Any special connections to make between the two boards for pbtl mode?

- If want to install a mute function, do I wire the boards to a DPST switch?

- For transformer-coupled input, can I leave out the input caps and just wire-link the board at those locations?

BK

I normally set the cards for 26dB gain, 500 or 600khz switching frequency, PLIMIT pot fully clockwise and startup delay pot in the middle. These aren't really "suggested" settings, mess with them and decide what works best for you.

You can jumper the card's sync headers together and set one card to slave if you want, or run them asynchronously.

If the cards are grounded together, you can just connect the mute inputs together.

And yeah, with transformer input you can replace the input caps with wire links. You can also turn down the startup delay as those caps no longer have to charge. Just don't connect the center tap on the amp side to ground.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Case is an RE2205 with black anodized front and no cutouts on backpanel by request. I bought from siliconray, but their site isn't opening for me today. Nice little enclosure. Plenty on the bay, but not sure if the quality is the same. I notched the side panels to mount the boards as far as possible R/L and gain some interior width. Single board is no problem.

BK

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sounds awesome, I'd like to see how that turns out. Dunno what BK has built above for a linear supply but it looks pretty decent. I usually use switchers for everything.

Anyway, after spending an entire evening at it, I've got two cards tested and working out of the five remaining I have to send out.

Had a PCB fault on one board so that's now in the salvage pile, working on a fourth card right now where the TPA isn't turning on. SDZ is high, MUTE is low but the chip is showing zero signs of life...) Gonna call it an evening and hopefully get the other ones done tomorrow night.

Yes, I'm using the trusty sigma 11 from AMB: The σ11 regulated power supply

I have them in a bunch of different audio projects and they've been great performers.

Just know that by design there is no current limiting or other protections, and the heavy ground plane makes a few of the components challenging to properly solder.

Some would argue that a linear regulated supply is a philosophical mismatch for a class D amp, but to my ears there are benefits.

BK

For a birthday "surprise" my wife gave me the Wiener that arrived 2 weeks ago. It looks great. I hope to make it sing this weekend. Putting it into a case will wait awhile.

What are good sources for a thermal pad and mounting hardware?

Gary, I have the schematic you drew up. Do I nee to do anything special to the board to use the differential outputs from my Pono player?

Thanks for your hard work.

Nope, just follow the schematic I gave you earlier and you should be fine. (I can't remember where I put that schematic - might be in my e-mail, might be in my PM's, too tired to go looking).

Anyway, it's 1:20AM and EVERYTHING IS BUILT. The "wouldn't turn on" card was a shorted GVDD cap. All five boards remaining to be sent are fully built/tested, and I have two spares left. I'll hang onto these until I'm sure everyone else has received their orders, then I'll make them available.

Unfortunately I'm out of bubble mailers, I'll pick them up tomorrow after work, boards will hit the post office on Saturday. Thanks everyone for putting up with my slow ****.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.