Why not Schottkys ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mark

I see what you mean now, but what kind of arrangements are the diodes in at the AC end? It looks like a half wave rectifier but the diodes are the wrong way round aren't they?

Can anyone explain what the diode in parallel with the resistors and the MBR1045s on the DC output side are doing?

Last edited:
I still have more than two dozen diode types that I've purchased but haven't tested yet, so ... nothing to release for public consumption. Among the untested are the "Hyperfast" RHRP860 and the "Hyperfast-II" FFPF08H60S. I'm curious whether they differ from their "Stealth" bretheren.

But perhaps you have already shown your current thinking in this post? :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...ld-linear-12v-power-supply-7.html#post3712707

"I myself certainly would not select or pay for Cree's Silicon Carbide diodes; instead I'd probably choose something like the Fairchild FFPF30UP20S. It's rated for 30 amps, 200 volts, and most importantly, it's an honest to goodness soft recovery diode with the softness parameters (ta, tb) measured and specified on the datasheet. Non repetitive peak surge current is 300 amps. It's way cheaper than the Cree diode too: Mouser has 1129 of them in stock, on the shelf, for $1.24 each in quantity 10 (link)"

I bought from Mouser (link in post25) recently after being put off many times by their high UK pricing.

I paid for the goods + VAT + postage and packing and including all fees and stated import fees and taxes.

I then had to pay the messenger £11 at the door, because they (the Courier) had added on their fee for handling an import from outside the EU.

Never again !

DigiKey are just as bad.

ONsemi added on fees that almost exceeded the cost of the product to send an order into the UK.
Then USPS asked for their fee (by letter) a couple of days after delivery. USPS claimed I had a contract with them and their bill was almost as big as the cost of the goods. I fought this one and eventually won my case. There was no contract between me and USPS. The contract was between ONsemi and USPS. ONsemi had added on so much for postage and packing they could easily settle with USPS and still make a profit.

It does not seem to be taxes on imports into the UK that is the problem.

It's the fees (sometimes hidden) attached by all the parties from the seller to the customer that makes up the exorbitant cost.

Last edited:
I have not tried this experiment.

What happens when each rectifier in a bridge rectifier is replaced with two (or three) diodes in series.
If using Schottkys the voltage drop penalty would still be less than/similar to conventional diodes.
Apart from cost increase, with the standard/ typical supply arrangement, what changes ?.
Simulation anyone ?.

Dan.

I bought from Mouser (link in post25) recently after being put off many times by their high UK pricing.

I paid for the goods + VAT + postage and packing and including all fees and stated import fees and taxes.

I then had to pay the messenger £11 at the door, because they (the Courier) had added on their fee for handling an import from outside the EU.

Never again !

DigiKey are just as bad.

ONsemi added on fees that almost exceeded the cost of the product to send an order into the UK.
Then USPS asked for their fee (by letter) a couple of days after delivery. USPS claimed I had a contract with them and their bill was almost as big as the cost of the goods. I fought this one and eventually won my case. There was no contract between me and USPS. The contract was between ONsemi and USPS. ONsemi had added on so much for postage and packing they could easily settle with USPS and still make a profit.

It does not seem to be taxes on imports into the UK that is the problem.

It's the fees (sometimes hidden) attached by all the parties from the seller to the customer that makes up the exorbitant cost.

I've now had a half dozen orders from Mouser without any problem. You should contact Mouser in the UK and get it refunded.

But we digress...

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hmm, the Fairchild diode that Mouser-USA sells for USD 1.60, are on the Farnell UK website for GBP 1.09. (link). At today's exchange rate that's 14% higher, although I'm the first to admit I have no idea how V.A.T. affects the comparison. And, what do I know, perhaps Farnell UK also tacks on hidden fees, after-the-fact fees, government fees, and imported-goods fees, even on items that have "624 in UK stock for next day delivery", like these Fairchild diodes.

Farnel sell from the UK.
There are no import taxes and no middle men demanding fees for a service they didn't provide.

VAT is added at 20% and we all know that as fact. It's not hidden.

Mouser and Digikey are not selling from the UK.
They have UK websites that quote prices in GBP that bear no relation to the final cost of the imported product.

Because he knows a little bit more than he knew when he joined the Forum.

The point of the forum is for those with more knowledge to share it with those less blessed Andrew, not to gloat about it! I was asking straight questions about the diodes on the output and the diode in parallel with the resistors, so how about sharing your knowledge in a straight answer?

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Farnel sell from the UK.
There are no import taxes and no middle men demanding fees for a service they didn't provide.
Whew, that's good to hear. Farnell has the Fairchild soft recovery diodes in UK stock for next day delivery (post #29), and just now I also checked all of the semiconductors needed to build a Quasimodo V4 board. All of them are in UK stock for next day delivery, on Farnell's UK website. {for the low-Rds MOSFET, Farnell stocks "substitute#2" as shown on the Quasimodo V4 Bill of Materials, the IRLU8726. Its Rds is 0.0058 ohms.}

Is there any reason why we should not use schottky diodes at the bridge rectifier on a normal 240V AC power supply but rather use the 1N5400 series, or the 6A20G or similar? The silicon diodes will drop more voltage so will spend more power and will get hotter and we will get less DC voltage. The schottkys have more reverse current, but I am not sure how to factor that in. This is not a switched mode, so the frequency on the diodes will be sinusoidal at 50Hz.

So , why not schottkys ?

Or the LT4320. Has anyone tried it? More expensive but runs much cooler due to lower losses. Link.

I see what you mean now, but what kind of arrangements are the diodes in at the AC end?
A pair of ordinary four diode bridge rectifiers that are used in the typical arrangement for supporting a dual secondaries transformer.
Can anyone explain what the diode in parallel with the resistors
CRC filtration whereby the diode limits sag so that transformer current isn't wasted excessively into the resistor and therefore bass power isn't wasted.
and the MBR1045s on the DC output side are doing?
That is for cost effective dual mono
That was an older schematic--the MBR1645's used as series elements, will work better if relocated to the "amplifier board side of" the dc umbilical cable.

A pair of ordinary four diode bridge rectifiers that are used in the typical arrangement for supporting a dual secondaries transformer.

OK. I see now. The AC inputs are connected to the junction of each pair of series diodes in each +/- leg. Your schematic just shows parallel pairs of series diodes, not a bridge rectifier because there's no indication of where the AC inputs go.

CRC filtration whereby the diode limits sag so that transformer current isn't wasted excessively into the resistor and therefore bass power isn't wasted.

How does it limit sag exactly? By what feature of diodic operation?

That is for cost effective dual mono
That was an older schematic--the MBR1645's used as series elements, will work better if relocated to the "amplifier board side of" the dc umbilical cable.
Again, what do they actually DO?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.