Why is the tweeter above the midrange/ woofer?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Nope:Pinoc:
Its like they say, "they just aint doing it right :rolleyes:

Its like I said, you need to learn how to make the flaws of a xover work in your favour, and dont try to make it do something it cannot
Dont blame the xover or drivers if it doesnt work

Last edited:
When I originally engineered my 3 way Helios I placed the midrange above the tweeter and woofer below it, then I played with crossover slopes until my on axis frequency response was fairly flat, while the null between midrange and woofer at the projected "suckout" point was tilted toward the floor. It worked out. Normally I would have a floor bounce related cancellation at 400-500Hz at listening position, but having a 500Hz null pointed at the floor, mitigated it to a degree- at least in simulations.
So, unusual placement of drivers can be part of design.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Althou in far too many cases the cure is worse than the illness....

Ok, "in far too many cases", I will give you that credit ;)

Funny that one of your best is a 2way with a standard active filter...Im just joking Dave :p
Well, Im actually grown up with fullrange and horns, and know what to expect
You may not remember, but I was the first here to point at the cute little FF85, and asked why noone was interested in that driver

But fact is, you have realised that these little fellows sound better in many ways
Only, they are mostly cone tweeters with low Fs
So, you still need a woofer, and make 2way, or learn to live without bass
And maybe even use flawed electronics to make it work
Dave, Im still joking ;)

Right, I have heard some pretty awful speakers, be it systems with a fullrange driver as well as multiways
In either case, its equally important to know a lot about how to do it

No my friends, a "fullrange" 300-20khz planar, that rocks
Same thing, only way better
And its a 2way, and have all the advantages that comes with a 2way

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Indeed... XO evils were minimized by making it low level with no active components, a quite low XO point, simple, careful driver placement and toe in.

dave

Hmm, sure if it makes you feel better that way, no problem ;)
Simply means to me that you have found your way of making it work, which is all its about really
Others have found theirs, if they are lucky
Doesnt generally mean one way is better that the other
I suppose we could have the very same discussion about amp feedback, tubes, SS amps, classA AB B D etc
We all know that if it doesnt work theres only one to blame

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My 10F/RS225 FAST are upside down (tweeter below woofer) and it gives perfect time alignment for transient perfect XO. The chest punch of audio is more substantial with the woofer at ear level. It sounds natural and the percussion is very clear and sharp.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor.273524/
here is the measured step response:
1644016751136.png

Thanks. I am very close to these speakers almost texas headphone orientation when I started to hear the null. In theory my setup should be somewhat phase linear through the crossover region - at least before it hits the drivers. I am using a phase offset to correct the LR2 and it's phase distortions on these monitors. I may have just not had them up high enough but I really didn't want to redo my entire setup so I sat low - the woofer was in the exact same place.

So could it be that the vertical lobe was reflecting on the floor or something causing a null? Or is it just the characteristics of these drivers?
Do you have an equalizer? What you are describing could likely be fixed with an EQ.