Why hi-power amp produce clearer sound & more details ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
amplifierguru said:
It just dawned on me..

Could it be that the often higher gain of high power amplifiers results in more power so impresses the listener more? For a fixed input level.

There's a desperate explanation.

Cheers,
greg

the problem is how to interpret someones' experience in listening in such a way we are sure we know what he really meant!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
amplifierguru said:
It just dawned on me..

Could it be that the often higher gain of high power amplifiers results in more power so impresses the listener more? For a fixed input level.

There's a desperate explanation.

Cheers,
greg

Yeah, it's pretty desperate ;) . Its the gain that determines the loudness level at a given input level (assuming same speakers of course). So, same gain, same loudness. What would be different with a high power amp is that it will clip at higher input levels. But, since the question was "at low levels" that doesn't appear to be a point.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
amplifierguru said:
I'll stick with my original theory that it's the better power supply of a larger amp. It's reasonably to expect a designer to allocate sufficient power supply capacitance to keep ripple low (say 1V) at maximum power, so a high power amplifier will have a higher C by 2 or maybe 3 times AND a lower Z transformer (150VA typ 10% regulation, 500VA typ 3%). Given the commutation artefacts
due to class AB - spray of harmonics AND the emphasis of these at 6 dB /octave by the typical declining PSRR of a conventional miller compensated design, I'd say I'm right on target.

See attached typical miller comp PSRR HF emphasis.

Cheers,
Greg

I agree that higher power amps would normally have higher C values. But, how does that jive with all those reports that we are bombarded with, that lower C gives better sound???

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
anatech said:
Hi Greg,
I agree with you that a poor power supply will cripple an otherwise good amp. I view the power supply as a subtractive thing as it's quality goes down.

All things considered equal, just changing the voltage, the layout and amplifier design is more important. Some amplifier designs are just better than others. Some of these are higher power.

-Chris

Amen!

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
tlf9999 said:

quote:
Originally posted by peranders

Kanwar is right sort of but SR is related to output power and is given by:

i agree with peranders here. My explanation is simpler: higher output means higher voltage swings which in turns means higher SR. so a (compotent) high power amp will have higher SR than a low power equivalent, everythign else being equal.

This is simply not true. SR is DEFINED as the rate of change of output voltage per unit of time, like in Volts/uSec. That is determined by the amp topology, the compensation, the used devices etc.

A higher power amp would REQUIRE a higher SR if it has to reproduce 20kHz at full power, and a lower power amp can get away with lower SR to reproduce those 20kHz at lower power. After all, it need to swing less output voltage in the same time (the 20kHz period). BUT, most amps have SR that is waaaay beyond what is required. And also, you can easily have a low power amp with 50V/uS SR, and a high power amp with 20V/uS slew rate.

In fact, because the higher power devices used in a high power amp are generally slower than low power devices, I would EXPECT that a high power amp has LESS slew rate than a low power amp.

You CANNOT say that a high power amp by definition has higher SR, because it is not true.

Of course, you can say a COMPETENTLY designed high power amp has higher SR. That is technically true, but it ONLY means that it has the SR to give undistorted output at full power. But that low power amp also gives undistorted with its lower SR. So, the sound would not be different because of the different SR.

It all says one thing: saying that a high power amp sounds better because of higher SR is nonsense.

Jan Didden

As I said -

"I'll stick with my original theory that it's the better power supply of a larger amp. It's reasonably to expect a designer to allocate sufficient power supply capacitance to keep ripple low (say 1V) at maximum power, so a high power amplifier will have a higher C by 2 or maybe 3 times AND a lower Z transformer (150VA typ 10% regulation, 500VA typ 3%). Given the commutation artefacts
due to class AB - spray of harmonics AND the emphasis of these at 6 dB /octave by the typical declining PSRR of a conventional miller compensated design, I'd say I'm right on target."

If that wasn't topology related I don't know how to say it in words of one syllable.

R.I.P.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Greg,
Soooo, if we take an iffy amp and put a really good power supply on it, it will sound great? I have some Nikko's to improve!

I'm not trying to be silly, but I think I'm missing your point entirely. My belief is that you can destroy a good amp with a bad power supply, not the reverse.

-Chris

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
amplifierguru said:
Hi jannerman,

Yes I said it was desperate - because I was assuming a very naive listener would use a fixed input level not knowing the higher gain of the big amp - and being impressed!

By the extra power.

Cheers,
Greg:D

Quite right. The original poster is conspicuously absent, as has been noted. He must be leaning back enjoying the show. :D

Jan Didden

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The interesting thing is that people come up with complete bonkers explanations in their eagerness to give an explanation. Engaging the keyboard before the brains.

That can be said of any thread. Joke or not, it looks like an honest question from a lay person. There are some unbelievable things posted here, and they are fun to watch.

Okay, where is nina? It's been about 3 days.

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
janneman said:
This is simply not true. SR is DEFINED as the rate of change of output voltage per unit of time, like in Volts/uSec.

so to output more power, don't need to output more voltage (higher voltage swing). Doesn't that give higher SR in a given period of time?

janneman said:
Of course, you can say a COMPETENTLY designed high power amp has higher SR.

if we aren't considering competently designed amps, we will run into tons of weird possibilities then the whole discussion is meaningless.

janneman said:
That is technically true, but it ONLY means that it has the SR to give undistorted output at full power. But that low power amp also gives undistorted with its lower SR.

the lower powered amp will do so only at lower output levels. In otherwords, at the same output levels, the higher powered amp is capable of following faster signals -> better bandwidth if you will.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
anatech said:
Soooo, if we take an iffy amp and put a really good power supply on it, it will sound great?

Not necessarily great, but better. We did a fair amount of that with NAD 3020s & Haflers back in the day when they were new.

In modern day, the chip-amp is a good example. Bigger, better regulated trafos, better rectifier diodes, higher quality smoothing caps, & regulation all make a big difference in amp quality.

dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
Just making a point. See my earlier posts on the subject.

Hi Greg,
I agree with you that a poor power supply will cripple an otherwise good amp. I view the power supply as a subtractive thing as it's quality goes down.

All things considered equal, just changing the voltage, the layout and amplifier design is more important. Some amplifier designs are just better than others. Some of these are higher power.

-Chris

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.