Why hi-power amp produce clearer sound & more details ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Workhorse said:
Since the Voltage rails of the high power amp are at much higher potential therefore it directly effects the SlewRate of high power amp...because SR increase with an increase in supply rail voltage...hence the sound "MAYBE" more clearer than with amp having low supply voltage rails....

K a n w a r

Sorry Kanwar, but SR has NOTHING to do with supply levels. SR has to do with the change of output level in volts per microsecond, and is a function of the used devices, topology, compensation and a lot of other interrelated issues.

A +/- 20V amp can have a SR of 50V/uS and a +/- 100V amp can have a SR of 10V/uS. Go read your books.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
sam9 said:
I vote for less prone to clipping as the biggest factor. If the listening level stays below clipping the only reason I can think of for a qualitative difference (other than placebo) is that since you can sell a higher wattage amp for more (were are talking SS not tube, I presume) there is greater return to investing in development and design expense.

Dynamic headroom is a relative number saying how much the amp can deliver in peaks above the average output. You can have both high and low power amps with the same headroom.
Higher power amps can handle bigger signal levels of course, but the original question states "low listening levels" so that would take this particular advantage away from the high power amp.

This can only be answered if you know the speaker efficiency, listening levels, biasing of the two amps (A, AB, B) etc. I can probably come up with two amps and a speaker that proves just the opposite.

Jan Didden

janneman said:
Sorry Kanwar, but SR has NOTHING to do with supply levels. SR has to do with the change of output level in volts per microsecond, and is a function of the used devices, topology, compensation and a lot of other interrelated issues.

A +/- 20V amp can have a SR of 50V/uS and a +/- 100V amp can have a SR of 10V/uS. Go read your books.
Kanwar is right sort of but SR is related to output power and is given by:

Which bandwidth and which power, so if you know the desired max power and specified load and also wanted bandwidth you also know the required SR but SR is neither a separate thing nor a quality mark as you want to emphasize, Kanwar.:att'n:

I'll stick with my original theory that it's the better power supply of a larger amp. It's reasonably to expect a designer to allocate sufficient power supply capacitance to keep ripple low (say 1V) at maximum power, so a high power amplifier will have a higher C by 2 or maybe 3 times AND a lower Z transformer (150VA typ 10% regulation, 500VA typ 3%). Given the commutation artefacts
due to class AB - spray of harmonics AND the emphasis of these at 6 dB /octave by the typical declining PSRR of a conventional miller compensated design, I'd say I'm right on target.

See attached typical miller comp PSRR HF emphasis.

Cheers,
Greg

Attachments

• conventional psr.png
    conventional psr.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 157
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
amplifierguru said:
I'll stick with my original theory that it's the better power supply of a larger amp.

Big amp does not imply a better power supply.

Big has nothing to do with quality. It is certainly easier to build a better supply for a low power amp than for a big amp. A LCRC (all Cs poly) power supply in a 5 W amp is (likely) better than any caps only power supply regardless of amp size (or cost). And within its power limitations is a fantastic amp.

dave

planet10 said:

Big has nothing to do with quality. It is certainly easier to build a better supply for a low power amp than for a big amp.

You cherry picked - I explained why! Again - It's reasonably to expect a designer to allocate sufficient power supply capacitance to keep ripple low (say 1V) at maximum power, so a high power amplifier will have a higher C by 2 or maybe 3 times AND a lower Z transformer (150VA typ 10% regulation, 500VA typ 3%).

The miller comp lets through this, going up at 6dB/octave -

Attachments

• 5wsupplyhash.png
    5wsupplyhash.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 134
I agree that in some cases it's very noticeable when an amp is not driving a pair of speakers properly, and that is evident even at low listening levels.
Untight bass is there.
But in my oppinion (and in my experience) it is not directly related to the power of the amp.
Several things may make an amp become unstable, and a weak PSU doesn't help either.
Complex crossovers, very capacitive cables, etc. can make even a high power amplifier to sound like a mad cow.

:D

In the end, it's all a matter of sinergy, but even then, some low(er) power amps can drive some difficult speakers beyond believe, while others just throw away the towel.

Hi Dave,

are you aware that this: (with emphaze on the underlined in the quoted text)

planet10 said:

Unless you are using tube rectifiers or Schottky diodes the reverse spike in the rectifier diodes produces RF (with a cap input filter, choke input won't suffer from this).

...and this...

planet10 said:

The more C, the shorter the charge time, the bigger the spike. Exotic diodes & snubbers can help but won't get rid of it.

The shorter charge time also stresses the trafo more...

dave

...is not the same thing?
Appologize me if there's some misunderstandings, but it seems to me to be two diffrent issues you are mixing up here.

Cheers Michael

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Greg,
I agree with you that a poor power supply will cripple an otherwise good amp. I view the power supply as a subtractive thing as it's quality goes down.

All things considered equal, just changing the voltage, the layout and amplifier design is more important. Some amplifier designs are just better than others. Some of these are higher power.

-Chris

well
just thinking of the thread starter.
He (she?) hasn't taken part in this discussion from the very beginning.
Also I am a bit suspicious about the topic, actually opposite to this hypothesis is believed, most like low power amps for better and clearer sound.
Isn't it a kind of provocation?
Or test thread to tell wisemen from wiseguys?
Looks like searching for proofs to prove wrong theory....
just thoughts

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
peranders said:

Kanwar is right sort of but SR is related to output power and is given by:

i agree with peranders here. My explanation is simpler: higher output means higher voltage swings which in turns means higher SR. so a (compotent) high power amp will have higher SR than a low power equivalent, everythign else being equal.

amplifierguru said:
I'll stick with my original theory that it's the better power supply of a larger amp.

that is true in general but as we are talking about sound quality at low output levels I doubt power supplies make that big of a difference.

planet10 said:

a big amp is likely to have beefier power supply as it needs to have the capability to deliver more to the load. "Better" or not is subjective. But i would say that statistically bigger amps have beefier and more capable power supplies.

darkfenriz said:
well
just thinking of the thread starter.
He (she?) hasn't taken part in this discussion from the very beginning.
Also I am a bit suspicious about the topic, actually opposite to this hypothesis is believed, most like low power amps for better and clearer sound.
Isn't it a kind of provocation?
Or test thread to tell wisemen from wiseguys?
Looks like searching for proofs to prove wrong theory....
just thoughts

I agree with you

Probably it will be better to start voting, not the discussion about this question.

Best regards,

-boggy

planet10 said:

But aren't they related?

dave

Hi Dave,

the first issue, the reverse spike thing occurs only during the stage when the voltage over the diode is altering, eg. going below Vf.
The diode take some time to stop conduct in the reverse direction when the voltage is altering over the diode, but with rectified 50/60 Hz this is a none issue when considering a fast diode Trr can be around 20nS or so, during this tiny time the 50/60 Hz sine voltage doesn't change much at all, especially near the peak sine voltage where the reversing is mostly occuring. The event is so slow so there's not much RF energy occuring here.
A small note on snubbers, the above explained effect is where to use the snubber for.

In SMPS it's MUCH more important with low Trr time of the diode because there's slew rates of the switched voltage up to severeal thousands of volts per uS, this is what really causes RF enrgy even up to GHz regions.

The other issue when we talk about the peak current when charging cap's occurs only in the forward conduction mode of the diode and has nothing to do really with the reverse current spike due to Trr of the diode, they are quite different things. Under the forward conduction mode the current peak occuring is quite a slow event too, as the change is quite slow due to the very low mains frequency it's in order of mS(compared to Trr in nS), however harmonics can occur but is certainly not in the RF region but rather more in the audio region I would say, but nevertheless can be of course harmfull.

Hope this explains.

Cheers Michael :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tlf9999 said:
a big amp is likely to have beefier power supply as it needs to have the capability to deliver more to the load. "Better" or not is subjective. But i would say that statistically bigger amps have beefier and more capable power supplies.

Maybe in commercial-ampLand, but i'd say there is no correlation in diy-ampLand (which is where i assume we are)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.