Why hi-end speakers are so expensive? Only Bill Gate$ has hi-end at home?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you did the Toronto shows I saw your work.

I wasn't on tour with them, I worked for the company that built the stage set and hired U2 the lighting rig.
But if you saw the tour anywhere in the world you will have seen my work.
My ex-brother-in-law did the tour though. I think he was in charge of the dimmer racks.
The people who supplied the PA for Europe rented part of our premises of us and we shared a woodwork shop.

Touring pretty much sucks unless you're the artist or a rigger.

Hope you liked the show though!

Another true anecdote closer to the topic at hand:

When Sony built the Sony Center in Berlin a close friend of an old classmate applied for a job as a technician. Sony refused because he wasn't good enough, he then applied for an almost identical job with Burmester (high end audio manufacturer) and got it immediately.

seriously underdeveloped

Sigh, so true.
If you're lucky, a Sonos distributed system with POS arrays in vinyl-foam ceilings.
Satellite sport-tv junkies install a million dollar up on a Kaleidescape & Crestron Adagio A/V pile, with wall-mounted control panels....and junk speakers.

The real biggies have it, but with enough space to include a cinema hall for 12-up, hardly surprising.

Burmester started up a 'division' for yacht audio, but it has't been a huge success, also due to some lack of boat-specific expertise/creative thinking.
Stuffing some chromed & engraved components in a 19' computer rack isn't exactly what I'd call Savoir of the clientèle af-Fair(e).

On the other hand, most superyacht owners are B&O types at best, and charter out their big willy to reduce the annual admission fee.
Yearly running cost is ~10 percent of the value, and a superyacht writes off half it's 'retail' cost in 10 years time.
(provided the owner has good karma :clown: )
Quite a large portion is also the type to feel an itch within a couple of years, to move up a dick-size.

Resell value of a highly customised yacht is a nightmare, merely an odd color scheme can drop price in half.
For an example : Quinta Essentia yacht for sale. Full details and pictures - Boat International (beyond 50m loa, cost is well over €1m a meter)

On a pocket-size yacht, lack of space is an important limiting factor.
And again, those owners rather have cabins for 12 than an extra yard to wiggle their ***.
A full-size piano scores higher on the list, entertaining business guests is better done with a Manilow impersonator & lobster than Barry on CD & spam on toast.

Attachments

• Man Cave.jpg
    Man Cave.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 847
Microsofts co-founder Paul Allen has a number of boats and each contains a top-notch recording studio. He is also maintaing a band to play with when he feels like it and has a large collection of guitars used by Jimi Hendryx.

I know one of his boats sits in the San Francisco Bay as I see it when I travel into the city. The sucker is bigger than my house, and my house is not small by anyones imagination.

It's Mr Allen's smallest, 200ft, and on it's way to South America as of yesterday (*).
His other two biggies (300ft and +400ft) are currently in Australia and the south of France.

(* built overhere, son of the yard's owner and current technical director is an old classmate, 2nd on the right : http://www.charterworld.com/news/wp...he-Feadship-De-Vries-Directors-on-the-job.jpg)

If you look out of your window, you may see this one (also 200ft), owned by Mr Google since last year.
(anchored at Curacao in the picture, at my favorite bay to hang out)
=>

Attachments

• Schweers 99.jpg
    Schweers 99.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 764
Why are they so expensive? The combination of interest in building something so special along with the talents to do so are rare.

DIY speakers can be better than "hi-end" commercial offerings. The Wilson Audio Maxx has flaws which have been identified. Though there are some speakers with technology which isn't available to diyers, even this of itself doesn't mean they are "best".

Then, there are the personal tastes of the listener, which certainly factors into determining "best".

I don't buy it.

How to make a solid non-resonant and non-vibrating cabinet is easy to learn. The physics of speakers are 50+ years old. Theile/Small was established method long before the 1970's.

People who buy $20K speakers are purely and simply prideful.

This is an issue that I still not understand, the high-end brands, a friend of mine have a pair of Wilson 100K speakers with a tube AR 50K amps, VTL 20K preamp, Dcs DAC and so on and still sounds like crap.
The most impressive is the speaker cable that costs some 15k and have a black box in the middle section with a lot of passive components, I thought cables were to only transmit a signal, not to correct it.
Now I see that the speaker industry has become just a mere commercial thing. Ok, there are exceptions, but just a few...
The old JBL L300 and the B&W 801 Matrix that are out of production are 2 speakers that IMHO do not have competitors nowadays.

If you live here and now, you must be blind not to see the general pattern how a final retail price is reached during steps of production and marketing. I would say the material cost stands for 10% of the retail price, then comes running your company,- salaries, manufacturing costs, taxes, advertising, costs of shows, PR crap (bribing, giving free samples to audio journalists), now we are at 30-40%. then comes the profits of wholesalers, retailers and there you are:- a high-end product with 1000 dollars worth of parts, getting out of the factory for 4-5000, retailing for 10.000. Saying this after working for 10 years for such a company, and knowing exactly how much we were putting into a speaker retailing for 6000 dollars........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.