Why Audiophiles Hate Bose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, they are "lifestyle products" after all. People who buy and like these things are getting their money's worth (sort of). Their marketing formula obviously works well enough and keeps them in business.

Personally, I agree with most of you. They sound really bad and are too expensive. The old 301's are a perfect example of what Bose is all about. The 901's are amazingly terrible sounding speakers, and the EQ box is so cheaply made! It's clear that profit is the one and only thing they are selling.

-Chris

Hehe... I have to agree. This reminds me of back in the ‘70s when my two brothers and I were building our first system. In auditioning speakers, we used a single album... the CSO/Solti recording of Mahler 8. We were in a shop that sold Bose. The salesman recommended the Bose 901s. He proceeded to play the last movement, which starts out quietly enough. We watched him like a hawk as he kept edging over to turn down the volume. At the end, the Bose’s were hopping up and down on their stands and squealing! Needless to say, we didn’t choose them!

Hehe... I have to agree. This reminds me of back in the ‘70s when my two brothers and I were building our first system. In auditioning speakers, we used a single album... the CSO/Solti recording of Mahler 8. We were in a shop that sold Bose. The salesman recommended the Bose 901s. He proceeded to play the last movement, which starts out quietly enough. We watched him like a hawk as he kept edging over to turn down the volume. At the end, the Bose’s were hopping up and down on their stands and squealing! Needless to say, we didn’t choose them!

I think the dynamic range is a good thing in a sound system, and there the speakers have a very important role, after all, high fidelity is not about emulating a real musical reproduction ?

Another thing bose waveradio did was eliminate reflections found in most speaker enclosures by using flexible tubing to construct the waveguide.

For measurements and discussion see Wireless World May 1972 Baily Ph.D. Page 215.
Bose simply applied known improvements within modern audio eqpt.

Last edited:
Let me introduce You to a BOSE bad install..
Cascata Cristalina Eventos

This is a wedding event venue with the worst sound I've ever heard.

It consists of 4* BOSE 502A speakers and 1 BOSE 502B Acoustimax SUB powered by its BOSE processor.
These are the main speakers for the ball intended up to 300 people.
So merely 4*150+400W power.

On the ceiling there are several large 20cm round BOSE 70 V line speakers with 10cm drivers inside. 6 on the ball / dining room and others on acepipe rooms and halls. Even in the WC there is one. Remembers me those old 80's discos.

Needless to say, at the ball when we speak at the mike, the voice comes distorted, and it's not the pre or amps, since they aren't clipping.

In the garden there are BOSE mushroom speakers that we can't hear when the firework starts on the wedding cake ceremony. I use a Yamaha DXR15 solo for the ceremony sound reinforcement.

Summing this all up we get something in the $10K range according to the Bose catalog. And we aren't summing amps yet...

For that price... I could buy many cheap Behringers and they would blow this system away.

For ambience / background music I have no complaints.
During the ball I have to cut bass & treble on the pre-amps in order not to kill people's ears. It's just too harsh.

I didn't hear none of the BOSE pro line gear, but if there are 15sound drivers inside they certainly sound fine, since I own several drivers.

The prices they ask just don't make sense...

I think the dynamic range is a good thing in a sound system, and there the speakers have a very important role, after all, high fidelity is not about emulating a real musical reproduction ?

This was at a volume that we would listen at, so not like they were turned up way too loud or anything. The AMT ESS-1s and the Infinity Monitors (the ones with the Walsh tweeter) handled this just fine. We bought the Infinitys.

This was at a volume that we would listen at, so not like they were turned up way too loud or anything. The AMT ESS-1s and the Infinity Monitors (the ones with the Walsh tweeter) handled this just fine. We bought the Infinitys.

OK, thanks for clarifying.
A detail, perhaps the intention of the seller was not in bad faith, what happens is that you have to match the level of SPL (approximately, by ear) so that the comparison is fair.
When I go from triode mode to pentode in my Prima Luna amplifier, I must do the same to be able to judge the sound difference, and the difference between acoustic cabinets is much greater.
I would also have stayed with the Infinity

Why?
The sound just irritates me. It’s not the cost, or the looks, the specs or even the marketing... I just find the music does not sound natural or real.
They manage to get me out of a coffee shop or restaurant very quickly ;)
There are probably other brands, but this one stands out in a bad way.
I have to admit I mostly listen to jazz or classical music.

I don't "Hate Bose" I just recognize they sold out for corporate W4ore-dome for the almighty $$$$$.

I don't think most DIY'ers "Hate" Bose. They simply don't have much respect as they (DIY'ers) place quality over quantity. Bose places $$$ Over quality of sound reproduction.

Simple.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I don't "Hate Bose" I just recognize they sold out for corporate W4ore-dome for the almighty $$$$$.

I don't think most DIY'ers "Hate" Bose. They simply don't have much respect as they (DIY'ers) place quality over quantity. Bose places $$$ Over quality of sound reproduction.

Simple.

Ya ever see the insides of those bose radios?
I have, serviced enough of them.
Typical made in china guts, nothing special.

Hi,

it had been around when I had finished my studies that Bose Gernany was looking for new staff.
I wasn't too excited but l applied and was invited.
On arrival I noticed dozens of applicants for all kinds of jobs and I felt a bit lost.
Talking to other applicants while waiting I became quite confident because none of the others seemed to have a deeper technical/acoustical background.
Anyway the meeting itself was just 3 Bosos and me.
When they asked me to tell something about me I of course mentioned my expertise and the developments I had already made.
What came next was a big surprise to me .....
"Knowing all that stuff You are spoiled for our purposes!"
Well that was that .... Seen from backside I think I was lucky that day.
If things had gone wrong I could possibly be a Bosidiot today :p

jauu
Calvin

ps. Ages ago a faint aquaintance -a quite well known german developer- had been for a short time with Bose.
He was asked to do a comparison of Bose and B&W.
In his resumee he concluded that B&W were the HiFi company while Bose were the marketing company.
Boy, he was fired faster than ever before and ever after.

Both incidents prooved to me that Bose is not interested in quality HiFi at all ... but just wasting the precious resources of this planet for selling crap at highest price.

@hudelson2: You just hit the point :D. Bose IS böse

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2018
Hi,

it had been around when I had finished my studies that Bose Gernany was looking for new staff.
I wasn't too excited but l applied and was invited.
On arrival I noticed dozens of applicants for all kinds of jobs and I felt a bit lost.
Talking to other applicants while waiting I became quite confident because none of the others seemed to have a deeper technical/acoustical background.
Anyway the meeting itself was just 3 Bosos and me.
When they asked me to tell something about me I of course mentioned my expertise and the developments I had already made.
What came next was a big surprise to me .....
"Knowing all that stuff You are spoiled for our purposes!"
Well that was that .... Seen from backside I think I was lucky that day.
If things had gone wrong I could possibly be a Bosidiot today :p

jauu
Calvin

ps. Ages ago a faint aquaintance -a quite well known german developer- had been for a short time with Bose.
He was asked to do a comparison of Bose and B&W.
In his resumee he concluded that B&W were the HiFi company while Bose were the marketing company.
Boy, he was fired faster than ever before and ever after.

Both incidents prooved to me that Bose is not interested in quality HiFi at all ... but just wasting the precious resources of this planet for selling crap at highest price.

@hudelson2: You just hit the point :D. Bose IS böse

Thanks for pointing out the secret "dirty side" of marketing, a corruption just like anything else, designed with greed in mind.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.