Why Audiophiles Hate Bose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Anatech-- I've still got the Polk Audio RTA-12s I bought in 1980 when I got back to the US. One of those speaker drivers shorted and caused havoc with the Marantz 1200.

That Marantz 1200 is the reason I joined DIY Audio. Bad part about that is I'm still working on that Marantz. I'm nuts about that amplifier. I can remember the guy in the barracks across from me had a Marantz 1200 and me peering inside, not having a clue about how the thing worked. It was magic.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Duke,
Too bad you and I didn't live closer, or at least on the same side of the border. I was authorized Marantz warranty and have worked on many of various models including that one. I still service audio equipment, but there must be someone good closer to you.

Whatcha stuck on?

-Chris

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Hi wiseoldtech,
That's a really nice, clean collection. My wood ones didn't make it through time unscathed. I have a few plastic ones that did.

-Chris

Thanks Chris.
I had a few radios with horrible cases, so I took the chassis from them, did some mods to enhance performance and reliability, and simply (well, not so simply) made new cases for the guts.
It kills time, and keeps me off the streets.....LOL!

A few of my "own build" wood cabinet radios....

Attachments

• RADIOFT.jpg
    RADIOFT.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 118
  • radio_front.jpg
    radio_front.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8176.jpg
    IMG_8176.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 104
  • The Longshore AMFM done.JPG
    The Longshore AMFM done.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Blue Radio.jpg
    Blue Radio.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 105
Account Closed
Joined 2018
Hi wiseoldtech,
I LOVE the one in the third picture! Its beautiful, exactly what I would like.

You have skill and it shows.

-Chris

You mean the stereo model with the wrap-around speaker grills?
It does sound nice, with 4 three inch speakers and two tweeters, in a sealed cabinet (air-suspension style).
30 watt amp driving them too.
and.... flywheel tuning!

Yeah, it was a lot of work.
I use it in the bedroom.

The long stereo model kicks azz too...... ported, 4, five inch speakers - two facing out, 30 watt amp, bass/treble controls, a "black-out" dial - it puts a Bose to shame I was told.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've found out that on those Marantz, the amp board IF it had those yellow jacketed electrolytics on the amp board, they all seemed to go bad.
Lord knows how many of them I tore out of those sets.
Up here they haven't been a problem that I can remember. I test pulled parts to make sure I have solved a problem.

Lovely radio. Yes, I can see it being used in the bedroom.

-Chris

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Wait till you see the next "project" on the drawing board of hell.
A 4 speed record changer (Admiral Ensign) in a pine cabinet (table model), two 5x7 high compliance speakers (20W stereo amp) and they're ported to accent the bass response.
The Admiral I got from Canada a while back - it's branded "Marsland M180) but really an Admiral, and was never used/installed.
The cabinet is going to be an involved job - designing it to isolate the changer from bass/feedback.

Attachments

• marsland02.JPG
    marsland02.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 71
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey, that's pretty clean!

I used to live near (sort of) the Admiral plant and have even been inside once while it was Admiral. Got a sort of tour from an employee. That didn't go over well.

Marsland used to make some lines of really good speakers while owned by Leigh Engineering in Waterloo. I used them a lot and used to sell that line of components. So that turntable has nifty ties. Current Marsland speakers are crappy copies from an originally excellent line sold by McBride Loudspeakers.

-Chris

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Hey, that's pretty clean!

I used to live near (sort of) the Admiral plant and have even been inside once while it was Admiral. Got a sort of tour from an employee. That didn't go over well.

Marsland used to make some lines of really good speakers while owned by Leigh Engineering in Waterloo. I used them a lot and used to sell that line of components. So that turntable has nifty ties. Current Marsland speakers are crappy copies from an originally excellent line sold by McBride Loudspeakers.

-Chris

Chris, do tell about your visit to the Admiral plant - you have my curiosity up now..... LOL.

Here's an unusual product that they made - Admiral "Flight Deck".
Must have taken some pretty good engineering to make that feature work well.
YouTube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.