Why are woofers getting so small?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
One thing that hasn't changed are the laws of pyshics. No how much DSP equalized class D power we put on a small driver with a big voice coil and a long travel surround we will get lots of FM distortion - amost as annoying as the mother in law who thinks you have a geek hobby..........................

Depending on the time frame you're talking about... the Thiel Small stuff came out in the early '70's, right? And then that had to percolate through the industry? I have thought that advancing box modeling has helped bass response, though I wasn't listening to much stereo that far back...
T/S makes the LF alignment fairly easy, even with a pencil and calculator, but is only a very small amount of the overall design.

Who needs a real bass these days if 90 % of population is listening to 60-100 Hz wooomph and considers it "chest poundig" bass ??(the rest lives in the jungle without a grid) Listening to you guys it almost sounds like industry serves you unwanted product or someone else have choosen you high maintenance wifes and GF's. Nope , YOu did it to yourself. Keep marching and "shut your gob" ;)

why are woofers getting smaller?

I'm an old-time HiFi enthusiast, long on the electrical theory, but short on speaker tech. Over the years it seems that woofers have gotten smaller and smaller. Are they really kicking out the bass
because the gullible customers are buying into the advertising and crap that comes out labeled "hifi"
That gear can never meet the true High Fidelity definition that enthusiasts demand.
We will always be outnumbered by those gadget seekers that don't care about quality, particularly of sound quality. Surprisingly video quality does seem to attract concern from customers that actually want to see.

Just my opinion, there is no substitute to radiating area when it comes to bass frequencies. As with all speakers that use 8 inch or smaller drivers
Why is a bass drum bigger than a snare drum?
Why is a bass string longer (and heavier) than other strings?
Why is a bass bigger than a violin?

Because each are designed to do a job, just like speakers that reproduce these frequencies should be designed to do the job.

I think I understood that ;) And on more serious note I think that mainstream music became less demanding. Loudness recording wars and compression of music have killed dynamic challenge, so small speakers are quite sufficient. When you listen to 3" fL based speakers they sound suprisingly big on vendors chosen music material. Than ,you put "four seasons" violin concertos which doesn't even contain any Bass and the whole presentation collapses spectacularly. And I agree that when there is no demand ,supply dimnish. Things have gotten to the point when my nephew prefers the sound of his laptop based plastic speakers and his I-phone over my BIG horns (not that they aren't crap;) I'm pretty sure my system annoys him as he is not used to that sound and tunned for different music.
Last year I went to visit my friends and they knowing that I'm "into speakers" wanted to make me a gift of 15" + horn -Magnavox drivers from 60's console which they found free on the curb. I said ,(looking at their "white van" towers with many shiny drivers ) that they need them more than I do and simply put those woofers on the floor front facing, with tweeters above on shelf , no crossover just a cap on horn and hooked it up instead the towers .You should see that guy face. He eventualy built JE labs open baffles for the set and called me this year to say "You know those baffles are huge and my wife is not thrilled but I tried to bring some speakers from best buy up to $600-800 and even she said -nope"

what is the comment?
"story" as in fiction, Pano does not believe it.
or
"story" as in relevant anecdote that illustrates the problem we have since HiFi was hi-jacked to hifi by the mass production companies that only care about profit and not customer satisfaction.

Customers "are" satisified . It was "them" after all, who wanted cheaper, smaller and high WAF products.There is no conspiracy. (Speakers from the past which we may find on the curb and they perform were likely quite expensive to extremely expensive way back then). It may be that they are not aware of what did they lose with all of that scalling down like they already forgotten the taste of a real food. There is just too many mouth to feed and apartments to furnish with speakers. It's all good (in a virtual way).

Hi,
are customers satisfied?
By throw away gadgets that can't be repaired economically?
By misleading advertising using any "new" feature to "sell" the product even when the new is worse than the old from 6months ago?
How many of us would be Members of this Forum if we could buy good quality product at prices we consider good value for the quality of sound reproduction we expect?

I have many bits of commercial gear, some cheap and some expensive. The only bits not thrown away are the expensive. The cheap were not worth buying. That's part of the reason I am here and why I consider much of the retail side of audio to be targeted at the unthinking casual buyer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.