Why are OMNI speakers not more popular?

In that sort of configuration treble sounds bright (depending on the axis you listen to) with overpowering bass. Generally statements that are "at odds" with each other, but the treble get's subjectively emphasized where it becomes directional and you listen to that direction. Of course the total output of the omni bass section is louder than the directional treble.

If we consider how we hear, then optimally there should be a greater emphasis (spl) at 90 degrees horizontally left of left, and 90 degrees horizontally right of right. This sort of configuration provides:

1. Decreased interaural cross correlation (..or better apparent separation between channels), and
2. Effective compensation for an axis where we don't hear as well (i.e. anything past about 60 degrees horizontally is more difficult to hear).

To some extent omni/radials improve both aspects over a conventional design.

While they don't *compensate* for the 90 degree axis-range, they are at least providing it at higher freq.s where we are more sensitive to spl changes. More common designs become increasingly directional at higher freq.s and simply loose pressure off-axis providing a "forward" +/-45 degree emphasis (in the range where we are most acutely aware). The down-side here is that the output left of right (which radiates to the far wall or contralateral wall) is ALSO being provided and this *increases* interaural cross correlation. (..this does however have the benefit of creating a more stable image for listener's off-axis). On the other hand..

As mentioned previously, the total apparent spl of the near wall reflections tends to make the speaker closer to that wall sound louder, and more specifically louder at that off-axis angle. For a radial/omni the loudest grouping is the closest which is in the 90 degree range. So to some extent interaural cross correlation is improved.

Again though, a far better result would be obtained with a cardioid pattern with the dominate spl aimed at the nearest side-wall. i.e. left speaker aimed at left wall, right speaker aimed at right wall, increasing pressure loss as you move toward center. This would be lousy though for anyone sitting off-axis. It could also be improved by moving the loudspeakers closer together and listening closer to the loudspeakers.
What if we made that same speaker use a bipolar tweeter? Up until 4-5 kHz, where the tweeter starts to beam, we would have a constant power response which would gradually droop.

I'm still digesting the other stuff you wrote.

An actual bipole pattern is not easy to achieve - for any given freq.. (..despite the use of the term "bipole" in many designs).

Hmm.. perhaps a NXT-like driver in place of the Pluto's tweeter? Depending the the dimensions of the driver you should be able to go full bipole up beyond 10 kHz, though it might still require a bit of absorption at the sides of the panel to get the pattern right - assuming you wanted to.

You could always keep the tweeter omni on it's low end and then add-in a driver at much higher freq.s with a steep high-pass for the rear driver. It won't really be a "bipole", but it may improve the overall presentation compared to the Pluto as it currently is.

..probably a few other solutions as well including waveguides.

This night I tried a flooder. Just very simpel - a 2 way monitor on the floor (stereopair).
It was obvious that the sound was way more uniform anywhere in the room. Just don't listen down in the speaker (facing your head directly above the monitors), since this is the only position where the sound alters dramatically.

This simpel test definatlly convinced me, that this is something worth trying out in a more serious setup. I still need to make a prototype.

friday.gif

An actual bipole pattern is not easy to achieve - for any given freq.. (..despite the use of the term "bipole" in many designs).

Hmm.. perhaps a NXT-like driver in place of the Pluto's tweeter? Depending the the dimensions of the driver you should be able to go full bipole up beyond 10 kHz, though it might still require a bit of absorption at the sides of the panel to get the pattern right - assuming you wanted to.

You could always keep the tweeter omni on it's low end and then add-in a driver at much higher freq.s with a steep high-pass for the rear driver. It won't really be a "bipole", but it may improve the overall presentation compared to the Pluto as it currently is.

..probably a few other solutions as well including waveguides.
Tweeter unit would definitely need to be omni at the low end, and I think with a shelving filter on the rear tweeter so that higher frequencies are attenuated slightly...

Going from omni to half-space reduces power response by 6 dB assuming flat on-axis response. Adding a rear tweeter at the same level keeps the power response almost constant, neglecting the droop due to beaming, and below the half-space transition boosts low-end output and sensitivity which of course can be EQ'd out. Only problem is, I hear that this makes the system sound rather bright so the rear tweet might need to be a little attenuated.

Generally speaking, if two drivers are spaced such that the centers are within 1/2 wavelength (some might even say 1 whole wavelength), lobing is not a problem, right?

At less than 1/4 wavelength distance 2 drivers are said to sum together as a point source. Greater lengths will result in lobing. Since usually drivers are arranged vertically and our perception is less sensitive on that axis, some lobing is tolerable (1/2-1 wavelength)

Xdir is a free program that simulates driver lobing.

Last edited:
At less than 1/4 wavelength distance 2 drivers are said to sum together as a point source. Greater lengths will result in lobing. Since usually drivers are arranged vertically and our perception is less sensitive on that axis, some lobing is tolerable (1/2-1 wavelength)

Xdir is a free program that simulates driver lobing.

The program is designed for an array on an infinite baffle, and doesn't include the problems with diffraction. The Edge does, but isn't designed for "back-to-back" driver modeling (though neither is Xdir).

Last edited:
..lobing is not a problem, right?

In combination with diffraction it hasn't been my experience. On the other hand if you were just using the rear tweeter below any diffraction signature with a very steep low-pass filter then it shouldn't be a problem. That's not terribly useful for a tweeter though.. *or* perhaps I should say it's not very useful for a tweeter's standard bandwidth.

Back-to-Back in-phase might be useful for a line of tweeters used (with close spacing and a minimal baffle) - as a mid. :eek: :)

None of this would be bipole however - rather the target would be "omni".

Nope. If there's lobing, then it'll get absorbed preferentially. If there isn't lobing, then it doesn't matter if the lossy material is there or not.

Nope to what?

Do you know of material that will absorb the bandwidth you require - significantly, in the manner you require?

Again, try it and see for yourself. In my experience if it extends higher in freq. there is lobing. Of course I've never used a really steep low pass on the rear driver - because it defeats the purpose I was intending.

I think its ok to place tweeter and mid/woofer side by side
usually we wouldn't dream of doing that

but being OMNI and flooder seems to be different

yeah, it seems to be different in many regards
another mystery as put by Elias is that:

On the other hand, in my experience with 'flooder' and the stereolith style sound projectors, the direct sound has no meaning. It's strange but that's how it seems to be.

time alignment is not important, direct sound is not important, and so on

really must be shocking to many