why are old school amps worth so much?

Man, Today i was working on a newer 2008 or 2009 kicker amplifier.......wow! I must say this was the biggest POS amp i've ever worked on! I'm used to the older amplifiers circuit board layouts. This one looked so cheap and disposable, like if it shorts out just toss it to the garbage. When i look at other older 100 watt amps guts they look more beefed out and don't have that nasty smell to them like this newer amp i was working on. It was just a piece of junk i got it for nothing really. I will admit i'll never buy one of these amps ever again!

Someone PLEASE talk some sense into this seller: PPI AX400 CAR AMPLIFIER - eBay (item 200613967549 end time Jun-05-11 12:19:00 PDT) He's blatantly overinflating this amp's output to impress people. I've sent him two messages to try and let him know but he even replied with bigger claims. I informed him of the factory specs (yes true specs are a little more) but he replied with "Yes, those are the factory specs. True rms is alot more, closer to 200 watts per channel @ 2 ohm and running 14 volts."

I explained it has four to220 outputs per channel and the fuse size, blah blah blah so lets see his next reply.

Last edited:
This guy seems kinda fishy, I looked at the auction posted above and thought to myself hmmm....self "yes" is this guy serious? "No he's not". He say he's bringing old school back and that this is a passion for him not money driven "yada yada yada". He has other items on ebya for sale. And in the pursuit of bringing back "old school" he gives up repair on an Orion 250g4 and wants to sell it as-is broken. Personally I think the Orion is more of a testament of "old school era" amplifier than the refined but common class ab PPI amplifier.
Nice try but it looks he's into it for the money, I don't have a problem that just don't pretend to be something your not.
True knowledge, priceless! for everything else there's ebay...
Just my change from the gas station, 2 cents

I know this thread started back in 09 which is pretty crazy :). I am a new member and Im here with the Y r old school amps so much? well lets say I got two great condition precision power a1200.2 amps. Art series. few scratchs so yes they've been used. i heard powered 4/6 15s in a old school for ranger hit huge so guessing 2 15s / amp? well my buddy is trying to figure out a price for them and I am going to get them both tested tomorrow. let me know guys what u think. im guessing 4-500 ea. they r 14 lbs ea. and almost 2.5 ft long LOL

I know this thread started back in 09 which is pretty crazy :). I am a new member and Im here with the Y r old school amps so much? well lets say I got two great condition precision power a1200.2 amps. Art series. few scratchs so yes they've been used. i heard powered 4/6 15s in a old school for ranger hit huge so guessing 2 15s / amp? well my buddy is trying to figure out a price for them and I am going to get them both tested tomorrow. let me know guys what u think. im guessing 4-500 ea. they r 14 lbs ea. and almost 2.5 ft long LOL
Thats about what they go for, 600 in mint condition.

okay thx. i'll make sure they work and go from there. I would love one of these art series in a 05 plus bmw convertible that im gonna get in the spring time they be pretty sweet if it was blue :) but thx for the info. least I got the real deal here.
No problem. I have a friend with four of them. He'll never sell them because companies (in korea and china) don't build them like this anymore there very well built.

He doesn't have them connected to anything, they were running 12 - 12" JL audio W6's in a tahoe. He also has 4 GTI6000's and several other amps. He's just a collector. I wouldn't take them to a newbie shop at all. When you say take them to a shop do you mean to be installed by that shop? If so then I would only go to a well known shop. Where are you located?

well i gotta get them tested to make sure all is working order :) then I think I may toss my buddy like 500 cash for both he's not picky about money and doesn't need it he hasen't even used them and had them for 10 years. I love collecting amps and such myself.

Im located in vernon, bc canada :) I work up north so this is my down time. I have a pretty basic system set up in my 2010 kia soul it pounds for what it is I think. I got 1 15" power plant ( older model ) 1200 watts rms , a fusion 2000 watt peak amp so probaly guessing 1200 watts rms, a 2.4 faret cap, voltage says 13.9 when on :), 4 guage wire, and a 3 cub side bar ported bassworx premade box. not bad for a cheapie :)

..thinking back to about 1986..the best system I ever had..a pair of M&M Godfather 15's behind the seat with a Zapco 220 bridged to each and a Punch 75 cranking on some Boston 6x9's in the doors...in a '79 Chevy 3/4 ton 454 with chrome wagon wheels and '33's rollin out back

Godfather 15"s FTW! Man its been a long time since I've heard anyone talk about Godfather subs. Back in high school one of my friends had four Godfather 15"s stuffed into a Ford EXP hatchback. He powered them with the biggest Orion HCCA amp they had out at the time - can't remember the model number. That thing was stupid loud. He could drive anybody out of the car with that stereo. Good times.