why are old school amps worth so much?

So why are they worth so much money? I've been watching the Bay for awhile and I've seen broken old school Rockford amps (punch 800, punch 100 dsm, etc) go for quite alot and. Like is it the season for them to go for lots$? Not only punch but other brands of school amplifiers that I've been seeing lately go for bank! Yes broken too! I'm amazed about that. Just not long ago the prices weren't as high as now. What's the deal about that? :eek:

to me it seems that the now aday generation, Wants everything, but doesnt want to put out much effort to attain it.

If your friend went to car toys and got a 1500 dollar system. How are you gonna one up him? Three subs instead of his two, 4 amps instead of three?

Also there seems to be this silly notion that Rockford Fosgate, and a couple other amp makers sold out, and everything that they make now is pure garbage and wont come close to the stuff they made ten years ago.

Personally I am thinking that the ratings back in the old days were conservative, and even if the amp was 1ohm stable, they didnt need to advertise that. i Now there trying to advertise everything they can to build value in the product. Peak this, gold plated connectors, blah blah blah.

Lastly, The car stereo shop down the street had a stack of rockford punch 2002 era amps. He told me he would rather get them fixed and sell them for 2-300 dollars, then sell them off "as is" on ebay for 50 to 150 dollars a piece.

Last edited:
to me it seems that the now aday generation, Wants everything, but doesnt want to put out much effort to attain it.

If your friend went to car toys and got a 1500 dollar system. How are you gonna one up him? Three subs instead of his two, 4 amps instead of three?

Also there seems to be this silly notion that Rockford Fosgate, and a couple other amp makers sold out, and everything that they make now is pure garbage and wont come close to the stuff they made ten years ago.

Personally I am thinking that the ratings back in the old days were conservative, and even if the amp was 1ohm stable, they didnt need to advertise that. i Now there trying to advertise everything they can to build value in the product. Peak this, gold plated connectors, blah blah blah.

Lastly, The car stereo shop down the street had a stack of rockford punch 2002 era amps. He told me he would rather get them fixed and sell them for 2-300 dollars, then sell them off "as is" on ebay for 50 to 150 dollars a piece.

That's what I'm talking about! But sometimes it's what people are willing to pay for them, now it seems I can't find a Punch 40 it any other older Rockford amp for a decent price with out having someone out bid me! And it happens all the time lol. I've been to a few car stereo shops and seen they had a few older rockford amps sitting there covered in dust and I asked about them and the guy said he's going to fix those so I'm like damn everyone really ways these things, don't they? I own two Rockford amps and I can see why everyones paying top dollar for them :rolleyes:

Its all about the people that had them new, now they have money and they buy them up. I don't see it either. I like some old amps, like to try some others see how they sound. There seems to be a difference in how old amps sound compared to new ones, for example many of the old RF amps had an EQ built into them. That said the 'sound' of an amp is pretty minimal change to a system and everyone has an EQ now they didn't back in the day. I am interested in how it clips because I don't run huge amps like many today, it keeps me out of trouble lol. Most new amps suck in clipping that I have tried, while old amps can be better. It could be from weaker power supplies in old amps I don't really know. Don't you wish you had a pile of them to sell? Lol! I did buy a HK CA260 for 85 one day after about 2yr of looking. Some went for 200. Its just a 2x60 holy cow, but thats the market for you. Just keep looking and one day you will be on there and the collectors will not, hopefully. Of course lots of people buy them just to flip.

I did buy a HK CA260 for 85 one day after about 2yr of looking. Some went for 200. Its just a 2x60 holy cow, but thats the market for you.

Have you tried it out yet?

Just not long ago the prices weren't as high as now. What's the deal about that? :eek:

Tax return season. Happens every year! Generally, near Christmas is a great time to buy...

Have you tried it out yet?
I ran it on the bench and it seemed fine, but not in a car yet. Have a broken one too that had a problem in the PS, Perry helped me figured it was bad caps and it got put on a shelf by the time parts arrived. Bunch of ICs in the PS its different than most amps or seemed like it at the time. Have to dust that one off and finish it then I'll run the pair on highs. Also have a 240 I fixed. Everyone says they were great amps but I never heard one, wanted to try them because I have a 1980s HK home amp that I really like. Last summer I built my amp rack and 4" high to fit those hogs, finally I can try them in there. They are the tallest amps I have.

You really should try them on the other end, too!!!

I've been told that, I could bridge one on each 15 that would likely be enough power. Just seems like any amp can run subs so I use class D for that. Also have one of those Concord 300rms amps, like the HK TC series. One channel has voltage coming to the driver but it does run, yeah its also on a shelf lol I don't get that much time to work on them lately. I sold the LP 1002s I had they didn't seem to make much power at 4 ohms (by ear on bench), but I still have them want to test on a load and see what they are making.

Can't let this thread die can we, its spring season for audio equipment! I see some amazing non-deals what is up with that, lots of them. 180660446655 Wow, gold plated.

Not much around in way of old school amps, at least at normal pricing. Ebay seems to be having a hard time in this economy everything is buy now and everyone complaining about non-payers.

Of course not....been following this thread for years...lol.

Yeah, I been forced to sell some amps, so far so good. But some past experience has me very weary of selling on Ebay or online in general. Do seem to get the best prices, but after ebay and paypal take their cut(around 15% I think), sometimes I feel better off keeping the amps....

I sold a few newer amps, one reversed and I sent tracking in and got paid. Have some more to dump. I guess its ok there is not much on there I don't need more old amps right now still have to try what I have. Busy spring can't keep up and weather is cool. I'm waiting for amazon to drop the price again on some drivers I want. Now I was just given a bunch of broken amps to look at like I need that lol.

Anyone recall Toshiba amps? Guy just gave me a TP-853 4ch. It has a switch for 2/3/4 way and two gains (that is all), really looks similar to an old 35xx alpine inside. All it says is peak power 2x150 and 4x75, all SK transistors a pair per channel even the PS is 2 pair TO-247. 30A fuse. Been sitting a while don't know if it works, screws all gone, dusty. It has those same NEC 1270 driving the outputs alpine liked, but 75 peak might be 35rms or something, like an alpine 3527. Says built in Korea.

What about the amps Panasonic made in the 90's? (Not really "old school" I guess) We sold (tried to sell) them at a small stereo shop I worked in back then. Never got to hear one and the owners took everything when they shut down and disappeared. The amp looked well designed from the outside but I never had the chance to open one up.

So why are they worth so much money? Just not long ago the prices weren't as high as now. What's the deal about that? :eek:

Behold the invisible hand of Adam Smith. There are fewer vintage amps now and more buyers for them so that supply & demand sets the price. Just about any quality classic hi-fi piece, car and home, has escalated in price or value or both. The distinction begins to blur.

There is nostalgia, a desire to not take the same path as everyone else, wanting something made in the USA, Japan, Canada, and so on vs. China Inc.; perhaps all these reasons at once? It is no different for muscle & classic cars. The modern equivalent works just as well, arguably better, but there is no substitution for the original from the passion standpoint.

I say this smugly sitting on a pile of PPi Arts, original ADS, and a few STEGs & Orions as well. All of the above reasons for ownership apply to me, in spades.

;)

The market is right, last fall I missed an auction on a 1501 LP not a great amp really. But I wanted the plug off it for another LP. It went for around 75. Now and last month or so one is on there for 150 BIN, though it may be the same one and not selling all this time. The prices this time of year are usually higher as its spring here. You really have to shop you can pick them up cheaper at other times. IMO many of them are not worth the prices you see, but some rich people buy them and so then they are worth that much. I just bought a refurb class D 4x125 for just over hundred online, why buy some old amp with less power/channels for 2-3X that. But, I'll try it and see how it works. Never know I might end up with my old HK or alpine amps in there anyway.

Wow I have to say this is a great form. I love OS us amps, fosgate's, LP's, Mmats, ect. I'm repairing a US Amps 100HC right now :-/ guy ran it at 1/2 ohm bridged with single batt. and burnt the output FET's. Can't fix stupid, lol. I've had my share of OS equipment but HOLLY HELL!!!! After seeing some of the collections I've seen on here I wish I had it lol. Have to keep this going wow