Why am I picking up so much noise on my scope?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probe B (on the same channel)

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 146
peranders said:
1 set the scope in GND mode - noise hum?

2 Short the input like SY has done - hum

3 Connect the probe and set it in GND if the probe has that switch - hum

4 Take a wire and short the probe tip - hum

5 Switch off your lamps and other stuff (PC's etc) - hum

Do you get my idea? You must rule out things

1: done, no hum

2: done, no hum

3: no GND switch on the probe

4: look at posts 11 and 12

5: the scope in in the same room as a computer, the room aside is the kitchen with the frige running. I'll try to switch them off later in the afternoon. I have to go now.

Interesting difference between the two probes, Bricolo. Do both probes look OK on a calibration signal ? Seems to be something strange about your probes ...

By comparison I see more noise on my analogue scope, but only on a 10uV or 20uV / div setting !!

DRC said:
Interesting difference between the two probes, Bricolo. Do both probes look OK on a calibration signal ? Seems to be something strange about your probes ...

By comparison I see more noise on my analogue scope, but only on a 10uV or 20uV / div setting !!

Calibration signal is ok (no ringing or damping) on the 2 probes, even if there's some small HF on it

I just checked with grounded probes on my 25+ year old 15MHz
Iwatsu scope. With 1x probe I get approx 200uV pp noise and
with 10x probe I get 2mV pp. That is I get the same scale
reading in both cases, so it is clearly the internal noise floor
of my scope. Maybe you have a noisier environment?

Hmmmmm...

Here is my TEK 465B with a 10X probe grounded with a 12inch ground wire, scope set for 50mv/div and .1us.

I had to do this same test to see what I would get. Not bad considering my ground wire used was a foot long.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is where things get a little more interesting...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is with the probe tip touching the ground post on the scope.

And this is with the probe sitting on the bench ungrounded....
Hmmmmmm!!!!

What's the ringing signal? The second picture just shows a double image due to faulty triggering. I'd zoom out on the first picture to see a few cycles of whatever that signal is.

My Tek 475 is absolutely quiet. With the 10x probe laying around it picks up a good bit of 60Hz and HF noise as is understandable. On the 2mV scale with BW set at 200MHz, the trace does get pretty thick though. Goes thin again with BW reduced to 20MHz. I have little use for anything so high so I usually keep it in this range anyway.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.