Who make the best 10,000uf capacitors

I don't like so much the old BC 136 when alone ! Never tried this one yet !

Never tried BC 136 series, I should in a few weeks...I'm searching a more neutral alternative to Nichicon PW.

Those PMG measure as good as the discontinued Panny TS-HA but sounds much more balanced.

What about some Samwhas?

Once I've replaced a pair of those with Panasonic TS-HA in a chinese DAC, it was a huge improvement in perceived sound.

Seen in some good amp here as well ?

Mine is not? ;)

Never tried BC 136 series, I should in a few weeks...I'm searching a more neutral alternative to Nichicon PW.

Those PMG measure as good as the discontinued Panny TS-HA but sounds much more balanced.

Once I've replaced a pair of those with Panasonic TS-HA in a chinese DAC, it was a huge improvement in perceived sound.

Mine is not? ;)

I really don't know, haven't listen to your and the amp I talked is a classic one with big heatsink and heavy weight (old school): it was from Roer member from Germany...

i believe he spent time too for chosing caps (tested the good Panasonic fc elswhere in the amp, etc)

PS : I saw you use the Nichicon KZ : a good cap when in some aeras : near the transistors for instance with my few experiences ! But need some burning before to sound good : how much time in your own experience ?

Last edited:
I really don't know, haven't listen to your and the amp I talked is a classic one with big heatsink and heavy weight (old school): it was from Roer member from Germany...
I was just joking ;)
PS : I saw you use the Nichicon KZ : a good cap when in some aeras : near the transistors for instance with my few experiences ! But need some burning before to sound good : how much time in your own experience ?

A lot, I would say at least 40-50 hours.

BTW do we talk just about 10 000 uF ? I would say also the Elna Tonorex, but with a little 10 to 20% bypass to open it a little.

Which Kendeil J-P ?

@ ClaveFremen, most of the time the BC 136 gives a matt sound but lack a little of low end, mid is a little colored, it's a good capacitor but hard to use... Have you played with all the Panasonic FC,FM and FR ? results varie a lot in relation to the voltage, not also the capacitance !

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Which Kendeil J-P ?

The thread is started in 2008 so I take the liberty to broaden the horizon to large value caps in general. Let's say any cap above 4700 µF. I don't know about the possible use of the caps but please think of using snap in caps where higher current demand is. In DACs etc. normal radial caps can be used. Snap in caps are way more robust, check datasheets for values. Some manufacturers snap in caps are fine while their normal series have less good properties than other manufacturers normal radial caps for instance. For simplicity I tend to always use snap in caps where ever I can since they are simply better rated. Some devices have PCB's that allow both variants, the choice which type to use is obvious in such cases.

Regarding Kendeil: till now I have used Kendeil series K5 10.000 µF 40V and I liked those. I think Kendeil produces caps for "audiophile" companies too (with accordingly higher price tag). Otherwise I stay with Panasonic TS-HA and TS-UP (at least some values seem to be out of production now), Epcos and Nichicon products. After bad experiences with Jamicon and others I only use A brands and series that are around for a while FWIW. It is always the same: if you can think you can save a few Eurocent you might end up doing the job twice. There is no substitute for quality. Too bad the largest market demands only low price ;) Recently I needed Panasonic 10.000 µF 16V caps and those where out of stock, I got Multicomp HPR series 105 degrees rated caps instead and despite initial reluctance they turn out to be OK.

There is also no real sense in replacing generic old stuff for cheap generic new stuff. If the caps are used in industrial devices then one can often (but not always) safely use those caps. There is not much gain in buying overpriced caps with audiophile gold lettering as these are nowadays often produced by the same large OEMs that produce these caps for industrial purposes. Best tip is to stay away from Ebay and only buy large value caps from reputable distributors.

Last edited:
@ ClaveFremen, most of the time the BC 136 gives a matt sound but lack a little of low end, mid is a little colored, it's a good capacitor but hard to use...

Have you played with all the Panasonic FC,FM and FR ? results varie a lot in relation to the voltage, not also the capacitance !

Sure, the cap I want to replace is a 470uF/63V Nichicon PW, tried FR same ratings, FM 470/50, and FC 220/50 (I've had only those at home).

In that position, compared to no decoupling caps, the FC sounds good with good timbre but a sort of dynamic compression effect and a bit hard on high freqs.

FR good too but timbre is colder in the midrange and hf extension somewhat limited

FM was the better of the 3 with its usual, in my experience, defect, a not very well controlled bass.

Tell me more, please, about your experience with different voltage ratings and Panasonic. :)

Jean-Paul,

Thanks for the Keindel tips. Yes I agree for your advices and proceed already like this.

They putt golden letters on caps eveywhere :rolleyes:.... already saw Sanyo gold (the one with the green body and very low esr) in some computer boards !

When the wallet is full, for big cap and big capacitance, Siemens Sikorel was certainly already imputed here ! I find always my hapyness with Panasonic. I don't like so much Nichicon (I mean in the pure electrolytic range), but the KZ , although serious solid caps !

But I have tons of caps as everybody here and make always extensive test to setup the device in relation to the others hifi links for best results...

@Dario : the Panasonic can be very different in the same type (FR, etc) in relation to the voltage : it's impressive, for instance a FR 1500/16 will be diged in some circuits by a FR 1500/25 as if they were tottally different caps ! It's not just because the voltage is higher : there is no logic about it and the opposite can be true also : for instance FM and FC 1500/16 are god animals, although different timbres you noticed already above but not always true (FM 1500/16v is plenty of bass but you can found Something more tighty in the others FC, or even in the excellent (often, not always) Fc 1800/35V.... : just an example, and short cuts with words of course (and i found no correlation with the datasheets about ESR, etc in the results ?!!

Last edited:
Sure, the cap I want to replace is a 470uF/63V Nichicon PW, tried FR same ratings, FM 470/50, and FC 220/50 (I've had only those at home).

In that position, compared to no decoupling caps, the FC sounds good with good timbre but a sort of dynamic compression effect and a bit hard on high freqs.

FR good too but timbre is colder in the midrange and hf extension somewhat limited

FM was the better of the 3 with its usual, in my experience, defect, a not very well controlled bass.

Tell me more, please, about your experience with different voltage ratings and Panasonic. :)

ClaveFreman please try Vishay Roederstein EKA in that position.They are fantastic sounding Caps for decoupling purpose.